You thought CanadaPost price hikes are bad ?

Check this 7.627% price hike of US International Mail (percentage according to this: http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22352/html/kit2.htm)

2012: https://www.usps.com/prices/fcmi-parcels-pg-1-9.csv

2013: https://www.usps.com/2013/shipping/fcpis-retail.xls

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

This might be an opportunity for Canadian sellers.

Because fewer US sellers will be interested in shipping to Canada for fear of bad feedback on the higher international shipping rate (many US sellers are unaware that Canada does not have to be "international).

Because Canadian and possibly overseas buyers may find Canadian shipping prices more reasonable with the USPS prices to compare.

For Canadian buyers, not so good since this will raise the cost of importing from the States.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

1oz FCMI in 2011 was $1.72, $3.00 in 2012 and $6.55 in 2013.

Perhaps this is a good thing for us.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Agree with you Femme, i also had the same thought.

This could be an opportunity for all of us to increase sales for the reasons posted previously. 

I will, as always, remain optimistic & hopfully seize this opportunity. Time will tell.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

1oz FCMI in 2011 was $1.72, $3.00 in 2012 and $6.55 in 2013.

Dip,

But note that that same package  (1 oz = 28.4 g) will cost the same (US$6.55) to ship to anywhere in the world. We'll have to pay $7.80 to send it to the US and between $9.54 and $11.38 to elsewhere.

Tom

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Perhaps relevant to the tracked package discussion.....

I recall some time ago reading some Universal Postal Union strategic policy documents which made it clear that the long term goal of the UPU is to effect electronic tracking AND customs processing for all package services.

For most countries now all commercial customs processing is done electronically and generally on a pre clearance basis. With the rapidly increasing amount of cross border postal shipments it's pretty clear that having customs people stand in front of conveyor belts randomly picking out packages isn't a viable way to do things.

If you are obtaining postage online then the data capture for customs information is already done, add a universal identifier "tracking number" and you can now fully automate the whole customs process for 95% of all packages.

If you are interested in that USPS FCMI d/c thing, here's a link to the email USPS sent out (today I think), look at the International section about half way down.

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=91991

§ New USPS e-Delivery Confirmation International extra service available for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope and Small Flat Rate Box and First Class Mail International (ServiceID=”9”)

I don't recall seeing anything about this in any of the Federal Registry notices, either I missed it or it's something that hasn't been officially proposed yet but is being coded into the International Shipping Calculator API for future use.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

But note that that same package  (1 oz = 28.4 g) will cost the same (US$6.55) to ship to anywhere in the world. We'll have to pay $7.80 to send it to the US and between $9.54 and $11.38 to elsewhere.

Tom

Tom, compare CanadaPost Small Packet with USPS FCMI 4-8oz.

I think CanadaPost may be actually cheaper ? 😮

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Dip,

You're right, in that weight range for 2013 CP rates are lower than USPS's. Wonders never cease.

It's interesting that the USPS rates are constant over the 5 to 8 oz range. I wonder why.

But for heavier weights, the discrepancy between CP and USPS widens in favour of the USPS, mainly because of Canada Post's nasty trick of essentially doubling the rate from one weight step to the next (CP does that for o/s lettermail and Light Packets as well). That's something that, to my mind, is inherently unfair. It seems to me that every mail piece has a basic cost of handling that must be included in the postage rate. That handling cost should change very little if at all as the weight increases (within reason). So the rate for a 400 g piece should not be double that for a 200 g piece. But try telling that to Canada Post.

Tom

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Canadian Newbie here, trying to find tools to estimate shipping costs from Canada. I cannot figure how to post a new thread, and ebay does not accept email queries, so I am hoping to catch the attention of someone knowledgeable.

1. What tools are available to Canadian vendors to estimate shipping in advance of a purchase (i.e so buyers can see what the price + shipping is)?

2. I see someone has developed a free Canada Post PHP shipping tool. Does ebay allow it? Has anyone used it? http://www.allaboutweb.ca/sf/canship/

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I so agree, the CP Jump in pricing over grams is quite unfair or just the shape of the small packet makes all the difference even if not heavy? I still am shaking my head that a T-shirt (fit through mail slot) cost the same to send to Israel as sending a lighter in grams Bra did in my own city (offered free shipping so couldn't do local pick up) Now if size of very light weight packet rules changed here? That would make me do a happy seller dance.

Cheers all

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

While it would be nice for Canadian sellers if the increase  in UPS services resulted in an increase in Canadian sales, IMO it's very unlikely.

American sellers are already very difficult when it comes to International sales, and even so Canadians are not buying at home.

I think it's unlikely that this will change things much if at all.......... other than the fact that those American sellers who already a PITA will become even more difficult for a while but that too will pass..............

The nice sellers will stay nice.

and then it will settle into the same old some old fussing over shipping cost...........

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

While it would be nice for Canadian sellers if the increase  in UPS services resulted in an increase in Canadian sales, IMO it's very unlikely.

American sellers are already very difficult when it comes to International sales, and even so Canadians are not buying at home.

I think it's unlikely that this will change things much if at all.......... other than the fact that those American sellers who already a PITA will become even more difficult for a while but that too will pass..............

The nice sellers will stay nice.

and then it will settle into the same old some old fussing over shipping cost...........

I asume you mean USPS ...

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Pilgrim,

You need an accurate scale to weigh items and you must be aware of size requirements for mail pieces.

If you haven't already done so, apply for a Venture One card from Canada Post (no charge), which qualifies you to receive a 5% discount for certain CP services. It's hardly the deal of a lifetime but anything that will reduce CP's high international parcel rates is worth taking advantage of.

I find the Find-a-Rate calculator on the Canada Post website easy to use. On it, you'll see the savings you get as a Venture One customer. You'll also notice that, domestically, the rate for an Expedited Parcel is the same as that for a Regular Parcel, even though the latter is a much slower, non-guaranteed service. If you can understand that, you should be recommended for a Nobel prize.

If you mail through PayPal you'll get 20% off the Venture One (Small Business) rate for Expedited Parcels (Domestic and USA) and that is a major saving. eBay/PayPal has also promised discounts on the new Tracked Packet service but these have not yet been announced.

Good luck!

Tom

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

But I do have to wonder if all these things combined aren't going to seriously dampen international sales for Americans.

It's always been difficult but ............... ???

I am seeing some new things that are going to cause me (and others) problems. If this keeps up I'll stop buying from the States.

That does not mean I'll buy from Canadian ebay sellers because if they had what I wanted I would have done that long ago.

I received a bill which includes a notice that there will be an extra $10 to pay when the item arrives: Uh Uh:  I won't do that and the transaction will simply have to be cancelled.

Another seller told me that her cost for shipping a $12 item was $3 but she used the eBay relay system and so my cost would be $14.

I won't buy that item either.

If these things keep occurring I'll stop buying from the US and in that I an not alone.

A hike in USPS shipping costs will really get Americans in an uproar for a while at least.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

But I do have to wonder if all these things combined aren't going to seriously dampen international sales for Americans.

It's always been difficult but ............... ???

I am seeing some new things that are going to cause me (and others) problems. If this keeps up I'll stop buying from the States.

That does not mean I'll buy from Canadian eBay sellers because if they had what I wanted I would have done that long ago.

I received a bill which includes a notice that there will be an extra $10 to pay when the item arrives: Uh Uh:  I won't do that and the transaction will simply have to be cancelled.

Another seller told me that her cost for shipping a $12 item was $3 but she used the eBay relay system and so my cost would be $14.

I won't buy that item either.

If these things keep occurring I'll stop buying from the US and in that I an not alone.

A hike in USPS shipping costs will really get Americans in an uproar for a while at least.

Are the above caused by the seller using the new Global Shipping program for USA sellers?

Just curious because we had a topic on the impact of the Global Selling program was announced months ago and how it would cause issues for USA sellers shipping into Canada with inflated shipping costs. It seems like part of what was discussed is happening.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

Yes.  I know that was the case for $12 item because I discussed it with the seller who was not even aware of how shipping was showing up on my screen.

In regard to the latter case, I'm not sure where the bill for an extra $10 came from but I've never seen that before and I suspect it was because of the Global Shipping Program as well.  When I asked the seller she quickly agreed to ship via FCI but so far I haven't received a revised bill.

My comment was about the way all of these issues could now combine to make a real change in relation to Americans shipping out of the US.

1) There was the Global Selling program.

2) Ebay's insisting on tracking for the TRS program. (I'm still not sure what that means for US sellers shipping out the US, but it doesn't matter because most believe it matters.)

3)  Now, the increase in USPS rates.

With all of these issues right on top of one another we may see a real change.

Most of the time nothing really happens.

I don't know, but this time I have a feeling there may be a real shift in the way US sellers deal with International sales.

Just a Feeling.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Actually, what I should have said is that Canadian buyers might finally have had their fill of dealing with shipping from the US.

It seems to be getting too complicated.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

2) Ebay's insisting on tracking for the TRS program. (I'm still not sure what that means for US sellers shipping out the US, but it doesn't matter because most believe it matters.)

The TRS program does not require tracking for sales from the U.S. to other countries. I suppose some sellers think that it is required but I suspect even more of them think that it is just too 'dangerous' to ship anywhere without delivery confirmation.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

The TRS program does not require tracking for sales from the U.S. to other countries. I suppose some sellers think that it is required but I suspect even more of them think that it is just too 'dangerous' to ship anywhere without delivery confirmation.

That's what I thought as well.  I never bothered to verify it because it makes no difference.

Sellers believe (or else they are lying) that it's required and there's no point in telling them otherwise.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

An example of the way the new Pitney-Bowes relay system works:

I bought an item for $22,  The seller billed me $32 for the item plus shipping which was high and included a tip for her but fair enough.

Pitney-Bowes added on another $23.

The bills are separate.  Sellers are not even aware of what P-B is doing.  They only see the shipping charge they've billed.

I hope that system dies and fast.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply