Buying Items

toniades
Community Member

HI

I want to help buyers to be very careful with purchases, I bought DVDs from two different sellers, who failed to mention that the dvds do not work in Canada. So I paid items through Paypal. And when I wanted to return them the sellers were very rude , they insulted me and finally Paypal asked me to send items back with a tracking and they would reimburse me. I did everything they asked and paid 40$ to send back. Only to receive items almost three months later, and worse Paypal wont reimburse me. So becareful with purchases, buy from your EBay account and Paypal is not very helpful. I have returned items that were damaged in the past and I never used Paypal and I never had issues. Becareful with the sellers. Unfortunately I have stopped buying items. I use sellers where return policy is simple and they send you a packing slip for returns as well. I have spent too much and what a bad experience

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Buying Items

DVDs sold overseas generally do not play in Canada. It's a different Region. I gather you learned that lesson the hard way and, yes, try shopping locally instead of buying from sellers in the Far East or wherever it was that you had to ship it back with a high cost of tracking.

Ask questions, then Commit to Buy. It's easier that way.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

I buy DVDs from the UK and Australia frequently.

You just need a "Region Free DVD Player" to watch them.

Plenty of Region Free DVD Players listed for sale on eBay and located in Canada. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

You can also play those UK/Australia DVDs on a Mac.

Possibly also on a PC.

My allregion DVD player cost $13 at Canadian Tire about three years ago.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buying Items

DVDs sold overseas generally do not play in Canada. It's a different Region. I gather you learned that lesson the hard way and, yes, try shopping locally instead of buying from sellers in the Far East or wherever it was that you had to ship it back with a high cost of tracking.

Ask questions, then Commit to Buy. It's easier that way.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

I buy DVDs from the UK and Australia frequently.

You just need a "Region Free DVD Player" to watch them.

Plenty of Region Free DVD Players listed for sale on eBay and located in Canada. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

You can also play those UK/Australia DVDs on a Mac.

Possibly also on a PC.

My allregion DVD player cost $13 at Canadian Tire about three years ago.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

marnotom!
Community Member

@toniades wrote:

I bought DVDs from two different sellers, who failed to mention that the dvds do not work in Canada. 

Were the sellers based in Canada?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

both sellers were from Italy
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

May be helpful in future.

Did you try playing the DVD on your computer? Did it work?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

@toniadeswrote:

both sellers were from Italy

Unless these sellers listed the DVDs on eBay.ca instead of a European eBay site (the giveaway would be the currency used in the listings) and/or were marketing them strictly to Canadians, I don't think they would need to state explicitly that they would be unplayable on conventional Canadian DVD players.  After all, if you went to Italy and bought them in a shop, there wouldn't be special signs for Canadian turistas stating this.  You'd just have to know that there's a good chance that Italian and European-manufactured DVDs would not be compatible with conventional DVD players manufactured for Canadian use, unless they're "region 0".  North American DVDs are generally "region 1" while those for western and central Europe are "region 2".

Having said that, I suspect that the DVDs' region code was stated somewhere in those listings, but at the time you didn't know what the term meant.  You do now.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Buying Items

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 9 of 9
latest reply