Question about a refund if no paypal account.

rykkm
Community Member

If you purchase an item, and for whatever reason the sale is voided after payment received (either through an INR or other claim), how does a refund work if no paypal account?

I deactivated my paypal account years ago, but with occasional purchases, you can use your credit card through paypal for one time transactions, if I understand it correctly. So, if a refund is processed, and there is no paypal account, does it automatically get credited back to your CC?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Frank Leahy
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Question about a refund if no paypal account.

If you enter the word "refund" in the search box of the PayPal page (link above), PayPal advises:

Note:

• If you paid with your debit card or credit card, your payment is refunded to your debit card or credit card. It may take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

"does it automatically get credited back to your CC?"

Since the payment was made through PayPal, I suggest you contact PayPal and ask them.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/mer/WAX_landing-outside 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

If you enter the word "refund" in the search box of the PayPal page (link above), PayPal advises:

Note:

• If you paid with your debit card or credit card, your payment is refunded to your debit card or credit card. It may take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Glad you found it. Maybe the search parameters I was using were wrong, but couldn't find the right answer. Thanks

Rick

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

So, regarding the transaction in question, item never did arrive. I contacted the seller, as.the tracking number showed item had never moved beyond the electronic info submitted hy shipper stage. Seller apologized, and sent a cancellation of transaction request. Now, the ebay warning shows that I should not accept this until I receive the refund, which is fine. However, upon further examination, paypal states that refund could take up to 30 days. I only have 7 to either accept or decline, which is where my quandry lies.

Do I accept, knowing it is possible I could be out this money, as refund not processed yet, or wait? If I do nothing, the cancellation goes through. Very strange. Any further advice on this?

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@rykkm wrote:

So, regarding the transaction in question, item never did arrive. I contacted the seller, as.the tracking number showed item had never moved beyond the electronic info submitted hy shipper stage. Seller apologized, and sent a cancellation of transaction request. Now, the ebay warning shows that I should not accept this until I receive the refund, which is fine. However, upon further examination, paypal states that refund could take up to 30 days. I only have 7 to either accept or decline, which is where my quandry lies.

Do I accept, knowing it is possible I could be out this money, as refund not processed yet, or wait? If I do nothing, the cancellation goes through. Very strange. Any further advice on this?

What about the option of rejecting the cancellation?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Possibility as well. I am tempted to wait for a few days, see if transaction reversal shows on my credit card statement, and go from there. I could also open an INR claim, but I am unsure as I have never dealt with a cancelled transaction before.

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hello Rick,

To begin with, you cannot open an Item Not Received claim if you do not have a paypal account.  You do, however, have a credit card, so if no refund is forthcoming, you can file a chargeback with your card company.

A word about card refunds, - when a seller refunds after a transaction the item in your Purchase History will show the dollar sign icon with the curvy arrow to indicate the money has 'gone back'.  Do you have that?

Any time a refund happens the money always goes back where it came from.  With credit card purchases that means it goes on to your card.

When the seller uses the refund link to return your payment, you will instantly get a notice in your regular email.  Even though it is a card payment, because paypal processes the transaction you will get a notice saying "Your paypal payment has been refunded".  Do you have that?

Whilst it may take a month for the refund to appear on the next statement coming to your home, if you phone the 1-800 (or 1-888) number for your card you can hear the list of recent transactions to your account.  A refund should not take more than a few days to show up there.  So right now, call your card company and hear your recent transactions.  Is the refund on it?

As you know, you must get your refund before you accept the cancellation.  That is why ebay stipulates that people not accept until they have got their money back. 

If your Purchase History listing does not indicate a payment reversal, you have not received a refund notice in your regular email, and there is no mention of a credit on your card transactions, then I urge you most strenuously to not accept that cancellation.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I had not noticed until this morning, but yes, the payment icon does indeed show the return arrow in it. I am assuming this means that seller has initiated the refund process. That being said, I guess I am safe to accept the cancellation request. It may show up in my banking info as an authorized transaction, in this case a credit, in the next couple of days. Sorry to be a pain here. Just never have dealt with this issue before. Help has been appreciated.

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If it still goes pear-shaped, the credit card chargeback option will still be available to you, even if Paypal did not complete the refund as requested.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I thank everyone for their advice and input. Credit showed up overnight on CC, so my anxiety level is back down...lol!

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@dmil8030 wrote:

Hello Rick,

To begin with, you cannot open an Item Not Received claim if you do not have a paypal account. 

I'm not so sure about that part.... he still paid with PayPal, so he is still covered by eBay. Of course, he cannot open a dispute on PayPal, but if he bought the item on eBay.COM, he can still open a case on eBay.

With that said, I read that the OP got his money back, so all is good 🙂

Message 12 of 12
latest reply