Seller misrepresenting shipping location can I get my money back?

lobrow-9
Community Member

I bought a phone case that was said to ship from the US but it's actually shipping from China is there anyway to get my money back due to this misrepresentation? Seller has his shipping location listed as the US but is based in China and says it will take 18 - 28 days to get here. I've never had something from the US take that long so it's definately shipping from China. I specifically searched for North American sellers because half the time it either takes forever or doesn't show up at all when coming from China, Hong Kong, etc. Please help anyone else had this problem and what are my options? Screenshot of item location showing as US on the listing attached. Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I've been selling (and buying) by mail order, and usually allow 20 days for arrival from North America before complaing. Usually things arrive before that, but not always. And I allow 30 days from Asia.

Remember that wherever it is shipped from, your item is too cheap for the buyer to afford to include international tracking.

Seller has his shipping location listed as the US but is based in China and says it will take 18 - 28 days to get here.

It's a bit unusual for an Asian seller to be dropshipping from the USA, but not impossible or even rare.

Were there a lot of complaints in the seller's feedback about slow delivery or saying that shipping was actually from China?

Basically, you may or may not get any shipment that does not arrive by June 30, no matter where it originates, because of the Canada Post labour situation which puts the union in a strike position on Saturday.

This is not in any way the responsibility of the seller.

If the item has not arrived by the deadline eBay gave you, then you can open an Item Not Received Dispute.

I actually am baffled at why people buy these cases by mail when they are available at every mall I've ever been in. I suppose if you live in a rural or remote area or are disabled.... but it's not the sort of thing that is a necessity and needs to be receive toute suite.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@lobrow-9 wrote:

I bought a phone case that was said to ship from the US but it's actually shipping from China is there anyway to get my money back due to this misrepresentation? Seller has his shipping location listed as the US but is based in China and says it will take 18 - 28 days to get here. I've never had something from the US take that long so it's definately shipping from China. I specifically searched for North American sellers because half the time it either takes forever or doesn't show up at all when coming from China, Hong Kong, etc. Please help anyone else had this problem and what are my options? Screenshot of item location showing as US on the listing attached. Thanks

From what you've posted, there's no clear evidence that the item is shipping from China and you won't know that for sure until you've received the item.  While the way the item is listed is pretty dodgy, there's the possibility that the item is being shipped from the United States through a mail consolidator which, while cheaper than directly shipping by mail, is considerably slower.

There really isn't any way to get your money back for items where their location is misrepresented, anyway.   Besides, if you receive the item, you'd be getting it for free and that opens up yet another ethical Pandora's Box.

My suggestion would be to see if the item arrives in the timeframe specified in the listing.  If it doesn't, file a claim for a not-received item.  Since the listing doesn't specify shipping by mail, you may be able to bypass any roadblocks to the process if there's a disruption to mail service up here.  If you do get your money returned and the case arrives after that, you can then deal with the ethical dilemma of receiving an item for which you haven't paid.

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I actually am baffled at why people buy these cases by mail when they are available at every mall I've ever been in. I suppose if you live in a rural or remote area or are disabled.... but it's not the sort of thing that is a necessity and needs to be receive toute suite.

When all is said and done, the selection of cases at the retail level--at least where I'm located--is pretty limited by both functionality and brands covered.  Not everyone in Canada has an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.  If you purchase an unlocked phone from Staples, you're pretty well beholden to them for a heavily marked-up case for that sucker unless you purchase online.

The cases one finds in mall kiosks tend to be fashion accessories that offer little protection to the device itself.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

lobrow-9
Community Member
The seller actually ended up refunding me this morning so all is well. Note I live in a small town on Vancouver Island so there are really no options for cases here. You can get something for a new phone but I was was getting one for my husbands Samsung Note 3 and there are no local options where I live for that phone.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

That's funny.

All three of us are Islanders . Doesn't happen often.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply