Shipping and Delivery

I recently sold an item to a buyer about a week ago, the tracking shows that the item was delivered earlier today but the buyer sent me a message saying they read the delivered part on the tracking but have not received the item, is there any way the buyer can lie their way out of this, open a not received item case, get a refund and keep the item for free? this seems very unfair for sellers
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Shipping and Delivery

Basically no.

If the buyer opens an Item Not Received dispute, you just have to supply the tracking information and you win.

Neither can leave feedback.

That being said the buyer may not have received the parcel. Yesterday I had a parcel left on my stoop by the Canada Post truck-- no knock even, although I was sitting right by the window and saw him leaving.

Tell your customer to ask family or housemates if they took in the parcel. Describe it if you can.

Tell him to ask the neighbours. This is less likely in urban areas.

If he is in an apartment building, he should ask the supervisor.

Next he should go to the PO where he usually finds parcels, and ask there. Remind him he will need ID.

If worse comes to worst, he should report the parcel as stolen to the postmaster at the Post Office (not the postal outlet in back of the drug store) and to the police.

But your responsibility ended when the postie marked the tracked item delivered.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

"the tracking shows that the item was delivered earlier today"

Quite possibly the postal system shows "delivered" while maybe a card was left at the buyer's address to pick up the parcel at the local post office.  Also possible a card was not left but will be mailed to the buyer,

Give it a few days to work itself out.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have contacted the buyer and they replied telling me they were home the entire day and saying the package never arrived
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

"they were home the entire day "

I understand.  However, Canada Post carriers have been known to leave cards (or mail the cards the next day) without ever getting out of their truck.

Give it another day or two.  Then contact the Post Office.  And keep your buyer in the loop.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ok thanks, i will post further details if any other problems come up but for the time being, i am working with my buyer
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hello 'matlob50',

<<is there any way the buyer can lie their way out of this, open a not received item case, get a refund

and keep the item for free?>>

Not when you've got that tracking number, there isn't.  Smiley Very Happy

According to ebay, " Delivery confirmation from the shipping carrier protects you from cases when buyers

claim they didn't receive the package."  Have you seen this link about your seller protection?

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/seller-protection.html

Note the drop-down menu for eBay Money Back Guarantee requests about what to do If a buyer reports

that an item hasn't been received.  It clearly states, "If you ship an item within your stated handling time and

provide tracking information to the buyer before you or the buyer asks us to step in and help with a request,

you're protected."

You didn't say where you sent it, such as which province or state.  Was it sent to the US?  A house address

or an apartment  number?

Is this about that Mario Party 3 thing?  How big is that?  

The reason I ask is if it were placed in a cubby hole mail compartment like what Canadians are now

having to use, -- even though the buyer does not have it in his hand, all he need do is go down to the

boxes and get it.

I often see a small package reading "delivered" and if it is something I don't want to be abused by weather,

I'll run down and grab it right away.

Perhaps that's all it is, -- your buyer is so busy playing games hasn't bothered to put on his shoes and go

check his mail box.    Apart from what 'reallynicestamps' suggest, I can't think of anything else.

Well, except the worst.  But for now there may be some quite innocent explanation.

Best of luck 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply