Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: The Global Shipping Program IMPORT CHARGES ridiculously high

"the seller does not have the country of origin listed in the item specifics so the gsp system has no way of knowing that it was made in a NAFTA country"

NOT REQUIRED on all items [see below] 

Based on "Casual Goods" [clause below] the GSP terms & condition's requirement to provide proof of origin and the collection of duty on qualified items would be a violation of  NAFTA.  

Casual Goods

31. Subsections 6(3) (NAFTA, CCFTA and CCRFTA) and 10(3) (CIFTA) of the Proof of Origin of Imported Goods Regulations provides that casual goods acquired in a free trade territory are exempt from the proof of origin requirements outlined in this Memorandum, where the casual goods are entitled to the benefit of a preferential tariff treatment pursuant to the appropriate Rules of Origin for Casual Goods Regulations. The origin of casual goods is based on the marking of the goods.

32. Casual goods may be goods accompanying an importer or traveller arriving in Canada, or they may be parcels addressed to individual recipients in Canada, provided they meet the definition of casual goods set out in regulations. Such goods are not intended for sale or for any industrial, occupational, commercial, institutional, or other like use. Further information respecting the entitlement of casual goods to the preferential tariff treatments under a free trade agreement, can be found inMemorandum D11-4-13, Rules of Origin for Casual Goods Regulations.

Message 2881 of 6,171
latest reply

Casual goods may be goods accompanying an importer or traveller arriving in Canada, or they may be parcels addressed to individual recipients in Canada, provided they meet the definition of casual goods set out in regulations.

GSP goods are not imported in a way that could qualify them as 'casual goods'.  The same problem occours with GSP imports to New Zealand where they lose the personal import exemption.

They are not parcels addressed to individual recipients in Canada, when imported they are consigned to PB Inc.  The eventual recipient is not the importer or record.

Many apparent anomolies are due to the handing of GSP imports as commercial freight, not postal or courier delivered individual purchases.

Message 2882 of 6,171
latest reply

This Global Shipping Program will certainly curtail Me from Buying Items on EBAY.

Message 2883 of 6,171
latest reply

casual goods acquired in a free trade territory are exempt from the proof of origin requirements outlined in this Memorandum,

I suspect that the memorandum they are referring to is detailed paperwork showing proof that the item and its components were manufactured in a NAFTA zone...not just a line in item specifics saying where the item is from. So basically, if the item is not for commercial use.."a casual good".... then the paperwork is not necessary. But is certainly not a 'violation of NAFTA' for PB to need to know where an item was made in order to know that it is duty free....how else would they know? 

To summarize..I think that if I was importing a good for commercial use, their is a specific form that would have to be filled out proving the imports are of NAFTA origins. But if the import is for personal use, the requirements are much less stringent.

Message 2884 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Casual goods may be goods accompanying an importer or traveller arriving in Canada, or they may be parcels addressed to individual recipients in Canada, provided they meet the definition of casual goods set out in regulations.

GSP goods are not imported in a way that could qualify them as 'casual goods'.  The same problem occours with GSP imports to New Zealand where they lose the personal import exemption.

They are not parcels addressed to individual recipients in Canada, when imported they are consigned to PB Inc.  The eventual recipient is not the importer or record.

Many apparent anomolies are due to the handing of GSP imports as commercial freight, not postal or courier delivered individual purchases.

I doubt that has anything to do with this situation. If you look at two identical items on ebay and one has the USA as country of origin and the other does not state a country of origin, the latter will have higher import fees because PB does not know that it is a NAFTA product.

Message 2885 of 6,171
latest reply

The oil listing is still using the gsp but the seller has the same item listed as an auction and has first class international on that one,

Hmm...I double checked last night that it was still set up as a gsp listing but this morning it has changed and the seller is using first class international. Marnotom must be a mind reader.

Message 2886 of 6,171
latest reply

"Casual goods may be goods accompanying an importer" 

Is GSP/PB not the importer?

"GSP goods are not imported in a way that could qualify them as 'casual goods'. "

Following that line, all NAFTA items would be subject to duty and/or the CBSA Importation Non-Commercial Goods by Mail [20$ or less] would also be dutiable.  Yet some GSP listed item under 20$ are shown as zero import charge... its ok here but not there.

Message 2887 of 6,171
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

"GSP goods are not imported in a way that could qualify them as 'casual goods'. "

Following that line, all NAFTA items would be subject to duty and/or the CBSA Importation Non-Commercial Goods by Mail [20$ or less] would also be dutiable.  

What do you mean "all NAFTA items would be subject to duty"?  Isn't a non-dutiable item exempt from duty whether it's commercially imported or a casual import?

Message 2888 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm being overcharged for shipping by sellers using the GSP and also I received a pkg that was sliced open and eBay tape put on over the slice, but the item was damaged as the slice went through the packaging......not impressed will stop buying from US buyers using this program now...
Message 2889 of 6,171
latest reply

"exempt from duty whether it's commercially imported"

Here we go again.

GSP listed items are meant for non-commercial use, so why bring up duty of commercial imports.

Message 2890 of 6,171
latest reply

@sparky_969 wrote:
I'm being overcharged for shipping by sellers using the GSP and also I received a pkg that was sliced open and eBay tape put on over the slice, but the item was damaged as the slice went through the packaging......not impressed will stop buying from US buyers using this program now...

You could likely make a "not as described" claim to get a refund.
Message 2891 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi sparky_969.

With a GSP transaction the seller sets the item price, and charges whatever he/she chooses for domestic shipping. The rest of the charges are GSP Program Fees, and those are determined by eBay / Pitney Bowes. 

As suggested elsewhere in this thread, you should definitely open a case for the damaged item. With the GSP the seller's responsibility is to get the item to the US Shipping Center; eBay / Pitney Bowes takes it from there. Which means that if an item is damaged during international transit it is the responsibility of eBay / Pitney Bowes to make things right. 

If you would like me to look into your transaction from this end please feel free to send me a Private Message. Include transaction #, item #, + eBay user id and email address you used in the transaction. 

Thanks.

---Bennett

Message 2892 of 6,171
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

Here we go again.

GSP listed items are meant for non-commercial use, so why bring up duty of commercial imports.

How did you come up with the notion that all NAFTA items should be subject to duty?

Message 2893 of 6,171
latest reply

Nothing has worked well with the GSP when buying from the US.  Canada Post rarely charges anything on items purchased in

the US.  I have ordered $200 items and not been charged any extra.  Granted once in a while they will get you but not often.

Is there any way for a US seller to bypass the GSP when offering items for sale.  It doesn't seem to me to be a very good way

to ship.  I know I have friends who will not buy from US sellers because of this.  It is just too much of a hassle.  I have done a lot

of shopping on eBay and would like to continue to do so but I am now limited to sellers who do not use this program.  I have missed

a number of items because of this.  GSP just makes it too expensive to buy from US sellers and it is very disappointing.  I hope

something can be done as I love shopping with US sellers as there are many items we don't have in Canada.

Thanks so much.  Linda

Message 2894 of 6,171
latest reply

"How did you come up with the notion that all NAFTA items should be subject to duty?"

Take a look at any GSP listed item, if that item qualifies as an NAFTA item, does it not also show

a import charge.  Along with other miscellaneous charges the import charge includes duty.

Then it follows that all GSP, NAFTA items are charged a duty.

See GSP terms & conditions: 

Message 2895 of 6,171
latest reply

@mwc1942 wrote:

"How did you come up with the notion that all NAFTA items should be subject to duty?"

Take a look at any GSP listed item, if that item qualifies as an NAFTA item, does it not also show

a import charge.  Along with other miscellaneous charges the import charge includes duty.

See GSP terms & conditions: 

I'm looking at this US$1049 item and have set the postal code to an Ontario one, so the item would be subject to 13% HST:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201037184866

The import charges I see are US$146.52.  The item would be subject to US$136.37 in Ontario HST.  Subtract that charge from the import charges and that leaves US$10.15 to go towards various processing fees and for Pitney Bowes and eBay to go wild on the town.   For an item of that value, that ten bucks is certainly not going toward duty.

I changed the postal code to a BC postal code.  GSP items appear to be charged only GST when purchased by someone in BC.  The import charges are $62.60, GST would be $52.45, leaving that same $10.15 that's not going toward duty.

Message 2896 of 6,171
latest reply

Along with other miscellaneous charges the import charge includes duty.

No. The miscellaneous charges MAY include duty. Even some items from, say, China or the UK, are not dutiable and are not charged duty.

Message 2897 of 6,171
latest reply

"for Pitney Bowes and eBay to go wild on the town"

When your right, your right

Up front let me say that I did not confirm your example of the Ontario 13% HST.  However in the example of BC appears to be confirmed by what happens here in Alberta, using your example and based on that your right and I'm wrong.  That said I'm not sure how that would play out on other items and it would be very interesting [although very difficult to do] to have that verified by someone that actual purchased a like item.  Did the price remain the same at payment time or any problems with extra duty on delivery etc.

An interesting thing I found [besides my error] is the the import charge on your example was within pennies of the 6% duty rate for that item. Checked 2 other items, your example site confirmed, same for item listed as made in USA.  

Compare your example to those from item below.  Note buy it now price, deduct gst, compare what PB make on each. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181390136128

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Message 2898 of 6,171
latest reply

"No. The miscellaneous charges MAY include duty. Even some items from, say, China or the UK, are not dutiable and are not charged duty."

"MAY" would have been a better choice on my part.  I was referring to NAFTA items but you could very well be right.

Between you and marnotom!,  I sure got hammered hard today.

Message 2899 of 6,171
latest reply

Here are 2 more examples of ridiculous import charges:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-DIESEL-Mens-Vintage-boot-cut-Jeans-ZATINY-73N-Dark-blue-Denim-30-L-/2312...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mens-Diesel-Zatiny-73N-Dark-Blue-Boot-Cut-Jeans-Trousers-/141151961537?p...

In the first auction I am getting a shipping quote of $11.49 and import charges of $59.53 to Manitoba on a US $169.99 item.

In the second auction I am getting a shipping quote of $11.37 and import charges of $55.44 to Manitoba on a US $157.50 item.

It also appears that both sellers are unaware that they are participating in the GSP as both descriptions state USPS shipping to international locations.

Message 2900 of 6,171
latest reply