At check out it says, TO USE PAYPAL YOU MUST BE IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS THE SELLER..

So i have bought an item from the USA, as i have many times, but this time, when i try to pay,  it comes up in big ref letters, If you want to use paypal, or paypal credit card you must be in the same country as the seller..  I have googled it but not much helps comes up, the seller called paypal, and they enabled him to accept canadian payments, and that didn't help..  Anyone have any insights here..

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

At check out it says, TO USE PAYPAL YOU MUST BE IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS THE SELLER..

My first thought was that the seller had ‘all non US PP accounts’ blocked in PayPal, but it sounds as if PayPal disabled that for them so I’m not sure what to suggest,

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

they talked to paypal, and the seller is convinced it is an issue on my end. But it is not, i bought from the usa a week ago , no issues.. and i use paypal balance not, credit card..

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
A bit of a long shot, but did you have to get the seller’s permission to purchase the item because the listing states that they “may not” or “does not” ship to Canada?
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

no the customer has worldwide shipping.. His account is not set up correctly to accept payments, from any country other than the USA.  Even tried sending an invoice through paypal, but it won't let me pay, because i am not in the USA..

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

PayPal still allows the block on non-US accounts. This block does not prevent foreign buyers from purchasing it just prevents them from paying.

It also applies to US residents (or even citizens) if they attempt to use a non-US credit card (Canadian snowbirds for example).

This block is turned off by default but many people set it to on because they have heard it's a way to prevent scammers. While it might do that it also blocks legitimate buyers from paying, such as those that use a domestic mail forwarder.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

In the op it says 'they (Paypal) enabled him to accept canadian payments'  If they didn't turn off the block I wonder what they did.

@esclyons 

If this is still an issue, Have you talked to PP and asked if the sellers 'accept payments only from US Paypal accounts' block is on? I don't know if they will tell you but it can't hurt to ask.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

ebay and paypal, couldn't figure it out, so we ended up cancelling the transaction.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Sorry for being late to the party, I have also encountered this situation in the past. In my case the issue was the seller was not an authorized seller, I could only purchase the item from the  manufacturer in the US, in order to have it shipped to Canada.

I asked the same question here awhile back, and found the only solution was to purchase directly from the manufacturer. A little while later the item was no longer in the inventory of the original seller I had wanted to buy from.

I may be wrong, but could it be a copyright issue?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply