Zero FB seller refuses to ship until Paypal release funds

I'll lay this out in point form for brevity..............

Purchase from zero feedback seller in Estonia on April 17

I paid immediately with Papypal.

Contacted seller 2 days later to ask whether it had been shipped. Auction stated "ships within 1 business day".

Seller emailed saying paypal was not allowing him to access his funds for up to 21 days, so he was not going to ship the item until his funds were available.

I messaged him saying that's how ebay works for new sellers, he had to ship the item, my payment has "cleared" it is in his Paypal account. As per the ebay help pages, this Paypal hold policy is to ensure the transaction goes smoothly.

He messaged me saying he'd called paypal who told him if he wasn't confident he could hold the item until the payment clears. I think that's wrong, it is contradictory to the policy. The payment has cleared, he just can't withdraw it from his paypal account.

Thus, I phoned ebay customer service this morning, April 21. They confirmed that my payment is complete, the funds are in his paypal account (even if he can't access them yet) and that "there is no reason for him not to ship the item." 

He seems to be misunderstanding the reasoning behind the paypal hold policy. Language doesn't seem to be an issue, all messages from seller have been relatively well written. It is a large sum of money so watching the 45 days very carefully. However, I don't want a refund, I want the item I bought and paid for.

Just wondering if I should be doing anything else?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I'd just wait.

Yes, the seller should ship now but since it's a new seller in Estonia, and so I'd give a lot of leeway.

Especially if you want the item.

I'm very patient when it comes to shipping time.  You may not be.

However, stay right on top of it and if the item has not arrived within about 30 -45 days make sure you file a case.

Do not let that date pass you by.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

When a new seller has a hold on their money, they always get a message from PayPal telling them to ship the item. There is no excuse for not shipping, as the money is in their account, just held. If their terms state that they ship within one day of payment, then they have to honor that. PayPal would never tell a seller to hold the item for the 21 day hold period. If it were me, I would file an Item Not Received case ( or whatever is appropriate ), and put in the notes that the case would be withdrawn when tracking shows the item is on it's way. Everyone has to go through this process, and there is no excuse for not shipping.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

File a claim with PayPal for non-receipt. 

Do not wait. It is the seller's responsibility to wait for his money, not yours.

If the seller is unaware of the rules, that is his problem, not yours.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

If I file a claim for non-receipt will that trigger a refund? I haven't changed my mind, I still want this item and not a refund, but obviously I don't want to lose my money. Does filing a claim lead to eBay/Paypal contacting him and essentially asking "what's the problem, just ship it"?

Thanks for your help folks.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

iris............ the reason I suggested (above) that you wait, is because IF you still want the item, patience is probably the best course of action.

If that is not your first priority, then file a claim.

Filing a claim could trigger a refund quickly, OR it could motivate the seller to ship (as she should have done some time ago).

If you wait and work with the seller you may eventually get your item, or you may have to file later for non receipt.

If you file later do not allow it to go beyond 45 days.

I have dealt with many difficult sellers, and when I buy an item it's because I really want it, and I have learned that if I don't rush in to file claims and that stuff.....

I ALWAYS get my items.

Sometimes it just takes a little longer.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny this seller, the longer he waits for the funds to be released from PayPal, the longer he is not going to ship it as PayPal will release the funds after they knew he ship the item.  So how will it work that way for this seller to hold the item as a hostage while PayPal is holding his funds as a hostage until he ship it??

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

"as PayPal will release the funds after they knew he ship the item."

It does not work that way.

PayPal releases the funds after 21 days, unless a complaint has been filed for the transaction.

It is important for the buyer to file a claim with PayPal soon.  Once the new seller has the money in his bank account, the buyer is vulnerable.

On the other hand, by waiting, the honest seller loses the PayPal Seller Protection (must be shipped within 7 days of cleared payment, not release of funds by PayPal)

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

"It is important for the buyer to file a claim with PayPal soon.  Once the new seller has the money in his bank account, the buyer is vulnerable."

I don't understand that.

If the seller ships after the funds are released, and the buyer files a claim at day 44 for item not received, won't the buyer get a refund from paypal directly should the seller empty her bank account?

It sounds like you're saying that paypal protection only applies when they can directly retrieve the funds from the seller but that has never been my experience.

I've received a number of refunds directly via paypal.

What am i missing?

Isn't that what paypal buyer protection is all about?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

"I've received a number of refunds directly via paypal."

I am sorry to read you had so many problems with your eBay sellers.

The goal here is to avoid problems and delays - if at all possible - so the original poster does not have to go through what often happens to you.  Why wait several weeks, months maybe, to get the money back?

Once a buyer has paid, it is the responsibility of the seller to ship immediately. Period.  The 21 day hold by PayPal affects the seller only.  It is not meant to affect the buyer.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/payment_unavailable.html 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Not a lot of problems....... but enough to learn the ropes very well.

After many years of experience buying here, and thousands of transactions one experiences a few problems now and then.

That is a given, and to suggest that I have had "so many problems with eBay sellers" is not appropriate/

(And just when I thought your were starting to be nice  :).)  NOT.

My advice is for isis if the #1 priority is to get the item.  

IN MY EXPERIENCED OPINION: The best bet it to wait.  It's not a guarantee but it optimizes her chances and should it not arrive and paypal will have her back down the road.

If she wants to get her money back fast then the best way is to file a case now.

Only isis knows what is best for her.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

I don't think anyone is wrong with what has been posted. They are just opinions.

Is it wrong for the seller to not ship immediately ?  Of course it is.

Should the OP file a claim at this time ? Not sure if i would do that.

Of course it depends on how bad i would want the item. If it is a mainstream item & others are for sale, yes, file & buy the other item.

If the OP files right away & receives a refund, the buyer could be blocked thus eliminating the chance to buy the item again should it be relisted.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

"...should it be relisted."

The problem will remain: same 21 day hold by PayPal.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

We are looking at an item worth more than US$1,000

It is not something I would ever buy from a new seller with zero feedback selling from Eastern Europe.

Maybe if I were younger.....

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Keeping in mind this is a relist for the same item "sold" nine days earlier - no reserve - for $400 less.to a buyer with zero feedback following a bidding war with another bidder with zero feedback.

I stand by my original advise.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Of course i can can only comment on the information that was presented previously.

With the new information presented i would probably be a little spooked.

Something just doesn't seem right.

If the seller has a reputation for excellent service, no problem, but a thousand dollar item sold by an overseas seller with no feedback, i don't know but i would probably pass. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Item 261195931420.

I would do Pierre suggest ASAP.

I didn't see any other item relisted by the seller.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Correction, item 281092088285, right?

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Listed April 12th, sold April 17th transaction 281092088285

earlier transaction (3 day auction) by same seller for same item - as mentionned earlier - was removed from Search by eBay a few minutes ago

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Yes, way too many Red Flags & that is only what you have unearthed so far.

I would file, probably immediately. 

Twenty dollar item i would wait, over a thousand dollars, not willing to take that chance. Too risky.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply