Antique doll returned to seller as it is prohibited from entry to Canada!

I was just informed that the antique doll I bought on ebay is being returned to the seller as it is prohibited from entry to Canada! I have bought hundreds of antique dolls from the States and never had a problem before - what is going on????  Has anyone ever heard of this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Antique doll returned to seller as it is prohibited from entry to Canada!

Through the Global Shipping Program?

Any mentions of ivory used in the doll?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Not GSP, but eBay shipping, where it goes into the Canada Post system when it gets to Canada and customs charges handled by them instead of up front. No ivory or Amy ting like that on the doll.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

There have a few reports of that happening with items sent through global shipping and also with ebays international shipping program.  In most cases, there doesn't seem to be a logical reason as to why it's happening.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

DHL seems to handle some of those eBay International Standard shipments on their US leg.  I found that it doesn't handle antiques for importation into a particular French territory.  Whatever carrier was handling your purchase in the US may be squeamish about handling antiques or perhaps unable to handle them for insurance reasons.  "Prohibited" doesn't necessarily mean "illegal".

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Start an Item Not Received Dispute..... no wait.

Explain to the seller what has happened. Ask for her advice about your next steps.

Perhaps just shipping a different way (GSP? USPS First Class International Package?  Both have the Confirmation of Delivery the seller would want.) ?

You might, if she sounds reluctant, offer to pay half the new shipping cost. Depends on how much you want the doll.

If she is not willing to reship, ask politely for a refund.

The reason I don't think you should start an Item Not Received Dispute, which would be the normal way of handling these problems, is that eBay does not require ANY refund when a shipment is Undeliverable. Do NOT mention that to the seller.

If she is recalcitrant, you are also covered by Paypal for 180 days from Payment and by the credit card you back your PP account with (card policies on chargeback differ).

And now I have an earworm---  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMeSrynug0

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

This is not considered the 'typical'  undeliverable package as per the mbg so the buyer is entitled to a full refund and the seller should have already been informed that they will have to refund. There should not be a need to file a claim. 

Sellers using ebay international standard are not charged the shipping fee until the packages either reaches the center or until it is processed and leaves the processing center.  But I'm fairly sure that it is the latter in which case the seller hasn't had to pay for shipping yet and when they refund they can refund in full without either party being out any funds.

The op should contact the seller and see if they are willing to list the item so that it is shipped directly to Canada and if so, they can relist the item with the correct shipping cost.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply