Why don't sellers leave instant feedback when the buyer pays right away?

I really don't understand why a seller doesn't leave feedback when a buyer pays right after the auction ends. The buyer has the responsibility to pay for an item and that's it ---- once they have it is now the sellers responsibility to leave feedback. My guess is that if a seller does not leave feedback until after the buyer does then it means the seller is not confident in how they operate. In such cases I will refuse to buy from that seller ever again; just curious, why don't sellers leave instant feedback?!

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Why don't sellers leave instant feedback when the buyer pays right away?

I have recently made it a practice that I will leave feedback as soon as payment is made. I have a reverse response though to the posted question.

Why don't buyers leave instant feedback once the item arrives? Probably for the same reason sellers dont. I feel Ebay needs to make it more clear about what Feed-backs do for both buyers and sellers, if anything at all. The one thing I do know that it is really unfair that sellers can only give positive feedback. There should be away where we can leave honest feedback without abusing the system.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

It is called... Report a Buyer

Anonymous... Yes..

but if sellers report the "bad" buyer,  and in turn eBay uses that information... carefully

The bad buyers should disappear.... Maybe!

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Many sellers prefer to know that the buyer has the item in hand, is satisfied with it, and that the transaction is concluded satisfactorily, before leaving the obligatory positive.  Why give a buyer a positive FB entry who may turn out to be dishonest about receiving an item or the item's state, or have a history of scamming others, then retaliate against a seller who asks questions by leaving the seller negative or neutral FB?  These things do happen. 

This pretty much sums up why I don't leave buyers feedback most of the time until I get one. Cat Very Happy

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

WHy do you think all buyers should get 100% feedback ... DO you think even if a buyer threatens me over a $2 item they should be praised for it ...  IF they call me every name in the books or threaten to come to my house where my 3 year old and 8month old daughters are that they deserve it because they sent me $2 ...

ALL SELLERS should leave feedback after payment as that is when the buyers job is done ( Unless able to leave NEg then why withold it feedback) I have never thought it made any sense to not leave it right after payment but still people make sense of it in there own way ...

Rest assure though that not all buyers deserve Feedback ... Like Seller there are just as many bad and ignorant buyers

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

Every seller on eBay does their own thing..

It starts with what they sell...

and progresses through listing, pricing,  parceling, and then ...if and when they leave feedback for buyers

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand (was told by eBay customer service that we can do that!) that as sellers can leave message to our buyers like: "buyer is not happy but didn't want to return item want keep it and refund",  or "buyer changed his/her mind and want refund, not returning item", or something like that.

Anyone have experiences in leaving those kind of messages?

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

You can not leave a negative comment with a positive feedback for a buyer. Apparently, it is more acceptable if you leave a comment like that as a reply to feedback. But, I don't really see the point in replying to a positive feedback as most people are not ever going to see it and it can just make the seller look bad.

If a buyer left me a negative or neutral comment, I might then reply with something like 'full refund offered.'

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

I like to leave a positive clue if I get an unreasonable buyer.

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@worldwandering wrote:

I like to leave a positive clue if I get an unreasonable buyer.

Sure!! First, start to sell. Get a 100 dol. PayPal charge back because your item was "not as described" or "counterfeit" - and then leave a positive feedback. ROTFL Smiley LOL

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Spoiler

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 30 of 34
latest reply

Sellers cannot leave negative feedback anyways lol. So it is not important.

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

BBL

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Personally, I've switched to leaving feedback for the buyer as soon as payment was made and my return feedback rate fell by about 50%. I've done it for 3 months, and when I went back to leaving feedback once positive feedback from the buyer was received, my feedback count went up to normal again.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

Meh, I leave it as soon as payment is made, and figure on about 50% of buyers will leave comments.  Then I am done and move on.

But, the quality of the feedback comments is very good as these buyers made a point of leaving feeback when they didn't need to.    Once you have a good amount, the number of feedback, to me, is not a big deal.  I like buyers to be able to read the comments and get a good feeling that my items are packed well and I ship quickly.  

Message 34 of 34
latest reply