50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

jakeeangel
Community Member
I want the snipe!

You're not getting answers. You're getting opinions. And you know what they say about opinions....

Once again, it boils down to you CANNOT tell a company what they should charge for a service. Period! If you don't like it, don't use them.

YOU'RE not their customer. The seller is because they paid them for the service. The fact you sent money to the seller to pay for that service is irrelevant. The seller contracted them to ship the item to you. Why do they use UPS or other couriers? So they can get a tracking number to comply with PayPal's Seller Protection Policy & you and get your item faster. It's not to rip anyone off.

If you ship something with Canada Post to a buyer in the US and it's lost or damaged, Canada Post deals with you. Why? Because YOU'RE their customer not the person in the US.

B & complain all you want. Go in on the class action suit if you want. Knock yourselves out. Lawyers will sue God because it's not 80 degrees in Canada in January if they could. It means nothing!!! They're only in it for the money and the publicity. They heard a bunch of people whining and complaining and they acted on it. You don't think they're getting paid from this somewhere? Do you really think they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts?

ffftttt

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!

When you find doing what's right hard to do - you've got a problem.
Message 401 of 950
latest reply

What would we, the buyers PREFER

Well, thats a fascinating idea!

Walking into the local car dealer:

Hello there! I'd really like to purchase that nice big SUV you have there - I see that you seem to want $40,000 for it - however, what I, as a buyer, REALLY PREFER to pay for it, is more in the neighbourhood of $12,000. Hows that sound to you, Mr. Salesman?

Walking into the local grocery store:

My, these steaks sure look nice. I see that the store seems to want $20/pound for them. But truly, I as a buyer, REALLY PREFER to pay only $2/pound for them. How's that sound to you, Ms. Cashier?

Photobucket

Message 402 of 950
latest reply

Lawyers will sue God because it's not 80 degrees in Canada in January if they could

I think we should have a class action suit against - oh - lets say - WEATHER PERSONS! They keep predicting gloom n doom, snow and more snow, high winds, freezing rain.

Well, WE THE PEOPLE REALLY PREFER to have nice sunny days, not too hot, not too cool, no wind, maybe a few fluffy clouds in the sky - and none of that other nonsense!

Ya, lets sue THEM, shall we???

Photobucket

Message 403 of 950
latest reply

this is such a fun thread to wake up in the morning and read
Photobucket

Message 404 of 950
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
LOL

Message 405 of 950
latest reply

gee canuck can you come to my dealership--if you pay sticker price!!! I can sell you some really nice cars
Message 406 of 950
latest reply

northlandca
Community Member
Actually, the UPS rate isn't that high. I regularly import from Germany, and it never even occurred to me, that the $60 flat fee from my broker was too high. Looking at the paper work, I know for sure, I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Just because many regular consumers are taken by surprise, doesn't mean UPS should not charge for the service. And it sure doesn't mean, it is a rip off.

And in regards to the Canada Post $5 fee: You get, what you pay for. Instead of custom clearance within hours, it takes days if not weeks. Not exactly an option for UPS.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

------------------------------------------------------
life is like a ladder - every step we take is either up or down
Message 407 of 950
latest reply

... i don't pay sticker price... i have dealt with one dealership since 1990 and get consistently good pricing on vehicles

and when they screw up ... i let 'em know it too!
Photobucket

Message 408 of 950
latest reply

I regularly import from Germany, and it never even occurred to me, that the $60 flat fee from my broker was too high.

This is just a guess, but since you have your own broker, northlandca, I would assume the work he does is a business expense?

If that is the case, it is not quite the same as clearing a single item for an individual who cannot deduct the brokerage costs, or pass them on to the consumer.

Message 409 of 950
latest reply

northlandca
Community Member
Yes, we use the same broker every time. And he is actually on the cheaper end, others have charges over $100 for the same service.

I am just saying, just because UPS charges for a service that may take some consumers by surprise, it is not unethical, like it was suggested her in the thread.

Message 410 of 950
latest reply

northlandca
Community Member
And yes, the brokerage fee is a business expense, but that doesn't change anything.

Message 411 of 950
latest reply

ya.. but.. thats the point we've been trying to hammer home ... and some people just are not getting it...

Photobucket

Message 412 of 950
latest reply

WE DO GET IT!!!

We don't want to tell UPS what to charge. WOULD YOU STOP SAYING THAT PLEASE. STOP PUTTING FALSE WORDS IN MY MOUTH.

All we want is for UPS to conduct BETTER DISCLOSURE of their brokerage fees.

It would be good if they could disclose the fees to THEIR CUSTOMER, who is the SHIPPER.

As a RECEIVER of goods, I DID NOT CONTRACT UPS to act as my broker!!!

Yes, yes, I KNOW THAT IT IS UP TO THE IMPORTER TO FIGURE IT OUT. It would be really nice if the importer (the receiver of goods) did not have to find an obscure web page every time they buy something from a different supplier. At least now they have the info on a website. A few years ago, THE BROKERAGE FEE WAS NOT POSTED ANYWHERE.

Do you get it now?

DON"T SAY I WANT TO TELL UPS WHAT TO CHARGE.

DON"T SAY THAT THE FEES SHOULD BE ON STAMPS (OR OTHER IDIOTIC SUGGESTIONS).

The apoligetics for UPS around here are amazing. It's like playing whack a mole.
We've heard every excuse under the book.

It all boils down to: "you should have known what the fees were when you bought an item from the US. NEENER NEENER. You lose, UPS wins."
Message 413 of 950
latest reply

... more like trying to whack a possum.... and guess who is the possum....

YOU

Photobucket

Message 414 of 950
latest reply

northlandca
Community Member
It all boils down to: UPS is legitimately charging a fee for a service they are performing. And that fee is by no means to high.

I also read on this thread, that they even wave the fee for first-timers.

I guess some people will never be satisfied.

Message 415 of 950
latest reply

that's for sure!
Photobucket

Message 416 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
"... i don't pay sticker price... i have dealt with one dealership since 1990 and get consistently good pricing on vehicles."

Contradicted yourself there canuck. You suggested in your earlier post you can't get that $40,000 SUV any cheaper.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 417 of 950
latest reply

coinsnmore2007
Community Member
"It would be good if they could disclose the fees to THEIR CUSTOMER, who is the SHIPPER."

Do you really think the shipper (seller) is going to contact you after they ship it and say "by the way, you owe $X.xx when you receive it"

How much you owe to get something into your country is not their problem.

The seller has an obligation to ship the item via whatever method was stated in the auction. If you don't agree to that method than don't bid.

"We've heard every excuse under the book"

Ignorance is no excuse either. My Christmas Wish List
Establish an alibi and eliminate the motive!

Lance
Photobucket
A woman's legs are her best friends, but sometimes best friends have to part.
Message 418 of 950
latest reply

...suggested nothing of the sort.. was giving you an example of trying to dictate to retailers
Photobucket

Message 419 of 950
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
When you make an account with eBay and PayPal for example, you agree to abide by all their terms and conditions. Some of which people agree with. Some of which people don't. By creating a User ID you have agreed to ALL of their terms, like them or not. Same with PayPal or any other account for that matter.

When you agreed to have the seller ship with UPS you AGREED to abide by the terms of UPS. One of which is AGREEING THAT THEY TO ACT AS BROKER ON YOUR BEHALF!!!

You didn't know that? Too bad! It doesn't change the fact that it's there in the fine print.

Message 420 of 950
latest reply