Should I Cancel This Bid In The Last Five Minutes ?

Item # 161149269608

A little spooked on this one as a I received a message within fifteen minutes after listing the item inquiring if I would sell the item at ten dollars.

I sent back a polite message informing him the item was a new auction listing & I would see how it plays out.

This person has put a bid on the item but after checking his feedback I was shocked to see that he has left eight negative feedbacks out of nine feedbacks left since August including two today.

Seems to be a pattern, poor condition of jersey, please offer tracking number, wanting partial refund, etc.

Would you think it would be best to cancel his bid in the last five minutes so he cannot get another friend to bid on the item ?

There seem to be a lot of views & watchers, though that doesn't always result in a sale.

I know I am reaching here, but in past experiences scammers seem to have friends willing to do the same thing & place a last minute bid if theirs was cancelled a couple of days prior to the auction ending.

Judging by the history of this bidder this will not turn out well.

Might as well protect myself in advance.

Opinions ?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

eBay's policy:

Examples of legitimate bid cancellations

• The bidder contacts you to back out of the auction.
  • You are unable to verify the bidder's identity, after trying all reasonable means of contact.
  • You want to end your listing early because your item is no longer available for sale. In this case you must cancel all bids on your listing before ending it.

To avoid problems, it may be best to:

1) place that buyer on your blocked bidder list

2) end your listing (cancel all bids) due to an error in your listing

3) at a later date, relist the item (having corrected the error in your listing)

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, Wouldn't I be caught behind the eight ball here ?

If I cancel the bid, I pay fees, which is fine judging by his buying record, & would probably have that recorded on my selling record.

Buyer is registered in Taiwan, where I no longer ship, but probably has a US shipping address.

Looks like another buyer that knows how to work the system.

Should I just let it play out & hope he is not the winning bidder ?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

"Should I just let it play out & hope he is not the winning bidder ?"

That may work out, with a bit of luck.

In the meantime, I would first definitely put his name of the "blocked bidder list".

If he ends up being the high bidder, you may let him know you do not ship to buyers from Taiwan and suggest he agrees to cancel the transaction (disregarding the possibility of a US mailing address).  If nothing else, that offer to cancel would most likely allow you to have eBay remove negative feedback should the buyer go that way.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi I am interested to know, if he is blocked, will that affect previous bids (ie bounce him out) or will it affect his future bids?

My guess is that existing bids will stand, but if someone else bids he won't be able to bid further??

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks Again, Buyer has been blocked.

I guess there is no way you can see the Buyers Feedback Left as it is just a bid right now. Trust me, It is just horrible.

I will let this play out, hopefully luck is on my side.

Noticed a bid can be cancelled If a buyer is registered in a country I don't ship to.

I guess Registered in Taiwan, but with a US shipping address would not be allowed. Not really sure though.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

A couple of questions have occurred to me with respect to this problem - maybe Pierre is still there and can reply? 

1)  Would blocking a bidder who has a current bid on an item prevent that bidder from placing an additional bid during the court of that auction?  

2)  I seem to recall that sellers are permitted to end only so many listings (per year??) before eBay punishes them - I can't find that information at the moment, and wondered if you know.

For what it's worth, if I were in 'bb's' position, in view of the buyer's lousy FB behaviour and his attempt to finagle a lower price for the item, I'd do as Pierre originally suggested - block the buyer, cancel all bids and end the listing.  If it looks like such a sketchy situation, it might be worth paying the listing fees just to be rid of the problem.  From what 'bb' describes, it sounds as if this buyer would make more trouble if he wins the auction.  

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I would think so also ric regarding him placing additional bids.

Not really sure though.

Have never come across this previously, but I am sure someone has.

Good Gawd, time consuming protecting ourselves from Bad Buyers but worth it in the end.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Hi I am interested to know, if he is blocked, will that affect previous bids (ie bounce him out) or will it affect his future bids?

Seems like we were both thinking the same thing!  Woman Wink

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I agree Rose, but cancelling the auction could put a black mark on my selling record.

Something I don't want.

Don't mind paying the cancellation fees to avoid trouble from this bidder.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yes, this is what the Brits would call a stickey wicket.  

I really feel for you, and you're right, it is such a waste of time trying to avoid further trouble from a buyer.  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

My recollection of the eBay policies concerning new "blocked bidders" is that the block applies to bids on all future listings.

In other words, if a bidder has a $10 bid, the seller adds the name to the block list, that bidder could still raise his bid to $15 or $20 or whatever until that listing is ended.

However, it may be worth a call to Customer Support or contacting eBay staff in Toronto to confirm the policy.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, Yes, I did check it out.

Blocked bidder cannot place another bid.

Thanks for the offer honeybed in your private message, much appreciated.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Remember is most case being upfront and honest is the way to be but there are those rare occasions in life where rules are meant to be broken ...

Remember is you ask for forgiveness for your sins the big guy has to forgive you LOL ..

Is that not some of the worse advice ever LOL 🙂

Goodluck

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Great advice Brande Smiley LOL if we live in an ideal world and you know what I am about to say next.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply