Paypal shipping is asking for the HS code, what is that?

I am trying to print a tracked package label, it is now asking for the province as well as the country, and an HS code, I have no idea what that is.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

You can get the HS code here

www.canadapost.ca/customs

There is more information on this thread

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-Customs-process-at-PO/m-p/216328#U216328

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

It is Harmonzied system code ...

Just by the different thing you have listed that is REALLY GOING TO SUCK FOR YOU ...

Message 3 of 65
latest reply

Brande... you are right, this new stuff is going to be a real pain for folks who sell a variety of different HS codes.... thank goodness I only sell "one" HS code type!!!
Message 4 of 65
latest reply

Thanks for the help, I must have missed this new customs details, I thought it was just new forms if you paid at the PO.

You are right, a real pain. I was shipping yarn, and I had to put in the material content, and I didn't understand one of the approx. 25 options! The yarn was nylon, but I guess that was too simple. I am not looking forward to having to find the code for yarn with 4 or 5 different fabric contents!

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

The more changes going on this year is really going to put the crunch on some people ... Some sellers are going to really have to start wieghing time and effort versus profits because ya Cost going up .. Changes consuming more time ... Fun fun

I just went to check yarn earlier and ya that is crazy .. You would think they would just give you one code for yarn but no not even close that is ridiculous ...

Message 6 of 65
latest reply

I have no idea what most of these are, what knitting yarn has filaments?

artificial filament

artificial monofilament

artificial staple fibre

synthetic filament

synthetic monofilament

synthetic staple fibre

vegetable textile fibre

I guess I could put it all under other textile material

Message 7 of 65
latest reply

what knitting yarn has filaments?

Since filament is a synonym for thread, I would think all of them.

Message 8 of 65
latest reply

When I googled filament, it is often used to describe thin wire. I would not want to put that as the category. I have been knitting for 66 years, and never heard of yarn having filaments.

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

What a flippin pain. I already have to create a prior notice with the US  FDA for each shipment of jam to the US 😞

Message 10 of 65
latest reply

Of course made worse by the stupid site not accepting the **bleep** codes.... bicycle tires...hs 4011.50.0000 and it keeps telling me to put a valid 6 to 13 digit code... THAT is the valid code.

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

Remove the . (periods) and it will work. Yes, what a joke this is. # packages just took me 30 minutes to print labels - normally 5 minutes - unreal!

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

Tribe... as a suggestion, try a few of them and see if they all end up creating the same HS code result...

In my category, there were a number of options/levels, I tried picking several different ones and thankfully they all generated the same HS code.....

It may turn out that yours generates the same HS code too?

Message 13 of 65
latest reply

Thanks, I didn't even think about that. I don't suppose customs is going to open my package and check the material content anyway.

Message 14 of 65
latest reply

YEP! They seem to know how to complicate things. I am selling used motorcycle parts and will try to put a universal code to see if it works. I found out as using other part I will put code 8714.19 to see if it works.

Message 15 of 65
latest reply

I know there are other vinyl record sellers here. I was having trouble finding the code but finally found it searching "recorded Media" then "Other" then Country of Origin and then "Other" again.

The code for Phonograph Records if anyone is interested is: 8523.80.10.00

This brings me to another question, which I've been meaning to ask for a long time. Country of Origin. I've (probably mistakenly) been putting Canada. Many of the records that I sell are made in Europe or USA. Am I supposed to put the Country where they were made? Even if they were imported to Canada long ago by a past retailer?

I guess I should start doing this right and that's not usually what make sense to me.

Message 16 of 65
latest reply

megtek
Community Member

According to Paypal, apparently Canada Post changed their requirements for the shipping labels. I don't know why we need to find the HS code because it isn't even printing on the label.... at least it didn't on the expedited parcel label I just did

Message 17 of 65
latest reply

vintagenorth posted this as a new thread.

I found a government site that actually made it a lot easier to find my correct HS codes:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cid-dic.nsf/eng/00011.html

Then go to the left side and "Search by Product"

At the very least it confirmed what I had found on other sites.

Paper sewing pattern HS code 491199 (Paper, printed matter, other)

Cotton fabric woven under 100 gms weight 520851

Cotton fabric woven 101 to 200 gms weight 520852

If anyone thinks my choices are really incorrect, please let me know.

Message 18 of 65
latest reply

@triber wrote:

I have no idea what most of these are, what knitting yarn has filaments?

artificial filament

artificial monofilament

artificial staple fibre

synthetic filament

synthetic monofilament

synthetic staple fibre

vegetable textile fibre

I guess I could put it all under other textile material

As a textile historian, maybe I can help with this one.  "Filament" in textile manufacturing refers to the "strand" of which textiles, yarns and things like carpets are made of.  Many filaments are twisted to form a larger strand, which can then be woven into cloth, carpets, etc. or twisted with other strands to form hanks of yarn. 

"Artificial" means a chemical filament, i.e. not a product derived from a natural source.  Examples of artificial filament are polyester (made from petroleum), nylon, Orlon, Dacron and other chemical derivatives.  The difference between filament, monofilament and staple fibre is in the manufacturing process -- a monofilament is a single, uninterrupted, extruded strand (like a wire) -- think very thin, unbroken spaghetti.  Nylon is often produced in monofilament -- invisible nylon thread is an example, or fishing line. 

An artificial filament is usually 2, 3 or 4 strands tightly spun together.  Most artificial garment textiles and yarns are examples, as are most polyester sewing threads.  An artificial staple fibre is one that consists of spun elements of shorter lengths, producing a softer, fluffier texture, depending on length and fineness.  Polyester intended for garments that mimic wool would be an example of something made from an artificial staple fibre.

A nylon knitting yarn is an artificial product, and if it's soft and lightweight, probably an artificial staple fibre.  The same applies for Orlon knitting yarns.  I doubt it really matters which of the 3 types you pick, as long as you choose one of the "artificial" item codes.   

The same designations apply to synthetic fibres - filament, monofilament and staple fibre.  Synthetic fibres are man-made but derived from natural sources.  These are the rayons, cuprominiums, Tencel and other synthetically-produced fibres that use plant material as the raw input, which is then chemically treated in various ways to produce a finished product.  Most cheap rayon is made from wood fibre, but there are new rayons made from bamboo and other plant products.  Because they are inherently weak fibres, they do not make good monofilaments, and are usually spun into multi-strand filaments during the extrusion process.     

Natural fibres can also be classified according to whether they are filament, monofilament or staple fibres.  Silk is a good example of a fibre that can be easily produced in all 3 types.  Cotton, linen and wool can't be produced as monofilaments unless highly treated chemically (and then what would be the point?).  They are almost always staple fibres, of varying fineness and length -- the very best cottons and wools are extremely fine, long fibres (like Merino wool or Pima/Egyptian cotton).  One of the oddest natural monofilament fibres I've ever seen made into a garment was spider silk, collected and woven into an incredibly lustrous golden cape.  I forget how many pounds of spider silk were needed!

This is probably more than you wanted to know on this subject, right?  Woman Very Happy

Message 19 of 65
latest reply

Ya had me at "textile historian".
Photobucket
Message 20 of 65
latest reply