Paypal shipping is asking for the HS code, what is that?

I am trying to print a tracked package label, it is now asking for the province as well as the country, and an HS code, I have no idea what that is.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Paypal shipping is asking for the HS code, what is that?

mr.elmwood wrote:
Ya had me at "textile historian".

Well, it's simple: next time you put on your polyester pants, just think "big oil".  (LOL - sorry, couldn't resist Woman Very Happy)

Message 21 of 65
latest reply

THANKS CANADA POST.....What a JOKE.

Paypal is not sure if this is a permanent move or not.

I sell mostly "other printed matter"

Are HS Codes are different for every country? ? ? they all start the same...491199.....to the USA, But for the UK its 4911990000

Do you need to add the Zeros???

Way to drag on printing labels....especially when you have to make 30 or more in a night

Message 22 of 65
latest reply

What does this have to do with CP? This is about Customs at the importing country.
Photobucket
Message 23 of 65
latest reply

No it's canada post. They are the ones implementing it

Message 24 of 65
latest reply

They are being forced to implement this. Americans have been doing stuff like this for years.
Photobucket
Message 25 of 65
latest reply

well pardon me then......canada post still a joke though

Message 26 of 65
latest reply

You shouldn't need the 0's

Message 27 of 65
latest reply

Americans have been doing stuff like this for years.

I've seen larger companies using the HS codes but I don't think it was required by the USPS for every importer.

Message 28 of 65
latest reply

Well thank you very much.  I didnt think it was necessary because some countries have upwards of 10 zeros.

if youre like me and pretty well sell the same type of items, it isnt so bad i guess.

Would just be nice if Canada Post would notify everyone about it.

Message 29 of 65
latest reply

Canada post has as search for the HS code. It worked for the first 2 I verified. Took 10 seconds. I sell about 10-20 different categories. Once they are done, it will be a breeze. 

This is good news for all regular sellers. Once you know your codes, then its not much extra work. This will discourage more newbie sellers who list on ebay. 

As for Canada Post. They are the bomb! They are cheap, fast, professional. 

I will pick Canada post over any carrier any day. (Local drivers are all good, but UPS and FEDEX are a the real joke)

When there was the Canada Post strike, I sent through UPS. Besides costing an arm and a leg, they charged me a service charge for incorrect labeling (They didn't have any plastic ship to labels so I used a plastic zip loc). Then they charge for an illegible shipment (I print them out), charged a surcharge for weight (I weigh my items), and charged a surcharge for address lookup ( the address was correct) and I could do nothing to get the charges back. 

Canada Post is by far, IMHO, the best of them all and the HS codes are good news for regular sellers. There's a reason why big business endorses more regulation is because it squeezes out the small guys. The same holds true for this. Noob sellers will be disheartened by the amount of hoops ebay, paypal, and now shipping international makes you go through. 

Message 30 of 65
latest reply

THANK YOU FOR THIS!  I couldn't ship but removing the periods works!  You saved my day.

Message 31 of 65
latest reply

rose-dee, that was a great help. I didn't realize that so many fibers could designated as yarn. I thought of yarn just for knitting, crochet etc. Our daughter and SIL had a company that wove fiberglass threads into industrial mops, but I don't think they ever thought of it as yarn.

This morning I decided to look up other categories for the items I sell, like sweaters I make and sell on eBay with the yarn that is giving me so many problems. When I put in sweater, all they wanted was baby or other, and acrylic or natural fiber. I also sell embroidery kits, and they contain paper instructions, cloth, wool yarn, cotton thread, a sewing needle etc. I wondered just how complicated this was going to be. Not so, I put in embroidery kit, and that was it, the code came up.

I think they should have a separate designation for knitting and crochet yarn, it would be far less complicated.

Message 32 of 65
latest reply

I really think Canada Post dosnt want to be in the parcel shipping business , they have stopped me from selling overseas with their high prices no tracking no coverage unless you send by taxi it seems. now HS codes that may or maynot even work. I just used 123456 and it went through. Fedex is cheaper if used thru a shipping depot store, never use UPS as they will hit you up for extra duties, Duties are included with Fedex up to $200.00  just getting harder and more expensive to Ebay now. selling more on Craigslist helps but not as big. guess I just suck it up until its all over and they all price themselves out of business.

Message 33 of 65
latest reply

Triber, can you please post the HS for embroidery kit? Thank you!

Message 34 of 65
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I printed the copy of HS codes, I see only 3 out of 99 that I  can use.  It is insane that Canada Post needs to come up with HS codes and for what??

When I was trying to purchase the shipping label via PayPal last night and it came up asking for HS and I went 123456 and it went through!! Duh to PayPal system for allowing it go through!!

Message 35 of 65
latest reply

When I was trying to purchase the shipping label via PayPal last night and it came up asking for HS and I went 123456 and it went through!! Duh to PayPal system for allowing it go through!!

I hope that your package doesn't get stopped at customs.

Message 36 of 65
latest reply

@dubblebubblegum wrote:

I really think Canada Post dosnt want to be in the parcel shipping business ................

______________________________________________________________________________________________

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

On the one hand we know that they are advertising and working hard to get more parcel business..........

On the other hand, they priced shipping so high that a lot of items simply can't be sold on line thus losing all that business.

They've also decreased service.

I'm not sure about outgoing mail, but more of my incoming packages are arriving damaged and they are also very noticeably delayed.

Higher prices / Reduced service .

What's wrong with this picture?

Message 37 of 65
latest reply

Vintagenorth: its 630800

Message 38 of 65
latest reply

The Government website page does not work!  When I try to search nothing happens.  Does anyone know where there is a list of these codes?

Message 39 of 65
latest reply

If you mean the Cdn government site that I posted about, it worked for me one minute ago. Try the Canada Post site at:  www.canadapost.ca/customs

Message 40 of 65
latest reply