postage

Seller charged me $32.95USD for postage but the postage turned out to be only $16.15.  I sent a msg to seller asking if I would be refunded the difference but I haven't heard back yet.  Is this normal? Will I be refunded?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: postage

@lornaloo1964 wrote:

Seller charged me $32.95USD for postage but the postage turned out to be only $16.15.  I sent a msg to seller asking if I would be refunded the difference but I haven't heard back yet.  Is this normal? Will I be refunded?

It is up to the seller whether or not they refund you the difference.

Keep in mind that if the postage on the package is $16, that price does not include the cost of packing materials and in there was insurance on the package and/or taxes paid...the total doesn't include either.

Sellers are allowed to charge a handling fee above the cost of the actual postage paid to cover those type of charges. But $16 for handling is way too much in my opinion so hopefully the seller will refund you part of the difference. The seller could have planned on sending the item with one method and ended up using a less expensive method. If that's the case, I think that they should refund you but as I said, that is up to the seller.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If you agreed to a lesser price for S&H and the invoice was not what you expected then do not pay.  Ask the seller for an explanation and if you do not like the answer you get,  request a transaction cancellation.   Do not get taken.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

What is the listing number?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Be persistent.

Don't threaten.

Be polite but firm.

Most sellers eventually refund the overpayment.

A few don't.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

You have up to 60 days to leave feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings.

Wait until this situation is resolved.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@lornaloo1964 wrote:

Seller charged me $32.95USD for postage but the postage turned out to be only $16.15.

I'm guessing this was for the listing for the Merrell hiking boots.

Not trying to be nit-picky, but the US$32.95 shipping charge was for shipping and handling, not postage.  Shipping and handling is a service provided by the seller and--in theory, at least--they can charge what they feel is fair market value for that service.

However, I do see that that charge was for a Priority Mail International (parcel post) shipment.  It looks as though the seller shipped the boots by First Class International (letter mail / small packet) instead.  The seller did not use the shipping method specified in the listing.  (As an aside, it also looks as though they pegged the shipment's weight at three pounds when it was actually closer to two.)

In other words, you were charged for a service that you did not receive.

Try going into your PayPal account and "create an invoice" for the amount for which you were overcharged.  Send it to the seller with the note that you did not receive Priority shipping as stated in the listing but instead got First Class.  Tell them that if there is no response by such-and-such a date, you will be taking appropriate action.  In this case, it would be in the form of apt feedback and seller ratings, but don't let the seller in on that at this point.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

the ebay item number is 161089237979

I entered into an agreement to pay that particular amount for shipping and it's fine if the seller doesn't refund me. I just chalk it up to another rip off on ebay.  The seller has not responded to my request. No big deal.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

As indicated by marnotom! above, you were charged and paid for Priority.  If the item was sent by regular first class mail, the seller should refund the difference.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

By the way, did you have to pay any tax at time of receiving the parcel?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

thank you. I have asked seller for refund. If they do not want to refund then that is fine. I agreed to that cost for shipping and I was just surprised that the difference was so much. I wouldn't think that someone would charge an extra almost $17 for just putting a few plastic grocery bags in a box as stuffing. I certainly wouldn't but everyone is not the same. I'm happy with the shoes so that's all that matters.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

no extra tax when I received parcel.  it was just left on my front porch.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I just received a msg from seller and they have no problem refunding the extra money. That's a nice bonus for me because the shoes were absolutely perfect too. I'm very pleased with the seller. 🙂

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

it was just left on my front porch.

And you got it? Better neighbourhood than mine. I once got a bike left on my porch by UPS that was addressed to the same number but a different street two blocks away.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

If it was left on the front porch, i would make a complaint to the Post Office.

They would take that seriously.

I mentioned on here last Christmas that mail was left twice at my daughters front door & once in the return mail slot in her Condo development.

She did make a complaint, as did many others in her area & the Private Courier was let go.

Seems the Private Couriers hired during the Holiday Season are paid per delivery but undelivered packages are to go to the RPO & the white pickup card is to be left in the mail slot.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

nah I'm not complaining about that.  I would rather they left the parcels on the fornt porch instead of me having to fart around and make a trip to the post.  If it's something really valuable then I will make sure the proper arrangements are made for me to go sign for it and pick it up myself.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Keep in mind that reallynicestamps is referring to a UPS shipment, not something shipped through the postal system.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply