September 14th 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. This week, the thread will remain open until tomorrow as usual.

Open issues:

• Followers list not displaying properly
  • CA Shopping cart erroneously applying free shipping on multiple orders (under investigation)
  • Best Offer on listings that didn't have it in the first place (need examples)
  • Request Total unavailable

Updates:

• Images missing from Watch List - Resolved
  • Automotive listings losing images when changing duration to GTC - Resolved
  • Anchor Store coupon not working/only working on AU site - Issue has been identified and is being worked on between eBay and PayPal. In the meantime CS has been provided with tools to help affected sellers with a work around.
  • Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix rolled out or to roll out soon.
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Hi Raphael;

1. I was wondering if you have had enough time to investigate those listings that only are visible on the site that they were listed on.  It involves about 100 listings over both .com and .ca and I would like to get them relisted correctly.  Please let me know as soon as possible as it has been 2 weeks since they have been ghosts. 
  2. I listed a Christmas CD by Harry Connick Jr. and within ½ hour I had over 180 hits and in 12 hours I had 650 hits, why is that? It is not that he is popular as the other Christmas CD by him had an average amount of hits.  Is it a glitch?   Myself and other sellers are just curious.

harry 650.jpg

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Good afternoon Raphael! I have a couple of questions for you today.

First of all, about 3 years ago Canada Post changed a lot of rural postal codes due to centralizing local sorting centres. My postal code was changed but I guess eBay's database was not updated so I had to continue listing with my old postal code. No big deal. However, a week ago when I returned from vacation I found that I had to change my postal code to the new one in order to upload my listings. (I use TL). Hooray, eBay finally updated their database! No announcement that I could see about this change though.

Problem is that as of yesterday, the new postal code no longer works and now I have to reverse all my changes and go back to the old postal code again in order to list! I know I can bulk edit but really we need info about all these changes ahead of time. It still takes a lot of time to make all these revisions. So, I would like to know if I should be changing everything back again or leave as they'd are for now in case ebay's change gets revised again soon?

Thank you..

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

My second question(s). The forthcoming Category changes list is very confusing to me. I don't know why, I've dealt with these many times before. I primarily sell in Crafts. My questions are:

1. By what date do we have to make the changes or do they get changed automatically? The announcement just says October 2016. Some categories already seem to have changed or are the same as I already have been using.

2. Can you point me to a list of eBay Categories that will show me all the category numbers, not just the changes. I looked but couldn't find anything on the site map. I'm sure I've seen one before.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Looks like a slow day today.

I'm in the process of rewriting my listings and have a couple questions.

1. What is the best way to write up listings so that they are fast to load and easy to read on a mobile device?

Currently my listings meet all the new requirements except for the pre-filled information which I am working on (see question #2)
I'm keeping my new listings very basic, with just different sized text and highlighting. There are no frames or HTML coding.

On my older listings, I do have a centred frame with a background colour fill. Am I better off to forget about the frame and background colour? Even if it works and meets all the requirements, is it better/faster for mobile devices without the frame.  It's pretty basic, but I want my listings to load quickly, and also be easy to read. I don't have a mobile device to check them out, so I'd just like to know the best way to edit old listings as I go through them.

2. You've already heard most of the problems with the pre-filled information, and I would agree with every comment that has been made so far. I did a small sample of 10 listings and out of those 10 I only got 2 with the correct information. 6 were NOT FOUND, and 2 had incorrect information for the publishing year.

So my question is: First, what to do about NOT FOUND, and Second what to do about prefilled that is close but not entirely correct.

I was thinking about putting a statement in my listing that the pre filled information is not always accurate and to use my description and photos for details. Would that suffice and protect me from a Not As Advertised claim?

I like to use the pre-filled information. There is a lot of good stuff there, Track listings for music, short book report on books. Things that would be very helpful for sales. however, when it comes to old books and vinyl records that people are collecting, the details are VERY important. 

I read somewhere in the Help files, that if the Pre-filled data is not correct, not to use it, which is what I have been doing up until now, but the Fall update says that I have to use it, so it's a bit of a conundrum.

Hope you can help out, I'd like to get some of these things sorted out before I start revising all my listings.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Good afternoon, Raphael.

We would like to know more about the Sept. 19 Buy Canadian Promotion. 

Namely, what it might entail and whether certain items will be featured over others and, if so, using what criteria selected by ebay. http://community.ebay.ca/t5/eBay-News-and-Information/Rumor-department-eBay-ca-September-sale-event/...

Thanks,

Maureen 

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Raphael, I understand that new items will require UPCs as per the fall update. I have already been adding them as I upload new listings (when I have had time). However, in my category of new Sewing Patterns the UPC is only 12 digits long, not 13 digits which I have read is required by eBay even though my 12 digit UPC seems to be accepted so far and shows in my item specifics after uploading. (I got this info about the 13 digits from the weekly Griff thread over on .com). Will using the 12 digit UPC be a problem once this is mandatory? And, by what date do these changes have to be made?

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

A question about so-called legacy accounts. Those Canadian ebay users whose accounts are very old going back to the start of ebay first few years,

Anyway, as a legacy account holder, now that promotions are by invite only, I am not invited to most seller promotions as the promotions people must be completely unaware of this small group that signed up long ago on ebay.com but do still exist on ebay.ca.

Rapheal, what can you do to see that these legacy users no longer fall through the cracks when promotions that are intended for Canadian sellers are just sent to ALL (NON-LEGACY) CANADIAN account holders?

The lazy reply we always get is that not all users get all promotions. This is so very, very, true for us long time 2nd class ebayers.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Hi Raphael 

I was browsing on deals on eBay.ca and lead me to US sellers. http://deals.ebay.ca/

Here is another post  https://www.facebook.com/eBayCanada

Why there isnt present any Canadian sellers ? 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael;

1. I was wondering if you have had enough time to investigate those listings that only are visible on the site that they were listed on.  It involves about 100 listings over both .com and .ca and I would like to get them relisted correctly.  Please let me know as soon as possible as it has been 2 weeks since they have been ghosts. 
  2. I listed a Christmas CD by Harry Connick Jr. and within ½ hour I had over 180 hits and in 12 hours I had 650 hits, why is that? It is not that he is popular as the other Christmas CD by him had an average amount of hits.  Is it a glitch?   Myself and other sellers are just curious.

harry 650.jpg

Hi musicyouneed,

1) I have passed your case of items not appearing in search to a trusted colleague who is still looking into it. It's a pretty hairy issue and we had to involve people from many departments on this. I'll reach out when we get close to figuring it out.

2) I wish I could explain why your Harry Connick Jr. CD is so popular 🙂

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

Good afternoon Raphael! I have a couple of questions for you today.

First of all, about 3 years ago Canada Post changed a lot of rural postal codes due to centralizing local sorting centres. My postal code was changed but I guess eBay's database was not updated so I had to continue listing with my old postal code. No big deal. However, a week ago when I returned from vacation I found that I had to change my postal code to the new one in order to upload my listings. (I use TL). Hooray, eBay finally updated their database! No announcement that I could see about this change though.

Problem is that as of yesterday, the new postal code no longer works and now I have to reverse all my changes and go back to the old postal code again in order to list! I know I can bulk edit but really we need info about all these changes ahead of time. It still takes a lot of time to make all these revisions. So, I would like to know if I should be changing everything back again or leave as they'd are for now in case ebay's change gets revised again soon?

Thank you..

Hi vintagenorth,

I need to reach out to someone about this, I'll update this post when I do.

UPDATE: This is a known issue that only affects sellers creating listings on eBay.com. In short, there was an update done to the backend that would make things like item location recognition work better, but upon launch, some critical issues became apparent and they had to roll back until they can fix. Your new postal code should work again when this gets resolved and the update rolls out again, which should be soon.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

My second question(s). The forthcoming Category changes list is very confusing to me. I don't know why, I've dealt with these many times before. I primarily sell in Crafts. My questions are:

1. By what date do we have to make the changes or do they get changed automatically? The announcement just says October 2016. Some categories already seem to have changed or are the same as I already have been using.

2. Can you point me to a list of eBay Categories that will show me all the category numbers, not just the changes. I looked but couldn't find anything on the site map. I'm sure I've seen one before.

Thanks!

1. All items listed in impacted categories will be automatically moved to the most relevant new one as needed, but it's encouraged for sellers to move their items ahead of time if they can. AT this time the date I have is also just October, I don't think there is a firmer date because the category changes aren't instantaneous and take a bit of time to complete.

2. I don't think there exists a full list of categories with numbers that's available to the public. The closest thing would be the browse tree that you get when you list an item.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

@around_again_records wrote:

1. What is the best way to write up listings so that they are fast to load and easy to read on a mobile device?

Currently my listings meet all the new requirements except for the pre-filled information which I am working on (see question #2)
I'm keeping my new listings very basic, with just different sized text and highlighting. There are no frames or HTML coding.

On my older listings, I do have a centred frame with a background colour fill. Am I better off to forget about the frame and background colour? Even if it works and meets all the requirements, is it better/faster for mobile devices without the frame.  It's pretty basic, but I want my listings to load quickly, and also be easy to read. I don't have a mobile device to check them out, so I'd just like to know the best way to edit old listings as I go through them.

2. You've already heard most of the problems with the pre-filled information, and I would agree with every comment that has been made so far. I did a small sample of 10 listings and out of those 10 I only got 2 with the correct information. 6 were NOT FOUND, and 2 had incorrect information for the publishing year.

So my question is: First, what to do about NOT FOUND, and Second what to do about prefilled that is close but not entirely correct.

I was thinking about putting a statement in my listing that the pre filled information is not always accurate and to use my description and photos for details. Would that suffice and protect me from a Not As Advertised claim?

I like to use the pre-filled information. There is a lot of good stuff there, Track listings for music, short book report on books. Things that would be very helpful for sales. however, when it comes to old books and vinyl records that people are collecting, the details are VERY important. 

I read somewhere in the Help files, that if the Pre-filled data is not correct, not to use it, which is what I have been doing up until now, but the Fall update says that I have to use it, so it's a bit of a conundrum.

Hope you can help out, I'd like to get some of these things sorted out before I start revising all my listings.

Hello around_again_records,

1. Sounds like you're already pretty much optimal when it comes to your description. Item Specifics help with Search and discovery, but if you're asking about readability on all platforms, a succinct description in plain text with no HTML code or active content is all you really need. You might want to ensure your character count is low enough (800 characters or less) to be fully included in the eBay-generated summary. Probably you should also let go of the frame as it will lower your available character count for your actual description.

There exist mobile device emulators online that you can use to see how a web page looks on pretty much any device. If you're curious you can easily find one of those from a Google search.

2. Errors in the catalogue as well as missing products can be reported to this email address: 

DL-eBay-SDSupportSubmission@ebay.com 

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Good afternoon, Raphael.

We would like to know more about the Sept. 19 Buy Canadian Promotion. 

Namely, what it might entail and whether certain items will be featured over others and, if so, using what criteria selected by ebay. http://community.ebay.ca/t5/eBay-News-and-Information/Rumor-department-eBay-ca-September-sale-event/...

Thanks,

Maureen  

Hi Maureen,

All Canadian sellers will be included in this, whether they list on eBay.com or on eBay.ca. The only criteria is that the items be located in Canada.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Raphael, I understand that new items will require UPCs as per the fall update. I have already been adding them as I upload new listings (when I have had time). However, in my category of new Sewing Patterns the UPC is only 12 digits long, not 13 digits which I have read is required by eBay even though my 12 digit UPC seems to be accepted so far and shows in my item specifics after uploading. (I got this info about the 13 digits from the weekly Griff thread over on .com). Will using the 12 digit UPC be a problem once this is mandatory? And, by what date do these changes have to be made?

Hi msmaggie060,

I'll need to involve someone from the Structured Data team to address this. Could you send me a quick email with examples of UPC codes that worked and that didn't work? Thanks!

Message 15 of 43
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@around_again_records wrote:

Hello around_again_records,

1. Sounds like you're already pretty much optimal when it comes to your description. Item Specifics help with Search and discovery, but if you're asking about readability on all platforms, a succinct description in plain text with no HTML code or active content is all you really need. You might want to ensure your character count is low enough (800 characters or less) to be fully included in the eBay-generated summary. Probably you should also let go of the frame as it will lower your available character count for your actual description.

There exist mobile device emulators online that you can use to see how a web page looks on pretty much any device. If you're curious you can easily find one of those from a Google search.

2. Errors in the catalogue as well as missing products can be reported to this email address: 

DL-eBay-SDSupportSubmission@ebay.com 

Thanks Raphael: That pretty well sorts things out for me regarding how to proceed with my listings.

On the second question though about the pre-filled information. At a rate of 2 correct out of 10 I can't see me emailing for each one that is not there or is wrong. I also can't see that thousands of individual emails will be a very efficient way for eBay to update or correct the catalogue.

Would it be possible:

For items Not Available, a screen comes up telling us to check our information for typos...
I would like to suggest that a button be put below that message, something like, Yes this is the correct information. Then the user clicks the button and walla the UPC or whatever the identifier is goes to the eBay database and the catalogue team has a field of Not Available entries that they can sort as needed and then add to the catalogue.
I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if I'm describing it well, but I hope you get the general idea. To me this would be much easier at both ends and much more helpful for the catalogue team than sorting through thousands of emails.

For Wrong information, it is a little more complicated, as there are so many little bits that might be wrong, I'm not sure how you could easily get that sent right to a database, but perhaps a programmer would know. The important things for me would be publishing or issue dates, and country of mfg. but I'm sure every category would have different things that were important to different people.

Sending an email, really does not seem like a solution to me. Firstly most people will not bother or simply not have the time. Secondly even if they do, the people on your end will be so overwhelmed with emails with information in all different categories and formats that I can't see how they will ever get anything corrected.

Just my 2 cents. I hope a different solution is in the works.

Wendy

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

Printing labels through PayPal/Pitney-Bowes for Canada Post.

Still does not include the complete return address on the label (seen for Small Packet USA and Expedited Parcel) for addresses that use both (rather than just one) local lines.

Example:

YPDC Dennis

Unit B

41 Internet Avenue

Galt, ON

N1R 4A4

prints on the label as:

YPDC Dennis

Unit B

Galt, ON N1R 4A4

If the package ever had to be returned, it would fail.

Current work-arounds

(1) add the missing info by hand

(2) substitute an adjusted return address before buying and printing

It's not a Canada Post issue, since labels printed via CP have no problems with the complete address.

-..-

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:

... I was browsing on deals on eBay.ca and lead me to US sellers. http://deals.ebay.ca/

Why there isnt present any Canadian sellers ? 

When I checked out that link, all I could see were Canadian seller offers, no US sellers.

-..-

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

Is this maybe an instance of a user's browsing or search history determining the selection?
Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Hi Raphael, When am I going to be able to relist the 100 or so items so I can maybe get some of them sold?  Tell the powers that be that I want to do that sooner than later.   If buyers can't see them especially on .com, even if they are located in Canada, I won't get them sold. 

Message 20 of 43
latest reply