Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

ebay Global Shipping Program SCAM! Now ebay can rip you off like the couriers!

"....So whatever"

Where do I go  to have an adult discussion?  Do I need to stick with British for that too?

Message 3281 of 6,171
latest reply

"Where do I go  to have an adult discussion?"

Can't speak for everyone but when I want an intelligent conversation I talk to myself, after all who best understands me.

Happy June 1st, everyone.

Message 3282 of 6,171
latest reply

Open question to start June with:  Shipping charges by "GSP"

Can any one explain how an item being about 6 inches long x 1 1/4 inches diameter and weighing in at. 2.5 ounces warrants a GSP shipping charge of $44.38.  Shipping is from Kentucky to Alberta.

View eBay item;

Message 3283 of 6,171
latest reply

It is possible the seller has supplied no information at all about the size and weight of the item, or information supplied is completely wrong.

The problem is a lack of understanding or discipline about the way items are listed.

The seller's US shipping method is a flat rate envelope.

Message 3284 of 6,171
latest reply

"It is possible the seller has supplied no information at all about the size and weight of the item, or information supplied is completely wrong."

It must be something like that but you'd think that common sense would sometimes prevail.  The same seller has Civil War buttons listed .... yep, about the same shipping rate, really $40.00 plus to ship a button.  Someone is either out to lunch or else someone turned off the light switch at eBay or PB, really $44.38 to ship a button. 

The outrageous shipping charge was pointed out to the seller but the reply was basically it's eBay fault.  So now when it comes to the shipping rate we have eBay, PB and Sellers pointing finger at each other and in the meantime another bidder or two falls to the wayside.

How can a bidder question eBay or PB about these ridiculous shipping charges or is eBay even worth the trouble any more?

Message 3285 of 6,171
latest reply

Here's a suggestion. Under the sort  button, have an option that filters out Global Shipping Program listings.

Message 3286 of 6,171
latest reply

This is the most disgusting form of theft I have seen yet. I have shopped on Ebay for years. I ordered 2 products that totalled $18.82 I checked out like normal with Paypal and thought everything was fine. When I looked at my online banking there were 4 transactions taken out of my bank account. Upon further investigation I found that 2 of the charges were to a company called Pitney Bowes Inc. and it was "import charges" from this global shipping program. Here is the kicker, not only was I not informed and the money was just stolen from my bank account BUT these import charges were $26.41 for the $18 worth of stuff that I bought. That is blatant robbery and I am thoroughly disgusted. I will make sure to read every little bit of fine print on the auction ads from now on and that is IF...IF I ever use Ebay again.

Message 3287 of 6,171
latest reply

jimboinlimbo wrote:

Here's a suggestion. Under the sort  button, have an option that filters out Global Shipping Program listings.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am pretty sure that was suggested months ago but as you can see it was never implemented since it would give buyers a method to  make purchases not using the GSP and rob eBay and PBI the chance to further fleece international and especially Canadian buyers of additional funds. EBay and PBI's lack of real action to resolve the many problems with the GSP show how really important they feel their international buyers are. As the saying goes, money talks and you know what walks and as long as eBay and PBI can make money on this nothing will change for Canadian and International buyers.

Message 3288 of 6,171
latest reply

@surfingjennie1965 wrote:

"....So whatever"

Where do I go  to have an adult discussion?  Do I need to stick with British for that too?

The poster probably missed that you are from the UK. We get very few UK buyers or sellers on the Canadian boards.

Message 3289 of 6,171
latest reply

@jimboinlimbo wrote:

I'm sure we'd all love to see that. But I'm also sure that considering how much eBay has been pushing this program, pigs will fly before we get such a filter.

There is a way to filter out GSP listings: conduct your searches using "list view" rather than "gallery view".  Any GSP listing will have a blurb that reads: "Customs services and international tracking provided". Simply ignore those listings and only click on the ones which do not have the blurb.

That is the only filter we have at the moment. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't get taken away from us!

Message 3290 of 6,171
latest reply

I have bought several thousands of dollars of merchandise from the U.S. on eBay. I live in Canada. I went to buy a 1963 Topps baseball starter set ( eBay listing # 360943670539) last night on eBay for $635.00 U.S.. The Global Shipping SCAM that you introduced on eBay changed my mind from doing so. An additional $90.00 U.S;  for what?  In case you didn't know, border import charges have been relaxed for goods coming into Canada. I can go shopping in Michigan, little or no tax, no duty.  I will never buy eBay items from the U.S. again. You people at eBay will not be happy until you drive this eBay company into the ground. Check your bottom line while you have this SCAM in operation, guaranteed reduced  and will continue to do so. Canadians do a lot of U.S. business with the U.S.  thru eBay. You have lost my business last night and from here and every day forward. Good Luck!

