selling old canadian silver dollars

i have old silver canadian silver dollars i was thinking of selling,what i cant understand is how can you ship for 2-3  bucks no tracking insurance ect,hard to compete with that looks like an invitation to get ripped off,my question is how can one do that without getting taken by scammers,and is it better to sell in large quantities or a set of 4 or one at a time

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@aubreyclay56 wrote:

i have old silver canadian silver dollars i was thinking of selling,

what i cant understand is how can you ship for 2-3  bucks no tracking insurance etc,

hard to compete with that looks like an invitation to get ripped off,

my question is how can one do that without getting taken by scammers,and is it better to sell in large quantities or a set of 4 or one at a time

For coins, I'm a seller gradually liquidating his early collecting. In 5 years of selling haven't been scammed (yet).

The trick to using O/S lettermail in Canada is to make sure the coins can not be felt through the outside of the envelope. Packing between 2 sheets of cereal box cardboard so the outer envelope is smooth and firm means: the sorting equipment wouldn't rip it open, and any curious folk won't decide to take a peek.

I tend to group things based on themes and by what will fit in an envelope. Unless valuable I don't sell single coins.  It's about the same cost to ship one when you can ship several.

I also like auctions (with or without BIN) for coins, one of the few areas that auctions still seem to work for when selling.

Do your homework and figure the value of the coin minus cost of selling on eBay (fees, shipping) versus selling locally.  For some coins I've used local coin shops since the rate of return would have been about the same.

If selling a lot of coins consider having an eBay store: Final Value Fees of 6% versus 10%

-.-

If you really want tracked and insured (like Canada Post expedited parcel) then group the coins into larger lots so the cost of shipping is a smaller percentage of the sale.

-.-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@aubreyclay56 wrote:

i have old silver canadian silver dollars i was thinking of selling,

what i cant understand is how can you ship for 2-3  bucks no tracking insurance etc,

hard to compete with that looks like an invitation to get ripped off,

my question is how can one do that without getting taken by scammers,and is it better to sell in large quantities or a set of 4 or one at a time

For coins, I'm a seller gradually liquidating his early collecting. In 5 years of selling haven't been scammed (yet).

The trick to using O/S lettermail in Canada is to make sure the coins can not be felt through the outside of the envelope. Packing between 2 sheets of cereal box cardboard so the outer envelope is smooth and firm means: the sorting equipment wouldn't rip it open, and any curious folk won't decide to take a peek.

I tend to group things based on themes and by what will fit in an envelope. Unless valuable I don't sell single coins.  It's about the same cost to ship one when you can ship several.

I also like auctions (with or without BIN) for coins, one of the few areas that auctions still seem to work for when selling.

Do your homework and figure the value of the coin minus cost of selling on eBay (fees, shipping) versus selling locally.  For some coins I've used local coin shops since the rate of return would have been about the same.

If selling a lot of coins consider having an eBay store: Final Value Fees of 6% versus 10%

-.-

If you really want tracked and insured (like Canada Post expedited parcel) then group the coins into larger lots so the cost of shipping is a smaller percentage of the sale.

-.-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

thankyou very much for your advise ,i am kinda new at selling expensive coins although i have sold a few cheaper coins and was not too concerned about loosing them,i tried the local coin shops but all they will pay is 10.00 each and then they sell them for 35.00
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@aubreyclay56 wrote:
thank you very much for your advise ,i am kinda new at selling expensive coins although i have sold a few cheaper coins and was not too concerned about loosing them, i tried the local coin shops but all they will pay is 10.00 each and then they sell them for 35.00

This week's silver melt value is in the $13-$14cdn range for an old Canadian silver dollar. With higher prices for those in collectible condition. And like books, condition matters to a collector. So if you want a lot more than melt value, you need good quality scans to go with your listing.   Good luck!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

" they will pay is 10.00 each and then they sell them for 35.00 "

Take a good look at what eBay sellers are offering these "silver dollars" for:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Coins-Canada-/3377/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=canada+silver+dollar&rt=nc&L...

That does not mean they get those prices!

Checking the list of sold Canada silver dollars:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Coins-Canada-/3377/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=canada%20silver%20d...

Unfortunately, the search result pages offer a lot of "quarter silver dollar"  It does take a while to find the information you need.

Now if you simply want to sell them you should take a good look at Google and find reputable dealers paying more than $10 each:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canada+silver+dollar+buying+prices&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=oHy...

Years ago when I had some gold Krugarand to sell,  after taking fees, shipping costs, time and risks into account, I found it easier and more rewarding to sell to a large dealer than through eBay.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

i tried the local coin shops but all they will pay is 10.00 each and then they sell them for 35.00

And from the $25 markup, they pay rent, taxes (municipal, provincial and federal), staff, utilities, and insurance. Plus publicity costs and cover some shoptheft.

Plus they hold that coin until someone wanders in who wants just that item, forgoing the (currently minimal) interest the $10 you got would have collected if it sat in the bank.

With any luck, they might also make a profit.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Coins-Canada-/3377/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=canada%20silver%20d...

Unfortunately, the search result pages offer a lot of "quarter silver dollar"  It does take a while to find the information you need.

One quick way to help make the $1 coin more visible in that link is to set the sort to "Price+shipping: highest first" since the dollar is usually more valuable than the quarter.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Since the $1 coin is usually more valuable than the quarter sort the results by "Price+shipping: Highest first".

This makes $1 coins and coin lots more visible at the start.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Sorting the list by "Price+shipping: Highest first" will get more 1 dollar coins and coin lots to show first.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Sorting the list by "Price+shipping: Highest first" will get more 1 dollar coins and coin lots to show first.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply