Why do Canadians have to pay 50 Cents to have international Exposure and Americans Don't have to pay

I want to know why Canadians who HAVE TO ship Internationally, have to pay 50 cents extra fee to have items in Ebay UK, and yet the Americans who ship World wide Dont have to pay, they just show up automatically!  I just figured out that this was going on since my international sales dropped to basically Nothing!

So That means that even though I ship world wide, Nothing is actualy showing up in UK, Germany < Belium etc....and for those Americans who have settings on for ONLY USA, then that leaves us out literally in the cold! just handing over more money to Ebay for listing fees even though the items arnt getting any traffic.

I was told many months ago, maybe even a year..that people who ship WORLDWIDE will have international exposure automatically....which seems to be the case for American sellers only, but then, I just received a  newsletter from Ebay about promoting selling in Russia and Brazil...was that for canadians? or Americans only?

I would like a straight answer to this issue, I want all my extra fees refunded that I had to pay out for international exposure in the past week. I have inquired about this in Ebay Facebook and received the most insane answer for  WHY canadians have to pay...Something about international Laws and regulations...LOL  just comical.

so..Why do Canadians have to pay 50 cent per listing for international exposure..and Americans dont?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Why do Canadians have to pay 50 Cents to have international Exposure and Americans Don't have to pay

So list on .com - you're allowed to do that.

You can forget about getting the fees back as well.  It's not going to happen.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Oh, and btw, the exposure .com listings get in other countries isn't that great - they're listed at the end of all the other listings (except for OZ, there are special rules there)

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

"why Canadians who HAVE TO ship Internationally, have to pay 50 cents extra fee to have items in Ebay UK,"

???

Canadians listing on eBay.ca (or eBay.com) do not "have" to pay anything extra.

For example, if you search for Saskatchewan SL68-SL78 on eBay.uk you will find the first listing on the search result page is offered by a Canadian seller listing on eBay.ca who does not pay the extra fee for exposure on the UK site.

It comes down to how unique your item is.  If you list something with hundreds of identical titles, you are wasting your money.  If your item has a relatively unique title, it will be shown everywhere.

After having done the search on eBay.uk, go to eBay.fr (France) and eBay.de (Germany).  Guess what? You will - once again - find these items at the top of the search result page!

And all that without paying a penny extra!

Stop wasting your money of that extra "international visibility" offered by eBay.  It is bogus.

Just for fun, after having searched on eBay.uk, eBay.fr and eBay.de, do a search on Google and, guess what, the same two items are offered right on top of the first page!

Please do not take my word for it, go ahead, do all the searches. You can also search eBay Australia and Italy and Ireland, etc... with the same positive results!

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

I haven't had time to do all the searches suggested by Pierre, but he is doubtless quite right in what he says about international visibility for Canadians. 

The only thing I must admit is that when I've paid the extra few cents for 'UK visibility' when listing an item I thought might appeal to Brits, I do seem to suddenly get a number of UK sales.  Coincidence?  Perhaps, but this has happened on more than one occasion.  I know that my items get reasonable exposure in Europe generally, since I have a regular percentage of European sales.  However, I'm not so clear on what the "magic" of that 'UK Visibility' option really is, so I use it sparingly.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

When you go to the UK site the default is set it eBay.UK, but one has the option of changing that to worldwide or whatever.

If you pay the extra 50 cents you item shows up on the UK site.

I've noticed that sellers who regularly list on the UK site specifically do quite well there, and so...............

I decided to pay the extra half dollar for a few items to see if it made a difference.

So far it hasn't, but I do think if I did it for a greater number of pieces it would.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

"When you go to the UK site the default is set it eBay.UK,...."

If your title does not show domestically, it will be shown automatically - viewer does not have to change the default to worldwide or anything.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

What do you mean by "if your title does not show domestically?"

When I sign into the UK site the default is eBay UK and that is what the typical UK searcher would see.

Except for the occasional item (which is very random and very few), my items don't show up there unless I change the search to worldwide.............. or I pay the extra 50 cents.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

"that is what the typical UK searcher would see."

That is correct and the eBay.ca listings mentionned above by Canadian sellers are seen at the top of the page although they did not pay for international exposure.  That was made possible because British sellers do not have any titles matching the search criteria.

Why don't you take a few minutes and do the searches suggested earlier on eBay.uk, France, Germany, etc...

It may lead you to have a better understanding of the system.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

All I can say to that............. Is........... 

Alrighty then.  :).

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Thanks for all your comments, but it still dosnt answer my question...Why do CANADIANS have to pay and americans Dont?

Its not about how unique the item is..trust me..Ive seen what Americans are posting, its nothing unique, its just whatever American is offering worldwide shipping thier items are all showing up in Europe. 

So if you are a Canadian have have a unique Item..then it will automatically show up in Ebay UK? and who is monitoring that????

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Alrighty then.

You have posting that comment a lot lately I'm.

Was there an Ace Ventura Movie Marathon running in your area on the weekend.

Either that or you are a big Jim Carrey fan.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

No......  

It's just so much easier than going into endless detail which just goes on an on on not matter how much I clarify and explain.

The OP is something I've been working out recently and so I thought I had something to add because I'm familiar with that issue........

but I sure as heck don't want to quibble about it............... :smileyhappy:.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

there are issues if I want to list in Ebay .com and it just complicates the shipping aspect of things. Regardless, There is no reason Why I should have to do that, there is no reason why Canadians should have to pay when Americans don't..dats dat!
but if I have to down the road..then I might.
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Alrighty then Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

Tried to post the link...............    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tJGk4ofc18

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

So, anyway................ no............. I wasn't even aware of that movie until you asked............... but it is kinda cute.  🙂

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

"there is no reason why Canadians should have to pay when Americans don't..dats dat!"

It is not a Canadians vs Americans thing.

Rules are slightly different when listing on eBay.com (by Canadians, Americans and others) than on eBay.ca (by Canadians, Americans and others).

One could also ask why do Americans pay PayPal an extra 1.00% "cross border fee" when shipping to Canada while Canadians do not pay the 1.00% "cross border fee" when shipping to the USA?  Does PayPal favour Canadians at the expense of Americans?

Back to your question, once again, you do not "have" to pay the extra fee.  In my book it is a waste of money.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Yes I do have to pay. If I dont my items will Not show up in Ebay .UK / Europe..I  post my titles so that anyone looking for items will use key words found in my titles and In the proper section they would be  looking in.  To use a title with the name of a province is not gonna happen just to keep it UNIQUE....

I dont know about listing in Ebay.com, simply because of the shipping aspect, would I still be able to print canada post shipping lables? Its been so long since I posted in Ebay.com and who knows what changes have been made there.

Regardless....we used to have Automatic international Exposure..Ebay told us that, anyone who ships Worldwide would have this, that was over a year ago..so since when did they implement the 50 Cent fee?  < that alone is Insane!

And another thing, MANY Canadians are unaware that they do not have international exposure for thier listings...they Assume they do have it.

I have looked into the listings under the section I sell in , in Ebay UK and myself and another Canadian seller that I told about this are showing up in there because we PAID for a few items to show up in there.

And this is a Canadian American thing if the only way I will be able to list in UK for Free is by Listing in Ebay .com.

The point was WHY canadians have to pay for it? if we dont get international exposure ( more then just showing up in USA) Then whats the point in selling on ebay at all?  Yet Many Americans refuse to ship worldwide and maybe they dont have to, but why do they get international exposure for free?

pierr are your items showing up in UK? for free? and how did you do it>?

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

"are your items showing up in UK? for free? and how did you do it?"

Yes, my items listed on eBay.ca do show up on eBay.uk and eBay.fr and eBay.au and eBay.de, and eBay.com etc...

NO I do not ever pay extra for "international" exposure.  It is a rip-off of little value.

What it does basically is locate your listing in the "domestic" (first) section of a search result page.  Without paying the $0.50 fee, it shows up in the "international" section, immediately under the "domestic" section.  If no UK sellers has a listing with the same search criteria, then your listing shows up on top.

For example, if a buyer logs on eBay.uk looking for Tonner Prudence Ellowyne Cami Lizette the following search result page would appear:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Tonner+Prudence+Ellowyne&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573...

Message 20 of 36
latest reply