Message 3291 of 6,171
latest reply

Why not ask the seller to relist without the GSP?

Message 3292 of 6,171
latest reply

"An additional $90.00 U.S;  for what?"

Most of the $90 would be for HST (13%) since you live in Ontario.

Considering your substantial number of transactions and value of the items you sell, are you not registered with GST/HST? 

If so you could get all that GST/HST you have paid on your purchases (and business related expenses) refunded (Input Tax Credit) by the federal government.

Message 3293 of 6,171
latest reply

pierrelebel wrote:

Most of the $90 would be for HST (13%) since you live in Ontario.

Considering your substantial number of transactions and value of the items you sell, are you not registered with GST/HST? 

If so you could get all that GST/HST you have paid on your purchases (and business related expenses) refunded (Input Tax Credit) by the federal government.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That would be a good idea but last I heard PBI was not giving any CRA recognized receipts to buyers giving a breakdown of taxes etc. as it is their contention that they do not actually pay any of that so are not required to issue a receipt for that breakdown. Their T&C  statement says that since the GSP is not to be used for business purchases and is for personal purchases or words to that effect which means they feel they are again not required to issue a receipt. Another unresolved problem with this program as any buyer with an ounce of common sense would love to see a breakdown of what exactly the import fees are paying for.

Message 3294 of 6,171
latest reply

I have bought several thousands of dollars of merchandise from the U.S. on eBay. I live in Canada. I went to buy a 1963 Topps baseball starter set ( eBay listing # 360943670539) last night on eBay for $635.00 U.S.. The Global Shipping SCAM  introduced on eBay changed my mind from doing so. An additional $90.00 U.S;  for what?  In case you didn't know, border import charges have been relaxed for goods coming into Canada..  I will never buy from the U.S. sellers using GSP again. Ebay will not be happy until  this eBay company is driven into the ground. eBay and U.S. sellers using GSP, you lost my business last night and from here and every day forward. Good Luck!.

Message 3295 of 6,171
latest reply

"but last I heard PBI was not giving any CRA recognized receipts to buyers giving a breakdown of taxes etc"

That will not prevent a GST/HST registered seller from claiming Input Tax Credit.

When preparing the Purchase or Expense schedules, a seller can calculate the amount that was included in the charges from PB.

For example, if the purchase was $600 and PB charged $85 in "import charges", $78 could be claimed as ITC ($600*13%) if you live in Ontario and the rest ($7) accounted for as part of the cost of goods (brokerage or handling fee).

Of course it would be preferable if eBay/PayPal/Pitney-Bowes would provide a breakdown of all charges but, it is not really necessary for the purpose of claiming ITCs.

Message 3296 of 6,171
latest reply

As Pierre mentioned that $90 would be for hst. Although Canada customs does not charge tax/duty for all items shipped across the border, they usually do assess high value packages. When you physically cross the border and shop in another state the dollar value of your allowable duty free/ tax free items is much higher than if the item is shipped to you.

Message 3297 of 6,171
latest reply

ajm-1
Community Member

I just got dinged for double shipping for buying used boots with the ebay GSP scam! Dammit

The double cost stays hidden until you bid and checkout, then wham...double. Once to ship inside US and again to ship out of the US.

The seller doesn't even know this is happening; they have to choose to opt out at listing otherwise buyers will get screwed. It seems ebay has learned from the courier companies similar scams. Ebay has hired Pitney Bowes to rip us off on their behalf.

My recommendation..if you see the Global Shipping Program in the listing..do not bid. You are only going to get ripped off. Ebay even prevents the seller from withdrawing the scam shipping option. They do this in case the buy catches on and lets the seller know about this scam. The only recourse is to cancel the transaction and complete the sale outside of ebay.

**bleep**s!!

Message 3298 of 6,171
latest reply

It happened to me when I bougt a paire of shoes from CA, US.I paid two separate shipping fees...

The seller told me that he was not aware of this.

Message 3299 of 6,171
latest reply

Would have cost you more if they were mailed and went through customs.

Would have cost a lot more if sent by UPS

Message 3300 of 6,171
latest reply