You thought CanadaPost price hikes are bad ?

Check this 7.627% price hike of US International Mail (percentage according to this: http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22352/html/kit2.htm)

2012: https://www.usps.com/prices/fcmi-parcels-pg-1-9.csv

2013: https://www.usps.com/2013/shipping/fcpis-retail.xls

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: You thought CanadaPost price hikes are bad ?

I bought an item for $22,  The seller billed me $32 for the item plus shipping which was high and included a tip for her but fair enough.

The seller should have been charging you for shipping within the U.S. since PB charges for the international shipping.Was the amount so high that it could have been for international shipping?

I haven't bought anything with that system so I'm curious...at what point did you know that you were going to have to pay $23 to PB? Had you already committed to the sale or could you have backed out at that point.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

That's a good point.

The seller was charging me for shipping to Canada and using the online calculator to get the rate.

She was totally unaware that I was getting billed an additional $23 by P-B.

That was also the case with my other experience with the program.  That is, sellers are unaware of how shipping shows up one our screen.  They only see what they are billing.  In this case $10.

The whole thing was really awkward and odd.

I knew something was off because the bill was broken down to indicate there would be a $10 import charge (or whatever they called it).

The way it showed up on paypal was as two payments but I only make one payment.

One was to the seller for item plus shipping, and one payment was to P-B for $23.

For items under $20 you won't see the import charge and so it's possible to that you'd just think the seller had very high shipping rates unless you looked at the paypal bill after-the-fact.

How can such a system possible work?

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Ooops......  could I have backed out?  

I had discussed shipping with the seller prior to bidding because it looked too high and she agreed to ship via FCI for $10 or less.

I committed to the sale on those grounds.

The fact that P-B is in there only shows up after the purchase on the bill.

The problem was that she thought she was billing $10 while I was getting billed $33 for shipping.  $10 to her and $23 to P-B.

To complicate it even more the import charge only shows up after the purchase.

WHAT A MESS!!!!

We agreed that I'd pay and she'd refund the $23 but she was unable to do so.

We cancelled the transaction and did a BIN.

This was a really nice seller but some won't be as easy to work with.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

enjoyabletreasures4u
Community Member

USA rates are still Much lower then Canadians  and plus US sellers do not have to take chances with shipments out of the country as they have tracking numbers.

Small parcel under 400grms to Europe,Australia,South America costs Approx.$18.25 and NO TRACKING numbers.Sellers have to take chances.Not easy to sell out of Canada.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

enjoyabletreasures4u
Community Member

I am disgusted with this new Global shipping.Another method for eBay to grab more into their pockets.I read all small print before buying and will NOT BUY from anyone with that program.It is not the increase on postal services that is killing business it is all these extras.Especially this Global shipping.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply