Another item stuck in Glendale Height - international shipping twilight zone

I have read a handful of similar posts by now but very few of them have a final update on whether or not the item was finally received and, if so, how long exactly it lingered in Glendale Heights before tracking was updated...

I have a somewhat costly item that arrived at Glendale Heights on May 19th with the tracking update of:

Delivered, Left with Individual. Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 11:07 am on May 19, 2023 in GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL 60139.

Since then, there has not been any additional tracking update given to the item. I have tried twice now to speak with an eBay support staff on this to ask if such time delay is unique or considered suspect but I get stonewalled and then they simply paste language about methods for filing a INR after the EDD and receiving a refund

The Estimated Delivery Date is quoted as being June 13th so I realize I still have about 14 more days to 'wait and see' but I guess I don't have a good feeling about this after reading of other people's items never arriving (laptops, phones , etc) - it would be terrible if there was a theft problem afoot since it's so commonplace for eBay to dole out refunds to items that have gone missing... If others have been in this situation (the no-update Glendale Heights twilight zone...) but STILL had their items arrive by the EDD or soon thereafter I'd love to hear of your examples.

Thanks!👍
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It's a Bad Idea to watch tracking, because most carriers use spoke and hub delivery which seems to show the purchase wandering all over the continent before delivery.

At this point, the customer reps are right.

The seller and the eIS program have until June 13th to deliver your purchase.

There is nothing you can do to speed this up.

NOTHING.

So mark June 13 on your calendar and try not to think about it until then.

FWIW- the Glendale hub is near Chicago's O'Hare airport and is a busy area for import/export businesses. And your purchase is travelling on a pallet with hundreds of other items bound for Canada.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I have an item that is sitting at that depot since May12th and I still havent received it, the delivery date is due tomorrow for June 1st. I dont really think its going to get here.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@jacoheinr wrote:

I have an item that is sitting at that depot since May12th and I still havent received it, the delivery date is due tomorrow for June 1st

It may not be “sitting at the depot.” You might not be getting updated tracking scans.

I find the Parcelsapp site quite useful for consolidating tracking information for shipments involving several different carriers. Try looking your item up there.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

This is bad advice, I only have 1 tracking number, the UPS tracking from the seller to the Illinois shipping center... What would this tracking number help with? I already can see it was delivered there on the 12th. Parcelsapp shows the same thing the UPS site says. 

It hasnt arrived today, and if it doesnt tomorrow I guess I get a refund? How long does it take to get the refund?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@jacoheinr wrote:

This is bad advice, I only have 1 tracking number, the UPS tracking from the seller to the Illinois shipping center... What would this tracking number help with? I already can see it was delivered there on the 12th. Parcelsapp shows the same thing the UPS site says. 

Sometimes Parcelsapp is able to pick up the tracking from the new carrier taking over the shipment and connect that tracking to that of the original carrier.  As there's no connecting tracking information, I'm going to hazard a guess that the next carrier wasn't able or was unwilling to handle the item.  What is the item?  Is it something that could be problematic to forward, such as an electronics item with a lithium-ion battery?

@jacoheinr wrote:

It hasnt arrived today, and if it doesnt tomorrow I guess I get a refund? How long does it take to get the refund?

Is tomorrow the first or the last estimated date of delivery?

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Tomorrow is the last day unfortunately.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I should also add its a DSLR.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@jacoheinr wrote:

I should also add its a DSLR.

If it's powered by a lithium ion battery, that could be the problem, then.

Shipments of lithium ion batteries are supposed to be okay through eIS if they're housed inside the device for which they're intended, but I'm starting to wonder if the workers at the shipping hub in Illinois are aware of this, or perhaps the information on eIS item restrictions is inaccurate.

devon@ebay 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I have never had an issue buying stuff like this when it was the old GSP, this is why they should update the tracking for the customer. Item hasnt arrived, big suprise there.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@jacoheinr wrote:

I have never had an issue buying stuff like this when it was the old GSP, this is why they should update the tracking for the customer. Item hasnt arrived, big suprise there.

The GSP had huge tracking issues when it was first introduced, actually, so I'm not surprised that eIS is having them as well.  It takes a while to get the IT from various shipping companies integrated into eBay's aging infrastructure.

Personally, after years of being an obsessive tracking geek, I've come to the conclusion that tracking is overrated from the buyer's perspective.  Most buyers just want to know that their item has been shipped off and that it's going to arrive within the estimated delivery timeframe.  If while in transit the item goes off to Tuktoyaktut instead of Toronto but still ends up at its destination on time, does it really matter?  The tracking information you have confirms that you don't have your item.  Frustrating, for sure, you have my commiserations, and it would be useful to know why your item appears to have dead-ended the way it has for future reference, but it is what it is.  Hope the refund process goes smoothly for you.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I will give you an example.

I have 3,yes 3 holley carburetors outstanding.

Two of them are over two weeks without an update,May 18th, the other May 23rd.

I reside in the GTA,not in the middle off nowhere.

I contacted customer service,no help.

I clicked on "contact seller button" and got an error message on two of the carbs,interesting.

By June 6th is the delivery date on two and the 13th on the other.

I will give it adequate time and see if they show up.

Maybe its cheaper for them to keep the items then send them to me as they weigh about 15lbs each.

I have spent 1000's on Ebay,1000's upon 1000's.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@jhil7584 wrote:

I have 3,yes 3 holley carburetors outstanding.

If the carbs are pre-owned, there's a prohibition against sending used parts "containing hazardous residue" through eBay International Shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/ebay-international-shippin...

If the carbs are new, undertrained staff may be experiencing some confusion about whether they're permitted or not.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Yes they are used carbs.

I am hoping that's not the issue.

I would have thought that  Ebay would have let me know if that were the case.

I was talking to customer service.

The sellers were able to put thru the sale,no problem.

There are still many used carbs for sale to Canada but you definitely have a point.

Thank-you for the info marnotom,much appreciated.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Maybe its cheaper for them to keep the items then send them to me as they weigh about 15lbs each.

Is "they" the seller?

Because the UPS tracking tells you he did ship.

And it's not personal.

A seller might decide he personally will not pay more than he charged for shipping to the buyer,

but a random worker on the conveyer belt in a plant in Glendale likely doesn't care.

His job is to keep the line moving.

He gets his $13.00 an hour for moving carburetors, books, sportscards, or hand lotion. He really doesn't care.

Two of those purchases should be in your hands on Tuesday. The other next Tuesday.

Until then, it makes no difference if they are in Chicago or Iqaluit or Toronto.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I was referring to Ebay as they.

The sellers did their job perfrctly,no issues there at all.

All the items got to  Carol Stream, IL.

The tracking is from Pitney Bowes,not UPS.

I hope the items are in Toronto area.

I know its not personal,there are many buyers in the same boat.

However i am a little perturbed.

You feel like a one legged man tying to kick himself in the as$, its fustrating.

I was really looking forward to getting these carbs.

It would be a shame if none of them show up.

After 18 days without any updates i am losing hope.

I will give it until June 9th to see what happens,for the first two.

I am hoping to at least get a refund for these items if they don't show and move on.

Appreciate your comments, best regards.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply