Slow shipping from China to Canada?

I'm a long time eBay user...I love eBay. 99% of the stuff I order comes direct from China (I'm a fan of the "Buy it Now!" button). I'm used to it taking a month for my orders to arrive but recently I've run into a problem.

Currently I have 8 items in my purchase history (ranging from 99 cents with free shipping to $25 with $5 shipping) that are yet to arrive. It's been literally 2x the normal amount of time I wait for these types of purchases.

I've already written to one seller to let them know what's going on (they said that if it's longer than 22 business days it's not going to arrive) and asked them to re-ship the product before the deadline of my PayPal buyers protection and they said they would send out a new one even though their records showed that the item had arrived in Canada.

Long story short: Is anyone else in Canada experiencing significant shipping delays? I'm on the east coast but normally it's 15 business days at most for these orders from China. I don't want refunds, I just want the things I bought! Also, PayPal's dispute window is 45 (calender) days so even though I don't want to rip off any sellers because Canada Post (or customs *shudder*) is messing up I don't really have any other options at this point. $100 might not be a lot of money but this is for 8 different items (all of which I'll need to reorder because they are things I really want).

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Slow shipping from China to Canada?

I agree I think from 2015 the longer wait time is noticeable, things used to come 1 month tops pre 2015. Now it is easily passing 6 weeks. I got a parcel in 2015 about 3 months latter. All my stuff is arriving after the latest expected arrival date. I live in the GTA. I dont know who is to blame Canada post or China post , maybe the two. Wait time is awful and will continue to get worse.
Message 21 of 38
latest reply

hi, it took 2 months from china to canada.

i could not believe it.

as time goes by, delivery from china to canada takes more days.

i think there is a problem with canada post. they are lazy, very lazy.

sometimes mail is missing.

what a heck!

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

I always buy stuff too 🙂 about everyday ... and my things usually at the latest will arrive like after 2 and a half months . It sucks.... but that's what happens when you order stuff from ebay . Haha you can also track your stuff over Google by using a international package tracker ..thay might help you find your packages 🙂 have a good day!!
Message 23 of 38
latest reply

I find that in most cases the product takes 3 weeks to  actually leave China.  What are they doing with our purchases that it takes 3 weeks to leave China? 

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

I have noticed a very long period in which my items arrive also from China and was wondering why also. It literally takes over 6 weeks to arrive. I have also asked for refunds because I didn't receive items till after the allowed time period. Is it held up in customs? Maybe because of all the shipments coming from China it's taking customs longer to process it. 😞

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

I waited over two months for my item to arrive ,it never arrived i almost forget about it ,but i contact seller he refund my money but i noticed that he never shipped it in first place from the way he emailed me back it seems he copied and paste that line many times to other buyers .he thought because we live in canada we are nice people we don't depute small amount of money ,chinese sellers with high positives stars doing it for fast quick money .

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

Yes, I have the same problem as well. I have order three items from Feb to now and NONE have showed up yet!! Not good enough and like you I don't know what the problem is????

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

Been seeing horrible delays lately too. Used to take 2.5 weeks for packages from China to arrive. Lately it seems to be 4-8 weeks. It seems to be only affecting shipments from the Australia and Asia areas. Anything from England or Europe gets here in 2 weeks or less.  

One seller advised me they had been getting a lot of complaints of slow shipping and that many customers were getting packages 2 weeks after the estimated longest delivery date shown on ebay. Low and behold 2 weeks and 3 days later the package arrived.

I can also confirm that some of the delayed packaged have shipped as the tracking is working but once it leaves China it can't be tracked and seems to vanish until Canada post finally delivers it.  Also had one package go missing and show up 4 months later soaking wet and beaten up pretty badly.

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

tymaple
Community Member

Most stuff I order from China takes about 1 month.  I always get a tracking number and most of the time my items are held-up in Canadian Customs for about 15 to 25 days before they continue shipping even if the item is under the $20 value that customs would than wave its fee...

I used to work for a certain postal company that for this message will be nameless due to eBay’s rules, and I can say that many times I have noticed parcels either thrown out due to label damage or accordantly fell into a garbage can that someone placed beside a work station or has been sitting under some equipment for 3 months before it was discovered.  And last the delivery person themselves is usually hurried to the point of not caring.  Now this really frustrates me is when the delivery person notices you and than just leaves a card on your door states that you were not home thus causing you to drive to a postal outlet to get your package the next day.  I have often seen employees fill out the card before even attempting delivery just so they can get off work early...!

Also, I only buy items from eBay sellers that have over 99% positive feedback because I had too many problems in the past.

P.S. Please don't be one of those people that leave neutral or negative feedback due to a shipping issue that is out-of-their-hands.  Most sellers are willing to communicate quickly if they have good feedback...

Message 29 of 38
latest reply

I had the same experience. I am currently awaiting 4 packages from China, all of them being late.

Just a thought, could it be that Canada Post was instructed to deliberately delay any packages originating in China, in order to discourage people from buying on ebay and forcing them to buy locally? As crazy as it sounds, it's a known fact that CP has a very well organized union, and it would be no surprise for me if they collude with other unions... Anyway, if it continues to be like that, I'd rather stop buying at all. I would prefer Canadian economy to go down and all those people getting paid too much money for the work that has no value - to lose their jobs - than encourage such behavior.

Message 30 of 38
latest reply

cskc24
Community Member

Agree with everyone else here.

Have been ordering items from China for past several years.  Never had an issue where the item shows up. 99% item shows up within 4-6 weeks.

I have 5 items that have all been refunded because the items have not showed up.

I did have an item arrive after 3 months (longest waiting Ive experienced ever) after the order date.

Annoyed that the things are not coming and definitely it has only started happening within the past 5 months or so.

What is going on Canada Post, China Post, China sellers?

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

why do people order from china in the first place i dont get it,its usually cheap junk sent on a ship that may take 3 months to get here just go to the dollar stor give them your dollar and go home and enjoy,if you would like something of some sort buy from canada or the usa and maybe some other countries like australia and lots more why do so many people by junk and go through the stress?????
Message 32 of 38
latest reply

Ebay, being American owned, perhaps has a hidden agenda to discourage buyers from buying from China because the U.S. cannot compete with the low prices and free shipping.  I am losing my disputes on grounds that don 't make sense to me.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

The delays are because all the items come from china come through Vancouver CBSA. CBSA have been redistributing people from the mail sorting sections to other areas. So subsequently with increase in people buy items from china and the shortage in the international mail screening area there is a major back log in the parcels being processed. It now typically take a package 6 weeks to clear Customs and be transfered to Canada Post for domestic delivery. People on ebay and Alibaba are feeling the same thing. Just a little inside info
Message 34 of 38
latest reply

Not sure whats going on, but shipping from the China sellers to Canada is slow, people have a lot of theories from the slow down in their economy to the various post offices.

To the person asking why people buy from China,

If you don't have anything useful to contribute don't bother answering.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

I appreciate all the good feedback from users about the very slow delivery from China, in particular those who suggested asking for a refund then re-ordering.  I did ask for a re-shipment on one item and it eventually came but after the 45 days.  Paypal has 180 days to open a case does it not?   Recently I had 2 merchants shipping only one item of a larger order in a small package - unusual as one wonders if that is all you will get. Contact the seller if this happens. Recently I had 2 items arrive 2-1/2 weeks after the first package.

Speculations about the cause are varied, but we know the financial situation in China has changed.  We have enjoyed very low shipping and I wonder if China Post has reduced resources in personnel or airfreight $ which is likely an effective subsidy.  I doubt that e-bay or Canada Post would interfere with these shipments.

I do hope ebay reads these posts. ebay has been a world resource for re-using, for helping recreation and innovation since it's inception as an on-line auction site. It is a shame to see the auction idea in demise and the lack of support for the small seller.

I have made many ebay purchases and wanted to start selling when I had the time, but now doubt I will, since the buyer has all the rights if they wish to be dishonest. Only large corporate type sellers can absorb the occaisional total loss over a large number of sales.

I addition, the inception of the so-called Global Priority shipping has all but killed off ebay sales form the US to Canada.  There has never been a problem using Canada Post as the import broker for small items - why do we need a service that costs twice as much as standard post? Ask for parcel post.

Here are my 10 tips for ebay ordering... I would love to hear yours"

1.  When ordering many items from a vendor, include a note to request a double check to "send my  xx items".

(Many Chines vendors seem to leave out 1 or 2 small items. Hoping you won't notice?)

2. Give the order lots of time but do contact the seller near the last expected arrival date.

3.  After a month or so request refunds for undelivered items.

4.  Do not be tempted to keep an item that eventually arrives - without paying. Most ebayers are honest, keep it this way.

5.  Communicate with the seller, let them know promptly when a missed item has arrived.

6.  Always be sure of the shipping method - do not use Couriers from out of country unless you know what you are doing.

7.  If a US seller asks $21 Global Priority for a $5 item, ask, BEFORE bidding, if they will ship Parcel Post. 

8.  Be sure to pay for insurance if needed, it is only fair to the seller. And tell them about the require Customs form.

9.  Get permission to return an order, else the seller can deny receiving it. (Don;t ask).

10.  Oh and don't order around Chinese New Year or when you won't be home to receive your order.

Happy ebaying !

PS I had a "fight" with a lady from Israel trying to pay her for an extra item she had shipped. I had ordered 2 of one item, assuming the would match in appearance - they didn't. So she sent me another and would not accept even nominal payment. Nice.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

I have been ordering for last 4 years, and since beginning of this year, shipping has become ridiculous. Items are taking 3 months to arrive. Interestingly, one item from HK was prompt - so I have to verify if it is shipping from China that is causing issues. I would think not, since other countries are getting stuff quickly.

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

I've noticed extremely long wait times as well.  I usually receive packages within 3-4 weeks but since late 2015 its been taking longer and longer and packages are now averaging 6-8 weeks for delivery to me in the GTA.

Like the others, I'm unsure of where the slow down is, since there is rarely tracking.

For what its worth, I am eventually receiving the usual number of orders, just with longer shipping times.  

Message 38 of 38
latest reply