Open back up or stay closed until things are resolved?

I'm not quite sure what to do, and I realize there's no right or wrong answer to this, but I'm not sure whether I should re-open my store and hope for the best or just keep my store closed until this mess is resolved. I realize as well that staying closed(on vacation according to ebay) is the safer bet, but I'm in a difficult position where every possible sale is needed.

Just wondering what the best(not safest) course of action would be...any thoughts would be appreciated...I'm not sure what to do.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@pldmedia wrote:

I'm not quite sure what to do, and I realize there's no right or wrong answer to this, but I'm not sure whether I should re-open my store and hope for the best or just keep my store closed until this mess is resolved. I realize as well that staying closed(on vacation according to ebay) is the safer bet, but I'm in a difficult position where every possible sale is needed.

Just wondering what the best(not safest) course of action would be...any thoughts would be appreciated...I'm not sure what to do.

I'd wait until I see what Monday looks like, then go from there.

As for the "not sure what to do" you're part of very large crowd of sellers when faced with Canada Post.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I too "closed" my store  earlier in June & wished I'd kept it open for a bit as sales had surprisingly been pretty good, So hard to know what to do but I think I will wait till Monday & see if common sense will prevail. I too just want to get on with the business of selling & hate bring held hostage by Canada Post & the union. I have missed 3 weeks sales now waiting to see what will happen so guess a few more days won't hurt.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Katlover1952, I feel the exact same way.  I wish they would get on with it, I don't have any sympathy for the union now.  I feel they are playing games.  

I too have missed three weeks worth of sales and I see that some of my competitors stayed open and have had lots of sales.  

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I closed my eBay store a few weeks ago and I have no regret. It was the right decision.

The store will remain closed until the postal situation is resolved completely.

No stress.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I closed my eBay store a few weeks ago and I have no regret. It was the right decision.

The store will remain closed until the postal situation is resolved completely.

No stress.

But that's because you're "retired" (for some version of "retired"), so selling online is optional for you.

-..-

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

i have to agree with Pierre, but i also do not live off of my store, i will remain closed until there is a clear decision, i won't risk all the worrying and potential issues ..however if they do announce a 30 day cooling off period i will reopen for 2-3 weeks or enough time that anything in the mail will clear before another potential shut down..

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

They have had a 6 month cool off period...  Their contract ended about 6 months ago

What will 30 days more do?

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

"that's because you're "retired""

Not really.  I did the same years ago (before my retirement) when my eBay sales exceeded $10,000 monthly and my website sales were a bit more.

Nobody needs the stress attached to the uncertainty of a postal strike.  A few minutes reading posts on eBay (by both buyers - with expectation of instant service - and sellers) shows stress by so many over a decision to stay open for business but struggling with a much lower level of sales overall (fewer buyers are buying these days) or finding alternative means of shipping/delivery, often at higher costs or time demanding.

Who needs the stress? 

Some sellers who closed their stores may be second guessing themselves but most used their time off constructively. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I've remained open and do not regret it. Sales have been slow, however, because I think shoppers are avoiding online venues (like ebay) where sellers may use Canada Post. Like you, I depend on whatever revenue I gain from sales to pay bills, starting with ebay fees. 

I decided early in this debacle that Canada Post's problems are not my problems and though it may make things more labour-intensive for me, I will use couriers for domestic services, Local Pickup for regional sales, and day trips to the USA for international parcels. That is, once it becomes clear that CPC is shutting down. Until now, I have made an educated guess how long it will take for my order to be in possession of the postal system and weighed it against how many days we know are left of service, and gone from there. I'm counting on at least one more thing to clear customs before Monday 12:01 am.

As to the stress? Well, what is more stressful? Reading the news each hour with bated breath? Counting business days until postal shutdown? Or not being able to pay bills? It's summertime and my many children have expectations for things they expect me to be able to afford for them to have and do. I can't just quit selling because the postal system has failed us.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I agree, I don't need the stress of not knowing if my packages are going to be delivered. I do need my eBay income to supplement our low government pensions, and I am paying almost $60 a month on my store fees.

I have worked on my store every day, and while it is frustrating that I could have stayed open another week, I really don't need the stress, and I know that I just need to wait patiently until this is resolved, it will be sometime!

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Hello all

Just read that they have agreed to 30 day cool off and then binding arbitration.

Does this make a difference to anyone ?

Thanks a bunch

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Not much.

At this time, CUPW hasn't agreed to binding arbitration if no agreement is achieved during the 30 day period.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for your input !

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@purpleziggy434 wrote:

Hello all

Just read that they have agreed to 30 day cool off and then binding arbitration.

Does this make a difference to anyone ?

Thanks a bunch

Yes it does, at least for me. I re-opened my store, and even created a sale, hoping it will make up for the lost sales since I closed.

At my real work (I mean outside of eBay), we shipped all the correspondance we had retained when news of an additional 30 days negociation was announced.

Let's hope that the additonal days will be enough for both Canada Post and the Unions to find a solution.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I think you had better reread or listen to the news.

I got that the union flatly said no, it appears they do not want binding arbitration period.Palecek need to go for a psych exam or is he trying to act like Jimmy Hoffa?

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

dm5519
Community Member

From the Calgary Herald:

OTTAWA - Hope that a work stoppage at Canada Post could be avoided for at least one more month faded Friday as a proposed truce fell apart over what the union called a "poison pill" from the Crown corporation.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers, facing being locked out by their employer on Monday, and Canada Post were both ready to agree to a 30-day cooling off period that would keep packages and mail moving under the old contract and let negotiations continue without the threat of a work stoppage.

But Canada Post said it was willing to continue bargaining for another month only if the union agreed to binding arbitration in the event a deal could not be reached — a proposition CUPW had previously rejected.

The union's executive couldn't agree to the Canada Post proposal, saying binding arbitration would be giving up their right to negotiate a deal.

Without a truce or deal, Canada Post will be in a legal position to lock out the 50,000 unionized employees starting Monday at 12:01 a.m. ET, after pushing back a Friday ultimatum.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/canada+post+union+calls+30day+truce+talks+without+strike+locko...

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

wow thanks for that

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I re-opened. I have to have hope they can settle this mess(and settle it soon). If I don't get sales I will not last long, so I'll have to take my chances.

I don't like it, but I have to. Until there is no other choice but to close shop.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

There's always other choices in the form of Local Pickup or couriers.
Message 20 of 27
latest reply