Opening a .com Account

Does anyone know if I would have to start from scratch on a .com account?  With seller limitations and zero feedback etc.?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Opening a .com Account

"Does anyone know..."

I do.

Canadian sellers already registered on eBay.ca (since 2001) do not need to register on eBay.com to sell on eBay.com or any other eBay site.  Your current account can be used to list on eBay.com, eBay.uk, eBay.au, etc...

Sellers with an eBay store have the same privilege.  ONE and only ONE eBay store per seller.  The store will include ALL listings in ALL currencies, regardless of the eBay sites where the items are listed.

"Legacy users" (like myself and several other sellers registered with eBay prior to 2000) are registered and remain registered on eBay.com.  In most instances, it does not matter. They can still have a store on eBay.ca and list on any sites they want. Members with a Canadian address currently attempting to register with eBay will automatically be registered on eBay.ca.

What credit card or bank accounts you have are all irrelevant to country of registration.

As far as PayPal is concerned, all members can have several currency balances (US$, Cdn$, £. €, etc...).  None of that has to do with country of registration.

Looking at hundreds of posts since yesterday afternoon, I quite frankly cannot believe the amount of misinformation or plainly bad information posted by experienced sellers who should know better.

Too many assumptions based on limited information.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Opening a .com Account

If you are in Canada I don't think you can open an account on .com, you can only have an account on .ca. You can, however, list on .com using your .ca account.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

If you start from scratch and open a new ID on .com or .ca  the answer is yes........0 feedback and listing limits.

You are only allowed one ID per email address, but you can have multiple Ebay IDS in one Pay Pal account.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

WRONG

I am in Canada and have a .com Ebay account as well as a US Paypal account and have had for many years.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

But I thought you had to have a US address for a .com account? If I am wrong, sorry,

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

This is interesting, I registered back in 1999 before there was a .CA. But I thought I got notified at some point that I was migrated to .CA when they created .CA.

I've looked but I don't know how to tell what site I am registered on... I had presumed it was .CA now but I can't find the spot that says.....

Also noticed that I'm registered as an individual instead of a business, not sure if that matters either??
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

Your .ca account would work for listing on .com. I would wonder about reporting of your sales data, is that being passed to the IRS for .com sales for .ca registered accounts?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

"Does anyone know..."

I do.

Canadian sellers already registered on eBay.ca (since 2001) do not need to register on eBay.com to sell on eBay.com or any other eBay site.  Your current account can be used to list on eBay.com, eBay.uk, eBay.au, etc...

Sellers with an eBay store have the same privilege.  ONE and only ONE eBay store per seller.  The store will include ALL listings in ALL currencies, regardless of the eBay sites where the items are listed.

"Legacy users" (like myself and several other sellers registered with eBay prior to 2000) are registered and remain registered on eBay.com.  In most instances, it does not matter. They can still have a store on eBay.ca and list on any sites they want. Members with a Canadian address currently attempting to register with eBay will automatically be registered on eBay.ca.

What credit card or bank accounts you have are all irrelevant to country of registration.

As far as PayPal is concerned, all members can have several currency balances (US$, Cdn$, £. €, etc...).  None of that has to do with country of registration.

Looking at hundreds of posts since yesterday afternoon, I quite frankly cannot believe the amount of misinformation or plainly bad information posted by experienced sellers who should know better.

Too many assumptions based on limited information.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

it's unfortunately the atmosphere that Ebay has presented in the last few years. Where in this particular instance is about our money. Hits a nerve. I agree Pierre everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. It's not happening tomorrow. Educate yourselves on the best move to make. Yesterday when I heard the news , I got a little beside myself but after a little time I realized that I will be able either work with the decision or work around it

This is Jersey...Authentix. Ebay isnt allowing me to post due to what they call error so I am using this account. Doesn't seem to be an error on this account.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

Well gee Pierre, I did say I was sorry! 😀

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

@hlmacdon wrote:

Your .ca account would work for listing on .com. I would wonder about reporting of your sales data, is that being passed to the IRS for .com sales for .ca registered accounts?

No, our .com sales data is not being passed on to the IRS and we don't have to pay taxes to the U.S. just because we list on .com.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

"Well gee Pierre, I did say I was sorry!"

I did not mean to target you.  I have seen hundreds of posts with misleading or plain wrong information in the last two days.  Please do not take my comment personally.  It was not addressed to you.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

As Pierre mentions, we can post anywhere we want. I know a couple of Canadian sellers who sell in Euros or pounds.

I never really thought about it but i imagine they post from England or France ebay site. They sell magazines or books

that buyers from France or Belgium look for, but have no interest in North America. Seller could be based in Laval, QC

(just an example) but his adds look like a .uk or France add.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

My approach has always been to list in the local currency of the target audience.

My eBay stuff is intended for Americans, has always been sold on .COM in US$ (since 1999)

(I did once upon a time experiment with listing items on a variety of eBay sites but it was too much work, haven't revisited that experiment in a long time)

Other stuff intended for Europeans is listed in Euros

Other stuff intended for British folks is listed in Pounds

Other stuff intended for Canadian customers is listed in $C

Folks buying off the "wrong" location end up paying a somewhat relative amount in that local currency. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

Question for you Pierre; when many of us switch to .com to list, how will this affect our ability to print shipping labels? Affected or not effected?

Will we still be able to charge Canadians appropriate taxes using our tax table? Reason I ask is I listed 1 item on .com and went to see if the tax table carried our Provinces, but all I was able to see was the US states.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

It's okay Pierre, I was just teasing you!

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

"Will we still be able to charge Canadians appropriate taxes using our tax table?"

Yes as long as the tax table is properly filled on eBay.ca and your eBay.com listings show tax table available.

"when many of us switch to .com to list, how will this affect our ability to print shipping labels? Affected or not effected?'

I do not know as I never used the eBay/PayPal shipping postage labels.  I use genuine postage stamps exclusively on all outgoing mail regardless of size, including the largest box I ever shipped to Qatar (about 10 years ago) with over $170.00 worth of postage stamps licked on all six sides! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

"teasing you!"

Mary assumed you were flirting with me. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Opening a .com Account

You can still print shipping labels from .ca regardless of where your listing is. Or, you can print labels directly from Paypal.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply