with all the concern about the canada postal strike, shouldn't this effect every seller on there..

I am in Canada and ship to the USA, so i am affected, so i am told i should put my store on holiday mode, so basically everybody who is in   Canada is affected, But the bigger picture would be..  what about all the sellers worldwide who ship to Canada, there is no way everyone is going to go and change their auction settings, to not include Canada.. Usa and the rest of the world namely China, can't get their items to us.. i work tomorrow, so hopefully someone will raise this point to ebay  on tomorrows chat..  Has the usa chat boards been worried about this or not..

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: with all the concern about the canada postal strike, shouldn't this effect every seller on there

Hi there, I work for Canada Post and here is the information we have been given on the parcel situation. In Canada many of our retail outlets are not accepting any new parcels (This will force people to use other companies) As for parcels already received by CPC they will be secured by the various plants and held for delivery when a possible work stoppage ends. I have not seen any info speaking to parcels being returned to senders once things go back to normal. So other than the pain in the butt waiting for parcels is going to be all indications are that everything will be held. Now I can't speak for the USPS but I'm sure they are well aware of the situation and are advising their customers to seek other delivery options. Hope this helps

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Re: with all the concern about the canada postal strike, shouldn't this effect every seller on there

I phoned Canada Post who told me there will always be non union staff working

Well, yeah, but those are the managers who fly a desk, not the men and women who are running the machinery, inputting postal codes, driving trucks, walking routes.

If your shipments make it to the border, they will probably pile up in a CBSA warehouse until the disruption is over. And CPO management has announced that they will lock out the workers on Friday.

One advised me that Fed Ex will cost just a bit more.  It is a ten pound item $59.00 U.S. shipping, so hopefully not much more; this seller is in California.

She's wrong.

Not about how much she will pay (and charge you) for shipping. That's probably correct and good for her for trying to be helpful.

The problem is that any courier will be charging you, on your doorstep, the Canadian duty and sales taxes on your item if it is valued over $20CDN (~$16USD).

Your US seller doesn't know that and UPS /FedEx /whatever won't tell her.

And then UPS will add a $25+ 'customs brokerage fee' to the Canadian import fees.

Sent by Canada Post, your purchase might be assessed, or it might not, but Canada Post's service fee is a flat $9.95.

eBay U.S. is still telling its' sellers to ship as normal?????

If Canadian buyers stop buying for the interim, or if sellers are cancelling Canadian bidders because of potential shipping problems, eBay is collecting fewer or lower fees.

Cui bono?

Consider asking your seller's to cancel the sales -- as Buyer's Remorse-- and leave positive feedback. This will have no effect on you or on the seller.

Then put those items on your Watch List for when Canada Post is back on track.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Do you live by the border? If you are really desperate for the items, you could always use a middleman / parcel pick-up service located by the border in the US and send your items there, then drive down there to pick them up yourself (and get some groceries, gasoline etc while you are at it). Domestic shipping is a lot cheaper and you may or may not get charged customs fee when you cross back.

When the dollars were at par, I used to buy things in the states and have them shipped to this place at Point Roberts. For example, Amazon.com domestic shipping is free after a certain amount, and same goes for a lot of online retailers offering free domestic shipping. Just note that if you do this, you might void your buyer protection...

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

I agree with zee-chan, these are great options. 

For those in Toronto, you can use for example Chitchatexpress who takes your items in Toronto, brings them over to US, and ships by USPS. If you are buying something, you can use a personal mailbox service in Niagara Falls such as CBIUSA. 

It is very annoying but I am doing this in the meantime. 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Will they allow you to ship perfume in the US? I remember not being able to do that within Canada.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

You do not have to close to Chit Chats or other services who take your packages across the border. In British Columbia at the new Chit Chats people are couriering their consolidated packages from all the province, even as far away as Manitoba. Everywhere is workable. Former ID:. Booktotheborder
Message 26 of 26
latest reply