shipping options when listing on .com

Just wondering what everyone else has been selecting for shipping options when listing on ebay.com since we don't get Canada Post options.
The best options I could find My domestic & int'l don't say how many days and US is 11-23 because 10 days isn't enough and everything else says shipping from Hong Kong or Russia.
My biggest concern (besides defects when it doesn't say a time frame) is that xmas is coming and buyers won't buy if they think shipping will take a month
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: shipping options when listing on .com

I don't list much on eBay.com(I don't have a store on either .ca or .com). I use the monthly free listings and any free listing promos that happen to come my way. When I do list on .com I use "Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)" for shipping to the USA and "Economy Int'l Shipping" for Canada. I no longer ship to many other countries so worldwide is not a priority with me anymore.  Listing on .com has not yet proven to be worthwhile, as rarely sell much using.com.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@prarie_nerd wrote:
Just wondering what everyone else has been selecting for shipping options when listing on ebay.com since we don't get Canada Post options.
The best options I could find My domestic & int'l don't say how many days and US is 11-23 because 10 days isn't enough and everything else says shipping from Hong Kong or Russia.
My biggest concern (besides defects when it doesn't say a time frame) is that xmas is coming and buyers won't buy if they think shipping will take a month

Current shipping choices when listing on eBay.com for the Canadian seller (who ships from Canada)

To the USA
All flat rate, no calculated, with expected delivery time.

Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)
Flat rate Freight

I use Economy Shipping for lettermail / light packet / small packet

and Standard Shipping for Expedited USA

-.-

Outside the USA, to the rest of the world (including Canada)
All flat rate, no calculated, countries are selectable.

Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

Some countries do have estimated times for Int'l - but eBay hides this info unless you look up the country from an active listing.  If the country does not have a time estimate, I believe eBay will use 30 days for INR.

-..-

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

xmas is coming and buyers won't buy if they think shipping will take a month

One possibility is to put your store On Vacation after Nov. 30. and just forgo the questionable sales.
Another is to add a note to each SOLD invoice asking if the buyer wants a quote on faster but more expensive Express shipping.

Both have drawbacks.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Just looking at the calendar, I am shutting down Dec 11 until the 25th.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I think you misunderstood femmefan1946. I don't want to loose sales. That's what I'm worried about. If someone buys an item Dec 5th they'll get it in 2 weeks, long before Christmas. But if they look at the options ebay gives us to advertise they'll think it will take 23 days and won't arrive until after Xmas
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@prarie_nerd wrote:
I think you misunderstood femmefan1946. I don't want to loose sales. That's what I'm worried about. If someone buys an item Dec 5th they'll get it in 2 weeks, long before Christmas. But if they look at the options ebay gives us to advertise they'll think it will take 23 days and won't arrive until after Xmas

I use "standard". It works fine, always has for me.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@prarie_nerd wrote:

IMO what some of the others are trying to tell you is that even if you pick Standard Shipping which gives a short-ish window and your buyers will see that as acceptable and buy, the chances of the item getting there in such a short time are not great and you will be in more trouble with buyers filing INR cases than if you just shut down for the sake of saving your selling record.  If you insist on selling close to Christmas I would suggest you only use a tracked service because that way you can best avoid defects.  Up to you.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If you find that your items tend to arrive in 2 weeks then use standard shipping from outside US. That's what I use and it has worked out well.  During the last 2 Christmas seasons the delivery has been fairly quick to the US.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Femme.i believe that you stayed open last Christmas?  How many late shipping defects did you get in November and December?  

Im curious how many other sellers received during that time.  I didn't receive any and I suspect that's true for quite a few of us.   

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Femme.i believe that you stayed open last Christmas?  How many late shipping defects did you get in November and December?  

Im curious how many other sellers received during that time.  I didn't receive any and I suspect that's true for quite a few of us.   

I had not had as many as one in the last thousand sales.

I worry about selling, not mythical defects.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 11
latest reply