Seems to be THE way to make a dollar these days ...

I recently sold a book about adopting Retired Racing Greyhounds, and have just receved an email from the buyer - asking me to view and maybe bid on HER auctions. The wording of her auctions is very misleading, proceeds are supposedly going to a greyhound rescue charity, but in actuality she is raising money to pay for her own dog:

Fund Raising for Retired Racing Greyhound

Retired Racing Greyhound Adoption Fund

All proceeds earned from the sales of any of my items will be put towards the funding needed to adopt a retired racing greyhound.  Over 10,000 dogs each year are put down needlessly at the young ages of anywhere between 3-5 yrs old simply because they can no longer keep up with the pack.  These dogs make loving, loyal and gentle pets and are forever grateful to you for saving their lives.

Please help me save at least one.  His name racing name is Jick Johnson and I would like to rename him Titus... meaning giant... and a Gentle Giant he is.

Thank you all for your support! 

tacky tacky tacky

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

shooger
Community Member
Well if you can sell spirits, advertising space on your scrotum, strangely shaped burritos that look like the Queen mother, and farts in a jar, you can certainly sell, uh.... whatever it is that woman's selling.

But yeah, it's very lame.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
You can also report her to eBay for spamming.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Her listings should be pulled by eBay. If she is stating some or all of the proceeds are going to a charitable organization in her listing, it can only be one of the few recognized by eBay and a minimum of $10 frm the sale must go to that recognized eBay charity (I believe through the extra fees they charge).

Notify eBay.

Malcolm
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

proud-to-offer
Community Member
She can also be reported for fund raising without going through Ebay's "Mission Fish" program:

Sellers may only solicit on behalf of recognized 501c3 or 501c4 charitable organizations.

~Bonnie
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

proud-to-offer
Community Member
Sorry Malcolm,
I was off doing something else and came back and hit the post button. Sorry, to repeat what you basically said.
~Bonnie
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I did report this, nothing happened so far.
If you read the text carefully, no-where does she actually state that the proceeds are going to a particular charity, although I think it is strongly inferred. She also has links on her 'me' page to a Greyhound adoption charity, right under the "Retired Racing Greyhound Adoption Fund" stuff.
I'll take odds that ebay will not pull these auctions.
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
eBay makes money regardless and that is what eBay is all about in the end!

Bonnie, great minds think alike and at the same time.

Malcolm
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

proud-to-offer
Community Member
Malcolm, Indeed...and fools seldom differ 😉
~Bonnie
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

dragons_horde
Community Member
Man folks get off collective high horse! She is not misleading anyone. She isn't raising money for a charity she is raising money for her dog!

It is not unusual to find auctions that seller's explain their reason for selling something. (need money for a car, need money for my wedding, etc.) On some level this is just smart merchandizing.

Many sellers use their listings to support certain causes and use them to espouse certain beliefs (support our troops or god bless all of you etc.)

I don't think her listings are carefully worded assuming the above is accurate she is telling it exactly like it is...I want to sell "x" so I can buy "y". (the fact that "y" is a purchase from a charitable organization is both laudable and totally irrelevant)
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I'd have to reluctantly side with the seller on this one. Unlike the previous lengthy discussion this listing seems quite clear that the seller wants to adopt a particular Greyhound and is soliciting funds to do so.

The only problem I would have is if the sellers claim is bogus and has no intention of doing anything other than pocketing the money.

I do think it violates discussion board rules but that's a more minor issue in my mind.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Actually forget my comment about board rules....the OP is NOT the seller, just a cut+paste from an active listing placed here for our entertainment!

Ben

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
The problem is anyone can use a sad case scenario to peddle their wares and get more sales as a result.

It would be similar to me listing my musical instruments and saying that I am raising money for a heart operation or the proceeds are going to save my house which is 3 months behind in its mortgage payments and the bank is at the back door.

eBay wants a level playing field and such appeals are not allowed unless the funds are designated for a recongnized charity , registered through eBay.

eBay instituted these rules as a result of what was becoming an epidemic of fund raising auctions, with none of the proceeds going to the promised charities.

She may in fact be running a legitimate auction with all the proceeds going towards saving Greyhounds and part of the proceeds being used to purchase a greyhound for herself.

Or maybe she isnt and it is a method used to increase sales through people's generosity and care for our 4-legged friends.

eBay decided they could not investigate each case so they made a rule.

Lets face it, we sell to put food on our plates, to pay rent and/or mortgages, gas in the car, school books for our kids, to nuy a dog or cat or budgie etc etc etc. Use any of those in your listings in a way to get some sympathy and you might increase your sales 25% or more.

At least until eBay pulls your listings that is.

Malcolm
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Hey Malcolm...just wondering what you would think if I put this up for auction....

------------------------------------------------------
BAG OF AIR

This fine bag of air was collected outside my front door, probably contains some toxins but doesn't smell much.

Thanks for looking, I need money, will send a bag of air to the highest bidder!

Please help me, I'm lazy and don't like to work.

Thanks for bidding.

------------------------------------------------------

What do you think? any rule violations you can see?

Ben]:)

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Ben
I am willing to bet $100 that you will get bids.

I would elaborate a little however.

Something like
"Hermtically sealed, poly-extruded bag with patented zip-lock feature containing equal portions of major Canadian City air (Insert name of City if you think it would help). Seller has also ensured to include high concentrations of various chemicals, which should be consumed with caution and entirely at the Buyer's risk. Seller cannot be held responsible should sniffing the contents of this product all at one time, result in the Buyer enjoying hallucingenic trips or convulsions or both.
Winning Bidder has their choice of product originating from inside Sellers home or outside, from his city or from the country.
Please hurry and bid high as Seller requires the cash to purchase more baggies as he used all that were in his kitchen and his mother is really mad at him right now.
Satisfaction guaranteed ro return bag with contents fully in tact for a full refund.

Malcolm
Message 15 of 22
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Update
Guy on US Board wanted to raise money through his auctions for his niece who has Lukemia and family doesnt have medical insurance.

Found out he cannot mention this in his listings although we gave him some suggestions around it.

Bottom line, list your product, if it sells, make a charitable donation or buy a dog but dont tell people on ebay thru your listings.

Malcolm
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Seller requires the cash to purchase more baggies as he used all that were in his kitchen and his mother is really mad at him right now

And it would be true!:-D

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

sunset_sports_cards
Community Member
I seen a guy selling get this....NOTHING! And people are bidding on it. I don't get it.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/08/ebay_member_auction/
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
I think its a bit of a stretch.

Malcolm
Message 20 of 22
latest reply