Am I Being Scammed?

Hello Everybody,

I could use the advice of somebody with more experience and expertise with eBay than myself.

Friday I bought this product:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kirkland-Minoxidil-5-Extra-Strength-12mo-Supply-Mens-Hair-Loss-Treatment-/26...

Twelve months of Kirkland Minoxidil 5% Extra Strength for US $17.98 is an incredible, fantastic, unbeatable deal. Because they are an “eBay Premium Service”, “eBay Money Back Guarantee”, and “Authenticity: VERIFIED AUTHENTIC” they seem like a reputable seller. But . . .

(1) Why are they suddenly getting so much negative feedback from their customers? Since this past Friday, their feedback score has dropped from 98.5% positive feedback to 79.5%.

(2) Their ad states that “More than 10 available” yet they have taken down their ad . . . why?

(3) Why did they shut down their eBay seller’s account?

(4) If this is a scam, it seems like a stupid one. Since Jun 28, 2017 they have built a strong eBay reputation that is an asset that they can use to sell legitimate products for the rest of their life, but they are throwing away their reputation for what? To scam 113 people out of US $17.98 . . . for $2031.74?

(5) Despite all of this, today I received a tracking number for China Post via PayPal that seems to work at the below website, and it seems as if my product has been shipped? It could be a fake tracking number or a fake product? Is that likely, I don’t know?

http://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking/

I contacted the seller in China, no reply yet, but if they are scammers they could just lie.

Anyway, if any smart eBay users would like to share their astute advice about this situation I would be grateful.

Many thanks,

Eddie!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Am I Being Scammed?

marnotom!
Community Member
The item is a Costco product, the listing states it’s shipped from Glen Bernie, Maryland but the seller is based in Hong Kong/China and the item is being shipped via China Post?

I think you’ll agree none of this adds up to something that doesn’t smell.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

Because they are an “eBay Premium Service”, “eBay Money Back Guarantee”, and “Authenticity: VERIFIED AUTHENTIC” they seem like a reputable seller. But . . .

While there is an eBay Money Back Guarantee (and we'll get back to that) the rest sounds like hype and frankly  -- lies.

(1) Why are they suddenly getting so much negative feedback from their customers?

What does the negative feedback say?

If it says no product was received, you were scammed.

If it says the product is not authentic, you were scammed.

edit:  The seller's feedback has been made private. Sellers are not allowed to have private feedback.
But the numbers indicate he went bad some six months ago, with 36 negs in that time.
This may have been a hijacked account too. Or the seller was buying up until he began this scheme.

(2) Their ad states that “More than 10 available” yet they have taken down their ad . . . why?

(3) Why did they shut down their eBay seller’s account?

They didn't.

EBay shut down a fraudulent site.

EBay is very bad about dealing with the fallout from fraudulent sales. They don't make it easy to get a refund.

(4) If this is a scam, it seems like a stupid one.

Talk to any lawyer.

Criminals are stupid.

And there is the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Because they are too dumb to see the flaws in their master plan, they think everyone else is too.

(5) Despite all of this, ...it seems as if my product has been shipped? It could be a fake tracking number or a fake product?

Yes.

What does that negative feedback say?

Now -- the Money Back Guarantee.

EBay allows 30 days after delivery to open a Dispute (in this case Not As Described, probably) in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

But

The transaction, being fraudulent, probably has been removed from eBay's pages and you need the transaction number.

Which is where eBay is stupid.

Go to your Paypal account, find your payment and record the transaction number.

When the shipment arrives, open the Dispute, using that transaction number.

You have only 30 days to do this with eBay.

State in the dispute that eBay has closed down the seller. This usually helps.

Ask eBay to step in, escalate to a Claim.

If the seller does not send return shipping, you will be refunded. This is the most likely scenario.

If the seller does send return shipping, when the item shows returned, you will be refunded.

If the seller does not refund voluntarily, eBay will refund you and go after the seller for their money.

If you miss the deadline, you can still pursue a refund through Paypal and through the credit card you use to back your PP account.

But start with eBay.

It could be a fake tracking number or a fake product?

The tracking number is probably valid, for something. It could be a picture of the real product, or some valueless bauble.

In either case, your Dispute is Not As Described.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

If a price is too good to be true,  chances of it being true are very very slim.

I don't know what the scam is but I would definitely say it is a scam. The seller has changed their feedback to private now which means previous buyers can't see the feedback comments and which means they are no longer selling as sellers can't have private feedback.

If you receive the product, I can't imagine it being  authentic but since they have mailed 'something' you can't file for an item not received until the day after the last estimated delivery date. I think though that if ebay actually makes the seller 'no longer registered' then you can file before that.

If you do have to file a case later on, please come back and we may be able to help you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

mcrlmn
Community Member

"Minoxidil 5% Extra Strength"

Snake oil... Yes siree bob you are.

That aside, in Canada, 2 % minoxidil is available without a prescription but the 5 % minoxidil requires a prescription.

Golly!

Where is our fellow member that has the caption at the bottom of his posts,

"Old enough to know better..."?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

Hello,

I would like to thank the people who took the time to answer my questions. I still don’t really know what is going on, but eBay emailed me this morning to write

“Since you've already paid for the item, you don't need to do anything else. If your item hasn't arrived yet, it should arrive soon. If it doesn't, then you'll want to open a case in our Resolution Centre.”

So I guess I’ll wait and see what happens.

Eddie!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Am I Being Scammed?

Thank you for your detailed feedback, Eddie.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply