with all the concern about the canada postal strike, shouldn't this effect every seller on there..

I am in Canada and ship to the USA, so i am affected, so i am told i should put my store on holiday mode, so basically everybody who is in   Canada is affected, But the bigger picture would be..  what about all the sellers worldwide who ship to Canada, there is no way everyone is going to go and change their auction settings, to not include Canada.. Usa and the rest of the world namely China, can't get their items to us.. i work tomorrow, so hopefully someone will raise this point to ebay  on tomorrows chat..  Has the usa chat boards been worried about this or not..

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

with all the concern about the canada postal strike, shouldn't this effect every seller on there..

also if we are being advised to put our stores on hold, will there be a store credit for the time we are down..
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Good question, something I haven't thought of.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Might be a silly question... So as a buyer I'll have parcels coming into Canada during July. If the lockout/strike does happen, does it mean the parcel will simply be stuck at the port until the lockout/strike is over? If that's the case it's fine with me as long as it doesn't bounce back to the sending country as I don't want to pay shipping twice lol. I'm okay waiting extra few weeks and I might as well choose surface mail lol.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

a Canada post strike potentially can grind ebay to a halt.. but we are only hearing very little from Ebay about what do anticipate, or how to react accordingly,,
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I am surprised eBay is saying nothing about it. Would be nice to hear from them as to how they are going to treat us in the event of a strike/lockout. Think they must be getting lots of calls though. I called this am & used the call back feature - the callback put me on hold for an hour. Finally hung up.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

We've been asking about it at Board Hour these past two weeks and Raphael has assured us planning is underway, with details forthcoming when the certainty of labour disruption is known.

For now, we're all operating under assumption and speculation there will be a strike  or lockout come early July.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Store on vacation..

Store subscription fees and listing fees continue.....as usual....

No sales

Time to load up the store with new listings..... My choice.....

Trying to continue to sell during a postal strike....  will be a nightmare..... Nobody will enjoy

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I see potential issues for sellers who have not pulled listings or put stores in vacation mode. Buyers who don't read or who don't care will buy then complain leading to a string of negative feedback due to poor communication etc.

No doubt eBay will put a process into place for INR claims. Sellers with tracking numbers showing in transit before strike 'may' be protected but with eBay you never can be sure. For sure sellers who use lettermail will suffer as there is no tracking and no way to differentiate from packages that can be tracked. But that's always been the case, a risk some of us plan for.

For folks who are desperate for things FedEx and UPS are an option, plus smaller courier companies if the distance isn't too far. In my area quick as a wink can carry packages within metro Vancouver but that limits the selling area.

At my day job, we are a UPS Access Point so if there is a strike we expect to see triple the packages we deal with now.

GSP items will no doubt be handled by CanPar and any outstanding GSP items that go past the estimated delivery date will be refunded by PBI, they have funds for this purpose.

If eBay is able to the best way to go about listings is to disable Canada as a ship to location if usps or CPC is used.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I ended all my listings on ebay, but wouldn't you know it I had a sale on Bonanza.  I completely forgot about that one but as long as he pays me this week, it is to the US so it should be fine. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/06/21/7803/

PREPARING FOR A POTENTIAL CANADA POST WORK DISRUPTION
As most Canadians are now aware, Canada Post is currently engaged in labour negotiations with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), which represents its delivery agents and plant workers.
Talks have been ongoing since late 2015 and, following a 60-day conciliation period, the parties are now in a 21-day “cooling-off” period. Based on that timeline, there can be no legal work disruption until July 2, 2016.
While there is still time to reach new agreements, Canada Post is warning its customers that they should take precautions as a labour disruption remains a possibility.
In the event of a full labour disruption, Canada Post will not operate. Mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted. Any mail and parcels within the postal system during a work disruption will be secured and delivered as quickly as possible once operations resume.
Should such a labour disruption occur, eBay will ensure that sellers are not penalized for the delayed arrival of shipments originating or terminating in Canada: eBay will monitor and remove defects associated with shipping delays caused by the Canada Post disruption.
In the event of a postal stoppage, eBay will also launch buyer-facing messaging to ensure that Canadian eBay customers are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.
We encourage you to visit canadapost.ca/update and sign up for email updates to stay informed of the latest developments.
The eBay Canada Team will continue to post updates as additional details become available.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

Might be a silly question... So as a buyer I'll have parcels coming into Canada during July. If the lockout/strike does happen, does it mean the parcel will simply be stuck at the port until the lockout/strike is over? If that's the case it's fine with me as long as it doesn't bounce back to the sending country as I don't want to pay shipping twice lol. I'm okay waiting extra few weeks and I might as well choose surface mail lol.

If the strike looks to Canada Post like it will last more than a few days they will inform all foreign postal services to stop accepting mail destined for Canada. It will be up to those foreign postal services to decide if they want to stop accepting mail or if they want to accept and store until CP starts up again.

During the 1997 strike, USPS was refusing any mail for Canada and returning any mail deposited in mail boxes.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I tried to push for answers on chat and got told off that it comes close to abuse.

Good luck to all who choose to continue selling during a strike, especially for collectibles, and wanted not needed items.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:
a Canada post strike potentially can grind ebay to a halt.. but we are only hearing very little from Ebay about what do anticipate, or how to react accordingly,,

We are all independent businesses. We make our own decisions based upon our own business. We can:

- Stay open, sell, not ship

- Cancel all listings

- Put store on vacation and hide listings (my choice as of the 27th)

- Use couriers

- Drive to the US to ship

What do you think is your best course of action when there is no mail service?

Photobucket
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Lay back and count the bumps on the ceiling.......

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

I ended all my listings yesterday.  I'm not happy about it but do not want to suffer any consequences of not shutting down and things getting stuck in the mail.  I had sympathy for Canada Post before but not when it affects me so much.  I do not rely on the mail to live, but there are lots of people who do.  Hopefully there is a speedy end to this.  I do not relish the thought of not having any listings up until end of July. 

It's amazing how many Canadian sellers are still out there selling, I'm sure they will be coming to this forum in July stating their buyer wants their money back due to INR, what do I do?

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

.... It's amazing how many Canadian sellers are still out there selling, I'm sure they will be coming to this forum in July stating their buyer wants their money back due to INR, what do I do?

Or they've limited it to Local Pickup only, or made arrangements to use a courier instead. Actual e-commerce stores outside ebay aren't going to shut down for a month because CPC isn't running any longer. 

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Information provided to me is all over the place.  I have two sellers in the U.S. who have items on hold to send to me.  One advised me that Fed Ex will cost just a bit more.  It is a ten pound item $59.00 U.S. shipping, so hopefully not much more; this seller is in California.  The other is in Illinois and item weighs 15 pounds and she will check with UPS and Fed Ex tomorrow.

I phoned Canada Post who told me there will always be non union staff working and that U.S. sellers can ship here and items will be held in storage until looming strike/lock out is over with.  But one U.S. eBay seller was told that their item may be shipped back to them.

It is frustrating not getting simple answers; best play it safe and see if items from U.S. will cost similar to ship using other providers.  I am pretty sure eBay U.S. says we can choose to get our money back, but i want these items badly.

eBay U.S. is still telling its' sellers to ship as normal?????

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I doubt it.  I think as I mentioned, that you can return money to buyer or like all retail stores (and I know that most are personal businesses here on eBay Canada) you will have to use an alternate delivery provider which will  probably be higher in costs.  It's bad for everyone.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Best to communicate with seller.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply