Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

It's so complicated to do the math. But figuring that the 2nd coat cost 6 times what the 1st one did, and the fees are not even close to twice the amount on the 2nd one vs the 1st....well, I love them both and that's what counts, right? Lol.

And I should add, the 1st is a small jacket, vs the huge monster the 2nd one is, so the weights are waaaay off....

Message 921 of 6,171
latest reply

Was the second coat shipped by Express mail?

Message 922 of 6,171
latest reply

It costs the eBay buyer up to 3 times more when the seller uses Global Shipping.

Also, the Canadian buyer must pay taxes on the item.  If the item

is shipped using USPS, chances are there will not be any taxes or duties charged.

Canada Customs will just let the item thru, especially used items.

Now, I'm going to get a lot of flack from US sellers, but Global Shipping is used

because the seller is just too lazy to go the extra mile to the post office.

I too will not buy from a seller who uses it.

Message 923 of 6,171
latest reply

I have been shopping eBay for Ebays Global Shipping Program (GSP)

It's the biggest scam going! I have bought many items over $1000.00 and have had them shipped USPS and have hardly been charged what the GSP estimates at checkout. If you read the buyers terms and conditions about the program. You will read that the GSP might charge to much and if they do.....to bad for you! There are no refunding the overpaid import taxes ect...

I decided never to buy from anyone that uses this scam of a program!  US sellers have a choice to sign up for the program and most use it to avoid the hassle from international buyers complaining about import charges and taxes when they receive their purchase and then leave them bad feedbacki because of it. Mostly new ebayers complained because they don't know they get charged all that when buying from the USA. I don't blame the sellers for using the GSP but where doe the GSP get off figuring out how much it's going to cost us (Canadians) for import taxes and taxes considering almost all provinces charge differently. Where does the money go that they have possibly over charged us and why can't we get refunded the difference if they made a mistake and is the money actually going towards the what they say it is?

I want some proof that the Canadian government is getting what the GSP is charging.

It's ruining the deals we were getting by shopping ebay.com  I am trying to figure out who to complain to on ebay and so far no luck.

Anyone have any opinions or at least agree with me? Post your comments.

Message 924 of 6,171
latest reply

Yes, it was sent Express.

Message 925 of 6,171
latest reply

Oops, my math was off, sorry. The total fees added to the 2nd one was $210 - not the $110 I had stuck in my head just now. Dumdum, lol.
Message 926 of 6,171
latest reply

biggest scam ever!

And it's not an "outside" supplier either. I just received a parcel that the seller used it and the parcel had to be opened to verify the value--the letter was from ebay shipping!   LOL

I wonder if US sellers are getting "nailed" for a commission on that part of the sale also??

Message 927 of 6,171
latest reply

UPS obviously...Wonder why UPS air doesn't charge near the fees as UPS ground...I avoid them like the plague..

Message 928 of 6,171
latest reply

BYE BYE Ebay it was nice shopping with you, I am done shopping on ebay because of the global shipping program, even if the item does not say its shipped with the global shipping it still ends up with them anyway, shipping x2 and duties on the same item, domestic and international shipping on the same item?? in my opinion whoever owns the GSP is a complete crook and should go to jail for fraud. off to amazon I go, no global shipping bullsh#% there.

I might still sell on ebay if I know that everything I sell and ship doesn't go near the GSP crooks.

Message 929 of 6,171
latest reply

I will never shop on ebay again thanks to the GSP.

Finally got my order today. My package was so beat up that the address had been rubbed off, that is why CanPar couldn't deliver it!

Not to mention that the breakable pottery inside was, of course, broken. Leaving me with no time to replace it before Christmas. There was a note inside that the package had been opened by Pitney Bowes, well they didn't even put the lid back on the protective box (had been taped on) so of course the item came loose and got bashed around.

Guess I learned my lesson about buying things online.

Message 930 of 6,171
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope you filed an dispute with the seller for damaged and get all $$ including shipping costs back??

Message 931 of 6,171
latest reply

I have filed a dispute - will see what happens!

Meanwhile I will have to gift an IOU to my brother as no time to find a replacement!

Sigh.

Message 932 of 6,171
latest reply

@janet4814 wrote:

I will never shop on ebay again thanks to the GSP.

Finally got my order today. My package was so beat up that the address had been rubbed off, that is why CanPar couldn't deliver it!

Not to mention that the breakable pottery inside was, of course, broken. Leaving me with no time to replace it before Christmas. There was a note inside that the package had been opened by Pitney Bowes, well they didn't even put the lid back on the protective box (had been taped on) so of course the item came loose and got bashed around.

Guess I learned my lesson about buying things online.

Thats too bad Janet, i have read about other`s having issues with , there packages being open and not being pack proper..They seem to be doing this alot, and really have to wonder why...All the buying i have did on ebay was and will always be shipped USPS and only once i got a message from Canada post saying the box was damaged and they opened it, but when i got it, everything was fine..

You will find there are people on this web sight that want to protect the GSP, you may have found that already..No matter what you say they will turn it around to take the spotlight off GSP  and put the focus on either the shipper that delivers the package or even the seller..

The fact is GSP is a disaster for ebay buyers wanting to buy from US sellers.I have never used them and never will....I stay away from them and as i said before will even pay more to not use GSP..because there is a good chance,there will be no custom fees, so i may pay more for it but in the end i end up paying less.. and if you do buy from a person using GSP there might be a good chance your package being opened and not repacked proper,and resulting in damaged goods as you found out.. now you have the spend time explaining what you got and submitting a claim, like many other have went through..

Message 933 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

I have read about others having issues with their packages being opened and not being packed properly.  They seem to be doing this a lot, and really have to wonder why...

If by "they" you mean the Global Shipping Centre, wonder no more.  Here's the "official" line from Pitney Bowes:

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

Having said that, we don't know if it really is happening a lot.  We read about it a lot, but not too many people would likely go out of their way to post on an eBay discussion board that their GSP shipment wasn't opened at the Global Shipping Centre.

Message 934 of 6,171
latest reply

slyh92
Community Member

I personally think the GSP thing is just another scam by ebay to introduce another fee with out the Buyer and seller knowing

Message 935 of 6,171
latest reply

portfelt
Community Member

I have a different viewpoint regarding the GSP which apparently no one has voiced to my knowledge. How is it that a foreign corporation can take on the roll of collecting taxes on Canadians within their own country. Not only do they have the so-called authority to levy sales taxes, but they can add on taxes according to their bloated shipping fee structure. If the shoe was on the other foot, no US government would allow such a travesty. It's a matter of sovereignty in my opinion. I have every intention of writing to my federal member of parliament to voice my concerns. That is where the battle should be fought.

Message 936 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

I have read about others having issues with their packages being opened and not being packed properly.  They seem to be doing this a lot, and really have to wonder why...

If by "they" you mean the Global Shipping Centre, wonder no more.  Here's the "official" line from Pitney Bowes:

http://blogs.pb.com/ecommerce/2013/07/17/global-shipping-program-faqs/

Having said that, we don't know if it really is happening a lot.  We read about it a lot, but not too many people would likely go out of their way to post on an eBay discussion board that their GSP shipment wasn't opened at the Global Shipping Centre.

Not a new statement relaease , That statement was made July 17, so since then, there have been far too many people having issues with packages being opened and not repacked property..

When i say this is happening " ALOT"  When somebody has there package opened and not repackage proper, and the item is damaged, that's one too many..

And of course not everybody that has problems with GSP report here or talk about it on U-tube..Only GSP and Ebay would have the correct number of complaints , from buyers, and they would never release the information its against there best interest...

Message 937 of 6,171
latest reply

"I have a different viewpoint regarding the GSP which apparently no one has voiced to my knowledge. How is it that a foreign corporation can take on the roll of collecting taxes on Canadians within their own country. Not only do they have the so-called authority to levy sales taxes, but they can add on taxes according to their bloated shipping fee structure."

In fact that question has been raised before and answered with links to the Canadian government website authorizing foreign entities to register to collect and remit GST/HST. 

It is nothing new and has been done since at least 1991 when GST was introduced as a national consumption tax. Please check earlier post for link.

Message 938 of 6,171
latest reply

I found the link to CRA for you:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4022/rc4022-e.html

Message 939 of 6,171
latest reply

Not only that but they are charging import duties on antique dolls and there are no import duties for antiques into Canada. Remember though, eBay gets commission on all these extra charges. But they are driving the market away. I have lots of friends who are no longer buying on  eBay because of all these charges.

Message 940 of 6,171
latest reply