Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Who is the broker and do they actually remit all these collected charges to the Canadian government

The broker will be someone contracted to PB, at the port of entry, and yes, they will pay the pre collected taxes to the Canadian government. In fact, the Canadian revenue will benefit more than anyone from this shipping method as taxes will be collected that would otherwise have been waived as not worth the expense of collecting. (But still legally due)

Message 1841 of 6,171
latest reply

"even though they're subject to those charges.  And there's no way of getting around that."

Subject to (CBSA) and guaranteed (GSP) are not the same thing.

The threshold may be $20, but in practice, it really is $50-$100. Over $100 you are now gambling against the house.

"no mention is made of Canada Post's ten buck processing charge"

Personally, I'd rather take the chance of occasionally being charged the $10 + duty than paying PBI fess/duties on all my GSP purchases. In the long run, with purchases under $100, Canadian buyers will come out with short end of the stick. You can keep mentioning duties and taxes, but the fact is, we don't end up paying this the majority of the time on smaller purchases.  We just don't.

Message 1842 of 6,171
latest reply

I am not a big buyer , but have noticed recently that the cost of shipping to Canada has gone up so much that I doubt I will buy anything again from the US.

I am completely a novice at Ebay , but I do know when I am being ripped off.

Keith

Message 1843 of 6,171
latest reply

Careful - marnotom will be replying to your post in no time, saying it's your duty to pay taxes and duty...

Message 1844 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@rick31797 wrote:

The person here that ask a US seller to ship USPS instead of GSP, and by dropping the GSP the Seller charged her 50.00 shipping instead of 30.00... What does dropping the GSP have to do with increasing the shipping..I would have told them to shove it.....

As I've pointed out elsewhere, sometimes the GSP works out to be a relatively good deal in the shipping cost department, particularly if the seller offers "free" domestic shipping.

Having said that, the seller may not have chose the best shipping method for the item.  When I had more patience and energy to make requests like that of "ships to: US" sellers, I would specifically stated the shipping method I was interested in, i.e. First Class International.  Some sellers aren't aware that at four pounds, the weight limit for First Class International is considerably higher than domestic First Class.

@rick31797 wrote:

I just ask a seller if he would drop the GSP, he said this ..

Thank you for your question. We only use the Global Shipping Program for
international shipments. If you know someone in the US you can change the
Ship To address and it will be a domestic shipment and then they can ship
it to you. We do appreciate your interest.

Does this surprise you?

As I've pointed out elsewhere, sometimes the GSP works out to be a relatively good deal in the shipping cost department, particularly if the seller offers "free" domestic shipping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not when you ask a us seller to ship USPS , and they tell you yes but only if i raise the shipping price 30.00 ..

that's not a good deal, and what good is free domestic shipping to  a Canadian buyer..

Message 1845 of 6,171
latest reply

Well, you can pay the government before shipping or you can pay them on your doorstep. Your choice.

Message 1846 of 6,171
latest reply

W H Y????????????.

WHY IS IT THAT WHEN YOU BUY A ITEM (DIE CAST CAR ) FOR $18.00  AND THE SHIPPING COST BY THE SELLER IS ($59.00) ) and a GLOBAL SHIPPING COST IS ( $18.00 ) and then they add another ( INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COST $10.00 .AND THIS IS BEFORE THEY DO THE EXCHANGE RATE... THIS MEANS THAT YOUR ITEM YOU PAID $18.00 FOR IS NOW  COSTING ME $105.00  US  and in Canadian funds about $112.00 or so depending on the cost of the Canadian dollar at that time... WHY WOULD I WANT TO BUY THIS ITEM ON E BAY AT THAT PRICE. I  AM BUYING NOW IN CANADA AND EUROPE CHINA  ECT. DIRECT AT A 1/3 OFF THE COST OF E BAY. THE OTHER SELLERS I GET FREE  SHIPPING COST TO ME. IF THE SELLERS DON'T GET RID OF THAT PRICE SYSTEM ON E BAY WITH THIS GLOBAL/INTERNATIONAL  SHIPPING COSTS THEY WON'T HAVE MANY IF ANY BUYERS FROM CANADA, AS IT BE TO EXPENSIVE.. AND YES I MAY CANCEL MY ACCOUNT ON E BAY AS OF THESE COSTS. I HAVE BOUGHT A LOT OF ITEMS ON E BAY AND THE SELLERS ARE VERY HAPPY WITH ME, HOW MANY MORE BUYERS LIKE ME WILL LEAVE E BAY????. IT IS TO BAD AS I HAVE BEEN WITH E BAY A VERY LONG TIME AND THERE ARE SOME GREAT SELLERS ON E BAY WHO UNDERSTANDS ABOUT THESE COSTS.

------------------------------------ A   VERY   UNHAPPY   BUYER    ON   E  BAY  -------------------------------------------

Message 1847 of 6,171
latest reply

W H Y ?????

Why indeed would you buy such item?

American sellers should know better than list those low priced items through GSP.

Message 1848 of 6,171
latest reply

CANCEL--------CANCEL----------CANCEL------  THESE MONEY GRABS FROM THE CANADIAN BUYERS

Message 1849 of 6,171
latest reply

I would gladly pay the duty and tax at the doorstep. This global shipping thing is not based on the value of the item at all. Taxes and duty are.

Message 1850 of 6,171
latest reply

CANCEL--------CANCEL----------CANCEL------  THESE MONEY GRABS FROM THE CANADIAN BUYERS  GLOBAL SHIPPING AND THE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COSTS WITH THESE TAXES AS WELL... JUST PAY LIKE WE DID BEFORE SHIPPING COSTS BUY THE E BAY SELLER... IF NOT THE E BAY  SELLER WILL GO BANKRUPT FAST AS OF NO CANADIAN BUYERS (WHO ARE THE BIGGEST BUYERS ON E BAY......

Message 1851 of 6,171
latest reply

I also wont buy from sellers using gsp,i like buying pure silver and gold bars coins ect,but with the gsp there is also duty in most cases of 7.00 why do i avoid these sellers? for one thing there is no duty or taxes of any kind on pure bullion precious metal,s,also the shipping has doubled from these sellars, 29.00 us fore shipping and duty,thats crazy for a 30.00 coin,must hurt US sellers ,as i wont pay along  with most canadians. the good news is there are a few sellers that charge only about 7-8 shipping with tracking no gsp..totally safe my hat goes off to the few good US sellers out there

Message 1852 of 6,171
latest reply

"CANADIAN BUYERS (WHO ARE THE BIGGEST BUYERS ON E BAY......"

Here we go again.  Did we not cover the same nonsense a few weeks ago?

Canadian buyers account for less than 3% of all eBay transactions. We are certainly not the biggest. 

You do not like GSP.  I get that.  Like you, most Canadians do not. I do not. But keep your comments factual or they simply lose any credibility. Canadian buyers who do not wish to use GSP should either hit the "back" button and find another seller who will ship directly or contact the seller and ask if he/she will ship directly to a Canadian buyer.  Many will agree to do so.  It is relatively easy for an American seller not to Include Canada in the program if the seller so desires.

Message 1853 of 6,171
latest reply

The OP has been ranting about this for well over a month. Is it all one transaction? Or is he just a slow learner?

Message 1854 of 6,171
latest reply

HERE IS A GREAT SOLUTION????... REMEMBER WHEN E BAY WAS THE AND I MEAN THE #1 PLACE TO BUY ITEMS AT A GREAT PRICE???? WHERE DID THIS GO???? NOW IT SEEMS IT IS JUST BIG MONEY CASH GRAB FROM ALL THE BUYERS .WHY IS THAT E BAY. E BAY WAS OK THE WAY IT WAS IT IS NOT THE PUBLICS FAULT THAT THE WORLD (USA ) IS IN SUCH A MONEY PROBLEM THAT IS NOT MY FAULT, WHY SHOULD I OR ANYONE ELSE TRY TO BAIL OUT YOUR DEBT. AS I SAID  GET RID  OFF   THIS   GLOBAL/INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COSTS TO THE BUYERS AND MAYBE WITH LUCK WE ALL (SELLERS BUYERS) HERE IN CANADA MAY COME BACK TO E BAY AGAIN WHEN YOU TREAT US WITH BETTER RESPECT NOT JUST FOR OUR MONEY.

------------------------------- Patrick the Loner ----------------------------------------

Message 1855 of 6,171
latest reply

Is it just that this is all in CAPS that is seems incoherent? Or is it really incoherent?

Message 1856 of 6,171
latest reply

"Is it all one transaction?"

I do not know but, based on feedback, one transaction involving many items from a seller who does not use GSP.

Message 1857 of 6,171
latest reply

It's caps , because he is yelling. And no one is listening.

I understand his frustration completely.

Keith

Message 1858 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"CANADIAN BUYERS (WHO ARE THE BIGGEST BUYERS ON E BAY......"

Here we go again.  Did we not cover the same nonsense a few weeks ago?

Canadian buyers account for less than 3% of all eBay transactions. We are certainly not the biggest. 

You do not like GSP.  I get that.  Like you, most Canadians do not. I do not. But keep your comments factual or they simply lose any credibility. Canadian buyers who do not wish to use GSP should either hit the "back" button and find another seller who will ship directly or contact the seller and ask if he/she will ship directly to a Canadian buyer.  Many will agree to do so.  It is relatively easy for an American seller not to Include Canada in the program if the seller so desires.

Dont forget to add you don't like GSP either, and as to many willing to ship to Canada regardless having GSP listed in there auction, i would not say many, i contacted 10 sellers and 4 would, 6 would not..

If your buyer that buys alot of the same items, then you have a good chance of finding a good seller will to ship USPS. but not by random items...

Message 1859 of 6,171
latest reply

@rick31797 wrote:

The person here that ask a US seller to ship USPS instead of GSP, and by dropping the GSP the Seller charged her 50.00 shipping instead of 30.00... What does dropping the GSP have to do with increasing the shipping..I would have told them to shove it.....

PB gets bulk shipping discounts so when they ship an item they pay a totally different price then an individual seller so it is not unusual that the shipping price would change. In some cases the shipping price might go down...especially if the seller uses USPS first class but there are times when the price can go up...especially for heavier items.
Message 1860 of 6,171
latest reply