global shipping ripoff - i just had 270 stolden from my visa form shipping provider Pitney Bowes

jjan7214
Community Member

global shipping ripoff - i just had 270 stolden from my visa form  shipping provider Pitney Bowes

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: global shipping rip-off - I just had 270 stolen from my visa form shipping provider Pitney Bowe

Could you please provide more information how you figure $270 was stolen.

That is a huge amount and Pitney Bowes, a large public company with a capitalization of US$3,000,000,000 is not in the business of stealing money from eBay users.  Looking at some of your recent purchases, I do not see anything that would have generated charges of $270.

In addition, Pitney Bowes does NOT have access to your VISA credit card information unless you have provided the information.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Re: global shipping rip-off - I just had 270 stolen from my visa form shipping provider Pitney Bowe

Hello:

I cannot speak for jjan7214, but I do agree with the sentiment, if not the exact wording.  I have faced the costs associated with the Global Shipping System that eBay has some sellers using.  It may be easy for the seller, but it is very expensive for the buyers.  It appears to be in the area of 28% of the selling price.  Now that is apparently to go towards duty and taxes. 

In my experience, of well over 200 purchases on eBay, I have never been charged duty on any purchase, by Canadian customs!  The Global Shipping System has taken it upon itself to charge this for Canada Customs.  I "assume" that the GSS is forwarding those funds to Canada Customs, and not actually keeping (steeling) the funds.

My question is, why would you want to add an additional 28% to the cost of each and every item purchased.  Things are quite expensive enough as it is.  Please STOP NOW!  If Canada Customs in entitled to the duty, they are not too shy to pass the charge on to the purchaser.

For myself, I have boycotted the global shipping system and simply do not buy items that has that additional fee stuck on after you win the auction.  I would suggest that all eBayers follow a similar boycott.  If we get together, the Global Shipping System will die due to lack of use.  EBay should be ashamed of themselves for getting involved in the Global Shipping rip-off, and yes it is a rip-off.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Yes many Canadian buyers have complained with the relatively high percentage cost of using Global Shipping and even the staff of eBay.ca has agreed it is not suitable for Canadians for most low priced transactions.  Manyy threads exist on the subject.

However, let's try to keep this thread open for that one buyer claiming $270 was stolen.  That is a huge amount of money and it deserves some answers.

Specific information is needed on that transaction.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

@jjan7214 wrote:

global shipping ripoff - i just had 270 stolden from my visa form  shipping provider Pitney Bowes

It sounds like you "willingly" paid $270 for duty and or taxes plus shipping to P-B and feel ripped off.................... 

I get that.............. There's so much pressure to pay up f you fall into the trap.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Is that what happened?

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

and that is why I don't buy on ebay any more
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't understand how one can have funds "stolden" or even stolen from a credit card.

If we don't get further information from the OP on this one, I'm just going to write this post off as someone playing with Dad's eBay account.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

You obviously haven't purchased anything recently, only to get stung by the insanity of the Global Shipping Program. If you want to make your customers mad and upset??,,, then this program is the ultimate act of insanity.  Ebay has to be getting a great kick back from PB for them to wontanly upset their customers. If they won't use USPS for shipping ... then we Don't Deal!!

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@auctioneerdjr wrote:

You obviously haven't purchased anything recently, only to get stung by the insanity of the Global Shipping Program. If you want to make your customers mad and upset??,,, then this program is the ultimate act of insanity.  Ebay has to be getting a great kick back from PB for them to wontanly upset their customers. If they won't use USPS for shipping ... then we Don't Deal!!

Of course I haven't purchased anything through the GSP yet.  I read listings carefully and do my homework first.  Don't you?

And how can I make my eBay customers upset with the GSP when I live in Canada?  Man Tongue

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

PITNEY BOWES SHIPPING COST IS BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF THE FINAL SALE PRICE. IF YOU BUY ANYTHING OF VALUE, OH BOY!!!! CANADIANS JUST NEED TO BOYCOT US SELLERS USING THIS PROGRAM. THERE ARE ALWAYS OTHERS WHO WILL BE SELLING WHAT YOU WANT.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@ruladen wrote:

PITNEY BOWES SHIPPING COST IS BASED ON A PERCENTAGE OF THE FINAL SALE PRICE. IF YOU BUY ANYTHING OF VALUE, OH BOY!!!!

Complete nonsense.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Hey, i just bought a PC from ebay and after my purchase i had 72,51 $ on my credit card visa from Pitney Bowes out from nowhere they never told me i had to pay this is i knew i wouldnt have command this over priced gaming pc

13 AOÛ 2013PAYPAL *PITNEYBOWES 4029357733 NEUS72,51
Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Well, you paid something for duty since most computers are not made in NAFTA countries (USA, Canada, Mexico and Chile).

Then you paid your provincial sales tax (15% HST in Quebec)

Then you paid a service charge to Pitney Bowes of at least $4.95.

Two of those charges are Canadian law and the money goes to the Canadian and provincial treasuries, to pay for roads and disaster relief and food inspectors, etc.

The PB charge is half that of Canada Post and one fifth that of UPS, from what little has been reported so far.

And yes tax and duty are levied on used goods.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@fromquebec91 wrote:

Hey, i just bought a PC from ebay and after my purchase i had 72,51 $ on my credit card visa from Pitney Bowes out from nowhere they never told me i had to pay this is i knew i wouldnt have command this over priced gaming pc

They "never told you you had to pay this" because it sounds as though you never read the terms and conditions page for buyers using the GSP, despite all the links on the listing page to it.  Here it is again:

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

A purchase made through the GSP splits the buyer's payment up between the seller and Pitney Bowes, who is the Global Shipping Program administrator.  The seller gets the item price plus their charge for shipping the item to Kentucky, Pitney Bowes gets the import charges plus whatever they're charging to get the item from Kentucky to Canada.  If you add up the Pitney Bowes payment and the seller's payment, you should get the total that you paid in Checkout.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@fromquebec91 wrote:

Yes, everything was there up front (if it is item #310687606385 you are referring to):

Shipping:
US $43.66 (approx. C $45.07) International Priority Shipping to Canada   

Import charges:
US $25.69 (amount confirmed at checkout)
Message 15 of 43
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To jjan7214, you cannot just make any comments that not make sense and then disappear and not to respond to any messages here.  We are dying to know more information.  It is way too vague.  Come on and tell us more.

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

I am currently trying to get my $46.52 back from Pitney Bowers for import duty from USA to UK . Bought 2 pairs of shoes total $106.00 with $27.00 shipping they added $46.52 import duty. But UK customs have confirmed that no import duty was payable as goods were under threshold and I was liable for the Value Added Tax which I paid so yes they have stolen my $46.52 and not e-bay or PB can be bothered to respond to the 5 hours I have spent on the phone trying to sort it out. Sorry sellers but Amazon for me from now on this is a con and they just do not care.

@Anonymous wrote:

To jjan7214, you cannot just make any comments that not make sense and then disappear and not to respond to any messages here.  We are dying to know more information.  It is way too vague.  Come on and tell us more.

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@buddy001juno wrote:

I am currently trying to get my $46.52 back from Pitney Bowers for import duty from USA to UK . Bought 2 pairs of shoes total $106.00 with $27.00 shipping they added $46.52 import duty. But UK customs have confirmed that no import duty was payable as goods were under threshold and I was liable for the Value Added Tax which I paid so yes they have stolen my $46.52 and not e-bay or PB can be bothered to respond to the 5 hours I have spent on the phone trying to sort it out. Sorry sellers but Amazon for me from now on this is a con and they just do not care.

The GSP charge is for VAT and various processing charges.  If UK customs charged you for VAT as well, then UK customs is guilty of "double dipping".
Message 18 of 43
latest reply

That is a huge amount and Pitney Bowes, a large public company with a capitalization of US$3,000,000,000 is not in the business of stealing money

Pierre, what was the capitalization of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC ?

What was capitalization of Fido (now Rogers)? Fido stole money from me couple years ago. Bought phone off their website. It showed total during checkout, I pressed Buy, done, right ? Couple days later I get $30 "Device Upgrade Fee" charged on my CC. Almost did not notice. Long story short, after threatening to file Unauthorized and complaint with Ministry, they returned stolen money.

Companies with big capitalization cheat. Sometimes it's simple billing mistake, but I recognize systematic theft when I see one. I am glad provincial and federal governments have agencies overseeing these big crooks, because we live in financial Wild Wild West.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Hi

I am no expert on VAT or Import which is why I'm in this mess as if I'd known I would 't have bought from USA but  will not be buying from outside UK again

UK customes have been helpfull and apparently VAT is payable by the recipient and that is me so my parcel was stopped by customes the VAT and handling charges was added and the parcel was not relesed to be delivered until it was paid buy me no intervention by PB and Global Shipping no way for them to pay the VAT so I'm still worse off by $46.52 and I would like to know who has my money I'd rather have given it way than have it taken by a multi national who could'nt care less!  Try contacting them impossible!

Message 20 of 43
latest reply