Package returned for invalid address, thinking possible fraud???

Hey there 🙂  So 2 weeks ago I sold a Macbook Pro to a buyer with 0 feedback. The transaction went relatively smooth. However I had a "gut feeling" that something wasnt right , right from the beginning of the sale.   

The buyers address was confirmed in PayPal and PayPal had me  covered for seller protection, also the buyers account wasnt exactly new, it had been open since september of 2014. So I thought maybe they just hadnt purchased anything, or maybe havent received feedback (as I find a lot of ebayers do not leave feedback).  Everything seemed good, but based on my experience the transaction still left me cautious.  I had spoke with the buyer a few times and had good communication, so I shipped the item.

Well just a hour ago Canada Post brought the package back. I verified the address was posted correctly, so it wasnt an error on my part. Finally, I decided to google maps the address and I discovered that the address does not exist and there were a lot of run down looking houses on the street (according to google maps pics).  Now I am waiting to hear back from the customer I also find it odd the customer hasnt contacted me as delivery was only to be 4 days . I assumed the customer had the package, until it arrived at my door today.

So I have a funny feeling this is going to come back as fraud.  No my question is peoples past experiences with seller protection.  Thankfully I have the package, but my concern is this. If the item does turn out to be fraudulant, then obviously paypal will reverse the transaction. However, even though I got the item back would I still get any kinda credit to cover my $140 ebay listing fee and $50 shipping fee?  

Or am   just out $200 for doing my sale properly??

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I believe you can file as a cancelled sale and use the "Incorrect address given" as the reason. Ebay will send the cancellation request to the buyer and if they don't answer within 7 days it is closed and ebay refunds your FVF. Not your listing fees though. And you will still be out shipping costs. I think you should call and speak to ebay about this though, you may get a refund from them since you did everything correctly.

Maybe someone else can give you more advice if they have had this happen to them.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I sold an item ---> I wish to cancel the transaction ---> find listing ---> chose problem with address.

Refund is done immediately, FVF refund is immediate. Yes, you are out the shipping.

You "could" go into PP, find the transaction, do a partial refund keeping the shipping and FVF cost. This is starting to get complicated. I would hang on a bit and see if the customer comes back to you.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have heard of similar cases when the seller was able to deduct the shipping from the refund and still get their fvf partially credited but I don't know when they allow that and you woul probably have to contact customer service by phone. But first you should contact the buyer, let them know what happened and get their side of the story. It is possible that the p.o goofed up
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

to google maps the address and I discovered that the address does not exist

Sometimes Google does not have up to date pictures on line. Especially in areas undergoing gentrification or new construction.

Don't spend the money you got back yet. Allow not just the 45 day Dispute period to complete, but also the 60 day FB period.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply