Scammed by a buyer

A few days ago I was scammed by one of my buyers who won several of my ebay auctions. The buyer won them all for a little over $20 and it cost me over $40 for the items because she got some for .01 .    She then asked if I could send one item to a family member for her has a gift and she wanted to know the shipping charge. I only charged her $6.95 more and she would not respond to me for several days , I kept trying ang trying to contact her to ask her if she wanted the item shipped or  not . After several days she contacted me and asked me to cancel her order. I have the items drop shipped from a warehouse and once I make the order I can not cancel it and I clearly stated in my auctions that I do not give refunds or returns. She kept asking and asking for a refund after I explained everything to her, I sent her a tracking number several times and she reported to ebay that I didn't  ebay issued her a full refund and now she is going to get all her items she won in the mail in a day or two. I would contact ebay support but I had problems with another seller before and after many requests and filling out forms to ebay , ebay did nothing to help me and sided with the seller.  I do not know why I am treated like this because I have a perfect ebay account.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Scammed by a buyer

@2011perry0208 wrote:

A few days ago I was scammed by one of my buyers who won several of my ebay auctions. The buyer won them all for a little over $20 and it cost me over $40 for the items because she got some for .01 .    She then asked if I could send one item to a family member for her has a gift and she wanted to know the shipping charge. I only charged her $6.95 more and she would not respond to me for several days , I kept trying ang trying to contact her to ask her if she wanted the item shipped or  not . After several days she contacted me and asked me to cancel her order. I have the items drop shipped from a warehouse and once I make the order I can not cancel it and I clearly stated in my auctions that I do not give refunds or returns. She kept asking and asking for a refund after I explained everything to her, I sent her a tracking number several times and she reported to ebay that I didn't  ebay issued her a full refund and now she is going to get all her items she won in the mail in a day or two. I would contact ebay support but I had problems with another seller before and after many requests and filling out forms to ebay , ebay did nothing to help me and sided with the seller.  I do not know why I am treated like this because I have a perfect ebay account.

There is no such thing as "I do not give refunds or returns" on eBay.  As far as they are concerned, you are a retail store, and all retail stores accept returns and give refunds.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I see. Thank you very much for the info.

But the buyer scammed her way into getting a full refund but she will still get everything delivered to her from my drop shipper

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Another good reason to avoid drop shipping

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes , I see what you mean. But all my orders were sent and received perfectly and all the rest of my buyers were perfect but I only takes one bad buyer to work the system and cause as much trouble as possible to scam a seller to get free stuff and ruin your ebay account like this one did. But I still see what you mean because I couldn't cancel the order because I used a drop shipper.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hey , I just remembered why is there an option when listing to accept returns or do not accept returns if you saying There is no such thing as "I do not give refunds or returns" on eBay.  As far as they are concerned, you are a retail store, and all retail stores accept returns and give refunds.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You can say it. It's certainly not illegal. Not even 'eBay illegal'.

But you can't enforce it because accepting Paypal means you accept their Buyer Protection Policy, which does allow the buyer to return* the unwanted item for a full refund.

The problems are that 'no returns' and 'no refunds' (which are not the same thing) are unfriendly terms of sale. Especially when the buyer has not been able to inspect the items before paying for them.

So many good buyers will pass your items by, in favour of a seller who will accept returns/refunds on the exact same items. Even if that seller has a higher price.

The only winner in your case is the dropshipper.

You get all the negative feedback, trashed DSRs, and no money.

But let's revisit that starting the auction at a penny.

Who gave you that advice?

If you race for the bottom all your customers will be bottomfeeders and they are not going to be nice people.

Raise your prices. Make sure your asking price at a minimum covers your fees.

In my opinion, you cannot do more than break even on eBay unless your minimum price is $9.99. And that presupposes that your procurement cost is under a loonie.

In addition, many consumers believe that the more you pay for something the better it will be. Which is not always true. And the buyer who is willing to pay more , will be happier with his purchase than the 'armed bargain hunter'.

*The buyer has to pay for the return postage and must be able to prove the return by using a tracked/Delivery Confirmed service. before PP will reimburse him.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

You can say it. It's certainly not illegal. Not even 'eBay illegal'.

But you can't enforce it because accepting Paypal means you accept their Buyer Protection Policy, which does allow the buyer to return* the unwanted item for a full refund.

Paypal and Ebay buyer protection policies, while close, are not the same. According to the OP, eBay has already refunded the buyer.

This sounds like a case of buyer remorse, the buyer did not even receive the items yet.  I don't understand the decision of eBay if the OP's facts are correct.  As per eBay policy, the Money Back Guarantee only applies:

"Buyers can use the eBay Money Back Guarantee when:

• They don't receive an item

• They receive an item that doesn't match the listing description

Purchases are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee when all of the following are true:

• An item isn't received or it isn't as described in the listing.

• A buyer reports that they didn't receive an item or requests a return within the eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines.

Not covered

• Buyer's remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn't as described in the listing (see the seller's return policy for return options).

Again, if the OP is accurate there should be no refund according to eBay policy. 

I have been following eBay and Paypal discussion threads throughout the internet and I am concerned that their employees are incorrectly interpreting the policy, improperly enforcing it, are poorly training or a combination of all.

The problems are that 'no returns' and 'no refunds' (which are not the same thing) are unfriendly terms of sale. Especially when the buyer has not been able to inspect the items before paying for them.

So many good buyers will pass your items by, in favour of a seller who will accept returns/refunds on the exact same items. Even if that seller has a higher price.

Agreed, that is why I allow returns.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

because she got some for .01 .  

Don't ever list anything for a penny.

That doesn't even cover your eBay fees.

Plus the customers are the worst bottomfeeders and soooo entitled.

This has been a learning experience for you. Doncha hate those?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply