Any particular reason whenever someone gets ripped off,it's most often a seller from China

This is not a racial comment lets be clear about that. Every time i have had any issues as a buyer those problems have always been with a seller from China ? Yet i have sold several items to Chinese buyers without any issues ?

Just wondering why this is......?

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this ?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Any particular reason whenever someone gets ripped off,it's most often a seller from China

Well, to begin with, not every 'Chinese' person is a citizen of the People's Republic.

Heck, we've even had a Governor-General who was ethnically Chinese and born in Hong Kong. My Chinese cousins are from a family that have already been in Canada for two generations. I'm a first generation immigrant.

PRC has effectively no Rule of Law. While most citizens are as honest as any Canadian, there are a lot of people in China, so there are also bound to be a lot of people with ... creative.... attitudes to selling.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Any particular reason whenever someone gets ripped off,it's most often a seller from China

To OP, if the item you bought is "too cheap to be true", then it's more likely that the item you bought is a piece of **bleep** to begin with...

BUT, I'm not trying to over generalize here. I have bought quite a few China items that I feel are "too cheap to be true", accepting the risk that I might lose a few dollars, and I do usually end up getting items that are okay. I think it kinda depends on what you are buying too. If it's electronics, don't keep your hopes up too high. 

PRC has effectively no Rule of Law. While most citizens are as honest as any Canadian, there are a lot of people in China, so there are also bound to be a lot of people with ... creative.... attitudes to selling.

I like your ... creative ... response! 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You only hear complaints when a deal goes bad,but when you compare it to the amount of sales from China,is there any wonder why some don't go  well?

I have bought a few items from China especially since the introduction of GSP,I have not had one single deal gone bad,every experience I have had was pleasant.  

If a deal is too good to be true,if the item is priced ridiculously low,if the seller's FB is less than 99%,I would say it's time to walk away and save yourself a lot of headache.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

What bidding in auction to Chinese sellers ?
Sometimes you win at ridiculously low prices which seem too good to be true.

Can these be trusted ?

@patken123 wrote:

You only hear complaints when a deal goes bad,but when you compare it to the amount of sales from China,is there any wonder why some don't go  well?

I have bought a few items from China especially since the introduction of GSP,I have not had one single deal gone bad,every experience I have had was pleasant.  

If a deal is too good to be true,if the item is priced ridiculously low,if the seller's FB is less than 99%,I would say it's time to walk away and save yourself a lot of headache.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

red_oranda
Community Member

It depends on your luck with sellers, I suppose.

I'm an Ebay member since 2002 (multiple accounts). I've bought items from China and had no problems at all. On the other hand, every single time I've gotten ripped off (clothing was smaller than advertised, had stains that weren't mentioned in the listing) the seller was American. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

From posts I have read here,a lot of of the complaints are in cases like you mentioned when the seller backs off sneakily from the deal( that was won at a ridiculously low price),As it has been mentioned ,there are a lot of auctions that goes sour for the sellers,many are from China,I admit that, but as a buyer you gamble when you bid,and since you are at the mercy of the seller and rely on his/her integrity,sometimes you lose specially if you did not do your homework by not reading/ignoring the seller's low ,FBs,

How often have you read from buyers that won with a low bid and the Chinese seller honored the deal?not often,but the reason you don't hear from them? it's not out of the ordinary,it's not bad news ,only the bad news seems to be worthy of attention.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply