U.S. Sellers and Global Shipping Program

This program is a terrible ripoff to Canadian buyers.  It makes items unaffordable to purchase.  For example, a second hand skirt costing $6 and weighing under a pound is quoted as having a shipping cost of over $20 USD.  Please don't forget about your Canadian customers when listing your items and using this program.  😞

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: U.S. Sellers and Global Shipping Program

According to eBay:

Resolving problems

You didn't receive the item

If your item hasn't arrived, check the estimated delivery date on the Order details page. Then track your package from the Order details page or My eBay.

If the estimated delivery date has passed and the item didn't arrive, you can open a request for a refund through the eBay Money Back Guarantee. Learn more in the eBay Global Shipping Program buyer terms and conditions.

For more information; http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I could be wrong as I've taken a bit of time off this discussion board, but I'm under the impression that the only way for a buyer to get all the funds associated with a GSP purchase refunded--particularly the "import charges"--is to go through PayPal rather than eBay.

Have things changed?

You are wrong.  It's always been the same as it is today and nothing has changed.  eBay takes care of both transactions and they always have.

So why all the paypal GSP cases?  

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

You are wrong.  It's always been the same as it is today and nothing has changed.  eBay takes care of both transactions and they always have.

So why all the paypal GSP cases?  

Because PayPal is mentioned in the GSP's terms and conditions for buyers in the context of damaged items, perhaps?

See Pierre's post in this recent thread:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Item-arrived-damaged-from-USA-through-GPS/td-p/307836

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

I don't think that anything has changed and I'm sure that  Paypal isn't better than the MBG for gsp claims.

That agreement was dated Sept 14, 2014. The MBG wasn't available in Canada at the time so that is probably why it isn't mentioned.

If you change the .ca to .com in that link, the agreement there mentions the MBG.  Also, most listings including GSP listings mention that the listing may be covered by the MBG.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't think that anything has changed and I'm sure that  Paypal isn't better than the MBG for gsp claims.

That agreement was dated Sept 14, 2014. The MBG wasn't available in Canada at the time so that is probably why it isn't mentioned.

If you change the .ca to .com in that link, the agreement there mentions the MBG.  Also, most listings including GSP listings mention that the listing may be covered by the MBG.

The agreement on the .com site is also dated 14 September 2014, for what it's worth.

Things may have changed since the implementation of the MBG, but I was under the impression that under the old system, eBay couldn't easily initiate refunds of import charges as they were charged by PitneyBowes, not eBay, but PayPal had more "oomph" to do that.  The process may be more streamlined now, but do note that in both versions of the T&C--as well as the UK's version--PayPal is an option.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

BUT you are completely missing the point.

The paypal rep stressed that GSP related cases outnumber all other cases by far and that  this has something to do with the way eBay protects sellers.

She just assumed I'd understand why that is but I don't.  

The question is:  What it is about the way the GSP protects sellers that results in more claims being filed with paypal?

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

The reason the statement stuck with me as it did was because I hardly expected the paypal rep to know what the GSP is.

After all, It's only used for International sales and just for some of them and therefore should hardly be a blip on the screen for them.

So why all the GSP claims when the percentage of GSP transactions would not be very high?

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

"The paypal rep stressed that GSP related cases outnumber all other cases"

I have noticed many posts from you in the last few days making reference to that one conversation you had with a PayPal rep.

I would not give it any weight.  The rep may or may not be right. Or the comments may have been taken out of context. Or... Or...

Whatever that rep said has nothing to do with us Canadian buyers and sellers.  It was not a policy statement.  Just someone possibly complaining about a workload. Smiley Sad

It is not gospel.  I would just let it go

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

The agreement on the .com site is also dated 14 September 2014, for what it's worth.

I noticed that. The MBG was in place on ebay.com at that time but not on .ca.

Things may have changed since the implementation of the MBG, but I was under the impression that under the old system, eBay couldn't easily initiate refunds of import charges as they were charged by PitneyBowes, not eBay, but PayPal had more "oomph" to do that.  The process may be more streamlined now, but do note that in both versions of the T&C--as well as the UK's version--PayPal is an option.

I've never had that impression.  Before the MBG was available on .ca all claims had to be opened through Paypal  so perhaps that's what you're thinking of.  I've seen many buyers told to open a claim on ebay for a gsp problem and haven't ever heard that there was a difference between opening a gsp claim through paypal or ebay. 

I asked Raphael to confirm that so I'll let you know what he says.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

As Pierre said, we have no idea if the reps statements were accurate.

I do fail to see how the fact that gsp sellers are protected equates to more claims.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

I would not give it any weight.  The rep may or may not be right. Or the comments may have been taken out of context. Or... Or...

Whatever that rep said has nothing to do with us Canadian buyers and sellers.  It was not a policy statement.  Just someone possibly complaining about a workload. Smiley Sad

No.  That wasn't it either but than you for trying.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

In theory all should go smoothly either way, but it does seem that there are more reported cases of system foulups with the ebay route. On common factor seems to be reports that delivery at Erlanger is taken as delivery to the customer.

There do seem to be fewer reports of problems with claims processed by Paypal. I may be too cynical in assuming anything involving ebay will go wrong, but there it is,

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The agreement on .ca now says that a claim can be made through Paypal or the eBay MBG.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply