how come sellers can sell an item for say 99 cents and postage from usa to Canada be 35.00

I have refused to pay a seller 35.00 postage from usa to Canada.  cause on one site it says 17.00  and on the pay now sheet it says 35.00.  I have tried over and over and over to get the seller to send the 99 cent item first class economy but the seller refuses.  then asked the seller to just cancel my order but they refuse to do anything   are they just wanting to cash in on the rediculas amout of postage???   for 4 days I tried to reason with this buyer now I have to wait till mar 10 to take a complaint in.  wow some seller are just unreasonable I am not a kid I am 60 years old and refuse to be taken for a lot of money on postage.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

how come sellers can sell an item for say 99 cents and postage from usa to Canada be 35.00

@iamcraftyshirley wrote:

I have refused to pay a seller 35.00 postage from usa to Canada.  cause on one site it says 17.00  and on the pay now sheet it says 35.00.  I have tried over and over and over to get the seller to send the 99 cent item first class economy but the seller refuses.  then asked the seller to just cancel my order but they refuse to do anything   are they just wanting to cash in on the rediculas amout of postage???   for 4 days I tried to reason with this buyer now I have to wait till mar 10 to take a complaint in.  wow some seller are just unreasonable I am not a kid I am 60 years old and refuse to be taken for a lot of money on postage.

If this is for the crib toy, the seller is using the global shipping program which means that they send the item to a shipping center in Kentucky and then another company (Pitney Bowes) sends the item on to Canada. It is that company that decides on the cost of the international shipping portion. The seller does not receive that money.

When I look at that listing, the shipping shows as $35.68 to Canada so I'm not sure why you saw another amount. Perhaps you were shown shipping to the U.S. which is  US$15.55. ($15 shipping within the U.S. is super high too)

I agree that the seller could sell it for much less if they used first class international but to be fair, their listing does show the $35 shipping price. If you were shown the wrong price, it was more than likely an ebay glitch and was not the sellers fault although in your situation, I would be very irritated too.  Some U.S. sellers have phobias about sending items outside of the U.S. so that is why they insist on using the global shipping program.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If the seller is moving part of the cost of the item* to shipping, she is using an outdated and always questionable sales tactic.

If the crib toy is only worth 99 cents-- what kind of quality would you expect for that? Do you really want it near your baby?

Politely ask the seller for a Mutual Cancellation of the transaction.

If she agrees, when the request shows up agree immediately. Both of you will be freed from the transaction. Both of you can leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

If you do not pay, she can open an Unpaid Item Dispute to get her fees back. You would get a Strike on your buying account. Many if not most sellers have automatic Blocks against bidders with Strikes.

In future, do check to see that the shipping you see on the first listing page is actually the shipping to Canada. Check the Shipping Tab for this and enter your postal code.

Also look for this

Customs services and international tracking provided
And do not bid if the value of the item is under $100 (It's a good program for higher value stuff.)

* Hmm- This tactic may make a comeback with the Global Shipping Program. With the value of the item under $20 there would be no duty or tax to apply at the border. The GPS service fee would still apply of course. Unintended consequences?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

This tactic may make a comeback with the Global Shipping Program. With the value of the item under $20 there would be no duty or tax to apply at the border

The only shipping price that the gsp seller has control of is the domestic shipping price. I really doubt that they would inflate the domestic shipping price as that would affect all buyers. Also, I don't think most gsp sellers are at all concerned about saving international buyers money.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

This tactic may make a comeback with the Global Shipping Program. With the value of the item under $20 there would be no duty or tax to apply at the border

The only shipping price that the gsp seller has control of is the domestic shipping price. I really doubt that they would inflate the domestic shipping price as that would affect all buyers. Also, I don't think most gsp sellers are at all concerned about saving international buyers money.

Agree.  What often inflates the shipping price for a GSP item is the seller's own rate for shipping the item domestically since the GSP shipping rate is the sum of the seller's shipping rate plus whatever Pitney Bowes is charging for shipping the item from Kentucky to the buyer.

For items with declared values of less than C$20, any processing fees levied by the GSP are added to the shipping price so even with low-valued items buyers are still paying "import charges".

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

this seller refuses to contact me and I have asked them to cancel this bid.  over and over I have tried to communicate in the beginning she or they refused to do anything now they wont even get back to me can you talk to them please as I still see to prices and no it would not be safe for my grandchild sorry I didn't even think of that.  I will not put this item through pay pal.  if you look at all the things I have ordered I have had a lot of good sellers and came to reasonable shipping without a problem. I agree I should have questioned larger postage but I didn't see that at that time.  please help me with this seller I don't want this item anymore at all.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hello 'craftyshirley',

No one here can fix this up for you.  This is a member-to-member board where

ebay users can exchange thoughts and experiences, offer suggestions to one another,

but it is not a 'customer service' center of any sort.

Everyone here is just another ebay user like yourself.

If your seller is steadfastly refusing to assist you or even acknowledge that you exist,

try going to your Purchase History, finding the item, and under the drop-down menu for

More actions, -- try the one that says Mark as payment sent.

Doing that might stop the ebay nag notes for an item that you have no intention of buying.

It won't make any difference and will not fool ebay, paypal, the seller, or anyone else that

the item has been paid, and as such if the seller tries to file an Unpaid case against you,

your having marked that will not prevent her doing so.

That said, if the seller opens an Unpaid Item case, promptly go to the top right corner of the page

for Customer Support, and choose Customer Suppport.  You will get a phone number and

pass code to use when you call.  After all this, you can get ebay to remove the Unpaid case.

Keep in mind, -- however frustrated and outraged you are, always be sweet as candy to the

ebay attendant on the other end of the phone.  They listen to complaints all day and will

respond much more favourably to kindness.

Well, wouldn't you?

I wish you the best with it. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
latest reply