Unable to claim Canada Post damage claim

og604
Community Member

So I sold an item on ebay and the buyer reported damage to the item 2 months later and I sent a damage claim to Canada Post. They filed an item not as described case with paypal and was given a full refund.

Canada Post had a really long form asking for pictures, proof of value, damage info and some other details. I sent them everything the form asked for and they were awaiting the damage report from the receiver and said if they didn't get it soon I wouldn't be able to get a refund.

They said they said a letter to the receiver a month or 2 ago and the receiver said they didn't get one. I gave Canada Post his email and they sent him the damage report. 5 days later and the receiver is no longer replying to messages and Canada Post says they haven't received anything from him yet.

What can I do now?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Unable to claim Canada Post damage claim

As soon as the buyer gets a refund... They have no reason to cooperate with Canada Post.

It was a situation   that buyer says it was not delivered,  while tracking said it was delivered...

All communication with Canada Post was over the telephone  and via emails.....   Canada Post accepted the claim  and buyer received a refund very quickly.  Buyer had to communicate with Canada Post, and had to be reminded to do so by me...

Buyer had filed with Paypal... but because tracking said it was delivered... Buyer did not get a refund, and Buyer should not expect a refund until  Canada Post agrees to a claim.

If buyer has to prove to Canada Post that the parcel was not received....then buyer does not get a refund until Canada Post says the claim will be paid...

This was the logical thing to do.

In many situations  buyer got his money long before the Canada Post claim was filed..... because it was Small Packet without tracking... and with out tracking.....there was no way to prove that the buyer was lying.

I once mailed a painting tio the US.  Buyer received it in a damaged condition... obvious from the photos forwarded by buyer to me ....

Canada Post received the damage claim via email with value of item... photos of damage  and the claim was confirmed very quickly.... Buyer was very happy with the speed of the process....As soon as Canada Post confirmed the claim,  buyer got a refund  within two weeks of the claim being filed.

In many situations with tracking, with damage  and confirmable problems... the claim progresses quickly  only if the buyer cooperates with Canada Post......Canada Post accepts the claim... as indicated by an email... and buyer gets a refund....

Any claim  requires the cooperation of the buyer 

I as the seller must file the claim... Buyer must prove the claim is legitimate.....

Communicate effectively with the buyer  and there will be no problem....

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Australian buyer asked for airmail delivery of two large vases..

One broke in transit.

Buyer sent photo via email... I had a bit of a chuckle  about the condition of the recognizable vase still in it original bubble wrap

Buyer was immediately refunded price of broken vase  and one-half of the postage....

There was no claim with Canada Post  because it is a breakable that broke... seller's problem...

I know how to handle each and every problem  whether it be non-delivery or damage, something else..

Each situation must be treated with care.

---------------------------------------------

Now about that parcel that was mailed from Winnipeg to New York City...

Parcel was never picked up by the buyer

Once tracking showed that the parcel was being returned to the "sender"  Buyer got a refund.

Parcel was tracked to Montreal  and  to Ville Marie  and then went back to new York City,  but to a different zip code.

Claim was filed with Canada Post....  Parcel was not found in spite of tracking... and insurance claim was paid...

Every situation is unique......Tracking is big assist... and effective communication with the buyer  is most important....

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Non-receipt with small packet was unique....  No tracking to prove delivery... What buyer says must be accepted

Then come claims  that must be investigated by Canada Post.

(1) Tracking shows delivery, buyer says no delivery

(2) Damage must be proved to Canada Post.

Seller makes the claim...

buyer must must prove the claim...

and only then does Canada Post accept the claim and pay the  insured value...

Canada Post is always the final judge... not eBay, and not Paypal.....

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

All I know is, in claims for loss and/or damage in the mails, it's the sender who has to file the claim and it's the sender who's entitled to any refund, never the buyer.

Tom  

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

I don't believe its up to the seller whether they get a refund or not, its up to ebay and they refund the buyer... not the seller!  The seller gets the money covered through Canada post if its an insured item!

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

So much has changed with Canada Post insurance since this thread died a year ago, that everything in it should probably be ignored.

Of course, that never stopped me yet.

EBay refund the buyer?

Don't be silly.

The seller packed and addressed the package and chose the shipping service. The seller is responsible for delivery of the parcel to the buyer. The shipper is responsible to the seller for the delivery of the parcel to the buyer. Both seller and shipper were paid a fee to do this.

EBay is paid a fee to help the seller advertise his product. Paypal is paid a fee to ameliorate payment. Neither of these fees is anywhere near the value of the item sold*. Neither packs the item. Neither chooses the shipper or the service. Neither is responsible for losses or damage in transit.

If the seller chooses an insured service, he can claim his loss from the shipper. But he owes the buyer a refund of her payment for the item she never received, whether he is covered by insurance or not.

*If the seller is doing it right.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Recently .....There have been many times when a buyer on eBay.com gets refunded very quickly... and then the buyer chooses not to respond in relation to an insurance claim....... (recent discussions on eBay.com)

Seller has the responsibility  of shipping the purchase in a safe manner..  

There are times when a postal service does something wrong... and the parcel is lost

Tracking does help....especially in those situations indicated by me earlier in this discussion....

Usually Canada Post responds very quickly and everything gets settled very quickly.

and in most situations  the answer comes from Canada Post very quickly.....  Tracking was the factor in making the claim progress quickly.

Communication with Canada Post has always been over the telephone.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

A seller is responsible for preparing the parcel in a manner that it will travel safely to the buyer...

Once the parcel is delivered to the postal service... it is the responsibility of the postal service to get the parcel to the buyer...

If something goes wrong in transit... it is the postal service  that is responsible.

Things do happen in transit....

Seller can file an insurance claim... but without a buyer's cooperation  seller loses....

unfortunately ... on eBay.com  there have been several instances noted where... the seller is held responsibility right up to the point of delivery...  The postal service, does or does not make the delivery....  that is what the postal service was paid to do....

If the buyer does not get the parcel... then seller files an insurance claim... or refunds immediately if there is no insurance..... 

There is a three-way relationship... seller to postal service ... to buyer....

Too quick a refund can break the triad.....  and buyer may choose to ignore the seller and/or the postal service...

tracking and insurance protect the seller..... 

Message 28 of 28
latest reply