"Ask a Question" field

Why is the "Ask a question" option on individual listings not a mandatory published field if a question is asked regarding "imitation or forgery" in the postage stamp section?. Currently the seller can choose not to publish their "Ask a question" answer on listings despite such questions being submitted.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Ask a Question" field

If eBay Head office considered such feedback-recommendations as important then there would be well advertised web links and e-mail contact links within the Forums area, Customer Support Area. etc. I can't locate any page that has direct linkage to allow this contact.

File closed and the problem remains.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

"Currently the seller can choose not to publish their "Ask a question" answer on listings despite such questions being submitted."

That is correct.  Many buyers may not want their question (and subsequent answer) posted on the listing.  Often their question shows a total ignorance of the type of products they want to purchase or lack of reading skills as the answer is clearly in the listing..

To post or not is left to the discretion of the seller.  I do not see anything wrong with that.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Alternatively - buyers are unwittingly buying imitations that have already been identified as such by other more expert eBayers in the form of "ask a question" to the sellers.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Are you sure this post isn't just about getting people to check out your how to spot a forgeries CD you have for sale LOL

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Either way I think it should be up to the seller to decide for reasons pierre already stated .. I used to use but it filled up with Q and Answers that were already in the description so it just ended up being extra to look at for nothing and I do not want extra text for nothing

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

"buyers are unwittingly buying imitations that have already been identified as such"

If you know that a listing misrepresents an item (fake, forgery, etc) you should report it to eBay.  Every listing does have a "report" link.

You may not know that but eBay does have access to a "Stamp Advisory Board" (I was a charter member back in 2003; the only non-American at the time) made of experts in different areas of philately.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Of course postage stamps are not the only category where authenticity is a concern.

But....How could any interested potential buyer accept the credentials of an anonymous eBayer with a posted question accusing the seller of listing a fake or forgery?  Can you imagine how much damage someone could do to the competition if they made false accusations like that?  Think of how many feedback comments accuse sellers of selling fakes - do you have any way of knowing if they are all true evaluations?  The "report" link protects good sellers from bad "experts", and allows doubters or real experts to advise eBay of their concerns.

If "zenstamps" is an expert, he could offer his credentials and services to the Stamp Advisory Board. 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

No

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Already tried reporting - nothing happens with the listings and they just continue as they were - seems unusual to me.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Interesting - how to contact the stamp advisory board?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Regarding: "The "report" link protects good sellers from bad "experts", and allows doubters or real experts to advise eBay of their concerns."

The current system also semi-protects bad sellers from amending their listings immediately for less experienced buyers. I come across various listings with bids that should be ended but are allowed to continue. Who these experts being contacted and how long it takes to get a response?

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

You cannot.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

"nothing happens with the listings"

That probably means that eBay decided that the complaint was not justified or the seller was asked for evidence of authenticity.

You may not be aware of that but, when a seller lists a stamp or stamp set on eBay, prior to listing, eBay advises:

Are you confident that the stamp you are listing is authentic? Are you aware that it is against eBay policy to sell fraudulent items?

eBay reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove any stamp or stamp related item listed on its site if eBay believes that the listing of the item is inconsistent with the selling guidelines set out by the American Philatelic Society, or inconsistent with eBay's goals of promoting the hobby and maintaining a safe trading environment.

eBay strongly recommends that all stamp sellers include in their listings all relevant information known about the stamp, including a clear scanned image of the actual stamp and ALL information concerning any alterations that the seller believes may have been made to the stamp.

Please help us make eBay an even safer place to trade.

Click here for a new window with more information on selling stamp related items on eBay

By clicking the submit button, you are confirming that the item you are about to list is properly described and genuine.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Please clarify how the stamp advisory board works and how the members are selected?

I would be happy to assist in my area of interest and expertise however the main reason for this post is that the current is not working properly and someone/somewhere within eBay needs to take a much closer look at this problem.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I noticed you added "Are you confident that the stamp you are listing is authentic? Are you aware that it is against eBay policy to sell fraudulent items?

There are obviously many sellers on eBay in the stamps section who sell collections and individual stamps that they have no idea about their authenticity and if they had to check every stamp the volumes for sale on eBay would drop by 90%.

That's why its so important that the ask the question option becomes public when involving potential forgeries and imitations. If you start seeing multiple postings about the same potential problem in a lot then it works far quicker and better than waiting for days until a "stamp advisory board" member to get around to viewing the item. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

" its so important that the ask the question option becomes public when involving potential forgeries and imitations."

????

Frankly, it does not make sense.

Such approach would negatively affect a seller posting a question from another member implying or suggesting the item is fake when it is genuine.

Why should seller advertise the stupidity of some members? (and yes, some questions are really stupid)

Sellers who have been around for a while with a large number of transactions know that many questions asked by potential members have little to do with reality.  Many of them have to do with offering a lower price than shown in the listing.  Would potential buyers really want to see their multiple low-ball offers advertised all over letting the world know they are "cheap".  I do not think so.

Buyers concerned with purchasing valuable stamps that could be fakes or forgeries should insist on a certificate of authenticity provided by a reputable institution (APS for example).

The eBay Stamp Advisory Board does NOT look into single listings to determine if the item is genuine or not.  That is not their role.  Nobody does that.  If you feel the risks of purchasing fakes or forgeries on eBay are too great, then there are many other venues where stamps are available.

eBay does not need a "stamp police" inspecting every stamp offered on eBay.

Good Luck.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Hello,

I have copied over the key points in your reply and added my replies beside each for ease of reference:

Buyers concerned with purchasing valuable stamps that could be fakes or forgeries should insist on a certificate of authenticity provided by a reputable institution (APS for example).

A: Totally impractical and will never happen.

The eBay Stamp Advisory Board does NOT look into single listings to determine if the item is genuine or not.  That is not their role.  Nobody does that.  If you feel the risks of purchasing fakes or forgeries on eBay are too great, then there are many other venues where stamps are available.

A: If  "Nobody does that" then what happens to all the reports that are currently submitted on imitations and forgeries?

eBay does not need a "stamp police" inspecting every stamp offered on eBay.

A: Stamp police are absolutely needed when obvious imitations and forgeries are being sold as genuine originals on eBay. Reputation is everything.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

"what happens to all the reports that are currently submitted on imitations and forgeries?"

These reports are investigated by the Trust and Safety department at eBay.  If they need assistance, they may contact APS for advise.

Once again, eBay will NOT authenticate a stamp.  That is not what they do.  eBay is a venue where sellers and buyers meet.

I understand your concerns and, quite frankly, eBay may not be the ideal venue for you to purchase valuable stamps.

"Stamp police are absolutely needed"

????  Why not try your "stamp police" concept on other sites offering stamps, sites with more listings than eBay.

Who would "police" the stamps?  Who would pay for the service?  Who would cover the costs of the "police" being wrong?

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

If you want to continue the debate, I suggest you contact eBay Inc directly, by mail, at their Head Office.

2065 Hamilton Avenue San Jose, California 95125 USA

Explain what you perceive to be the problem and offer a solution to that problem, preferably with a cost budget to implement your suggestions.

Good Luck.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

"what happens to all the reports that are currently submitted on imitations and forgeries?"

These reports are investigated by the Trust and Safety department at eBay.  If they need assistance, they may contact APS for advise.

A: What are the Trust and Safety dept doing when they receive a report of an imitation or forgery?  Looking at the listings and deciding if the stamp(s) look forged? What technical ability does the Trust and Safety department have?

Once again, eBay will NOT authenticate a stamp.  That is not what they do.  eBay is a venue where sellers and buyers meet. 

A: Buyers and sellers meet to buy genuine material or clearly marked imitations - but not to buy imitations purporting to be originals. So again what does the Trust and Safety Dept do when they receive a report but don't possess the technical expertise to differentiate genuine from imitation? Just assume that an experienced seller knows what they are selling?

I understand your concerns and, quite frankly, eBay may not be the ideal venue for you to purchase valuable stamps.

If you want to continue the debate, I suggest you contact eBay Inc directly, by mail, at their Head Office.2065 Hamilton Avenue San Jose, California 95125 USA Explain what you perceive to be the problem and offer a solution to that problem, preferably with a cost budget to implement your suggestions.

A: An entirely on-line system except the head office that requires standard mail to contact?

Message 20 of 23
latest reply