Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

@afantiques wrote:

Not a reply but a comment.

Today I noticed that the confusing 'International Priority Shipping' has been changed to 'Tracked International Shipping'.

Which is slightly good, but the bad part is that the tell tale 'Customs services, etc' line that enabled easy avoidance of GSP items has vanished from List View of items.

I almost had a heart attack when I read that last paragraph! That "Customs services" tag is just about the only thing that is preventing at least some (and I suspect many) international buyers from leaving eBay altogether.

So I searched for "coffee maker" on the US, Canadian and UK sites, and saw the blurb on all three.  And I still see "International priority shipping" (or whatever fancy name they give it). Maybe what you see depends on where you are located?

One thing is for sure; eBay is totally determined to ram the GSP down the throats of unwilling international buyers. When all else fails, remember that every computer still comes equipped with a handy back button. Fortunately!

Message 3781 of 6,171
latest reply

I had the same reaction when I read af's post but I still see the line as well. The format does seem to have changed though so it might not be as noticeable in some cases.

Message 3782 of 6,171
latest reply

I saw it when I looked at items from a seller I was curious about.

That might have made the difference.

Message 3783 of 6,171
latest reply

I all can say is that most of my items are under $400 from the US and are used. I have bought a couple of dozen items from $1500-$12000. but the last few items. I like shopping the US Ebay because in has such a large selection. I have noticed lately that the last few items I have purchased have about 20%+ increase in total cost with GSP over just strait USPS costs over the years.

On top of that, the last couple of Items that Pitny Bowes  opened and inspected they damaged or did not repack properly. One item they cut a 8" hole right thew the middle of the newly purchased USPS shipping box the seller packed it in and happened to also cut right threw the original retail box of the collectors item that was inside the USPS box to see what was inside and then put their  letter in and used Pitny Bowes packing tape to seal the USPS box Instead of opening the box at the well glued ends that USPS uses. I have only seen this item ONCE IN 10 YEARS and now it is damage!!!!!!!!!!! loosing value. That just blows the hole idea buying a collectors item in the original box.

Another was a New Old Stock  set of car audio speakers for around $300, the seller wrapped each component of the set with bubble wrap and clear packing tape (I could see this when I opened it). Then spaced everything up with bubble wrap inside the double shipping box, you could not ask for any thing more.  When Pitny Bowes inspected the items in the shipping box, they cut open each separately wrapped item and did not repack them in the packets the seller made for them. Pitny Bowes then just jammed everything back in the box and put their  letter and tape on the out side of the box.  When it showed up at my house, one of the X-cross overs clear covers was damaged. I could see in the auction that the x-cross overs where in mint shape. Then I asked the seller and he said he wrapped them and then taped them piece by piece and everything was in new perfect condition.

I have seen nothing good about the GSP  for me as a buyer,  It's just a company with the USP price but with really bad service.  I have lately been shopping a lot more on other sights now because they are a better deal and spending a lot less time on Ebay because of this stuff.

Message 3784 of 6,171
latest reply

Same thing has happened to me packed in a new USPS shipping box. With Pitney Bowes packing tape over the 8" hole they cut with a notice inside. For some reason they could not figure out how to open the box from the ends. Plus another package the did not repack properly as the seller did and just jammed everything back in and got damaged. They left a letter and their tape on the opening they made. They charge USP customs and brokerage paper work prices but with real **bleep**py service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 3785 of 6,171
latest reply

paulswo
Community Member

I am sure this has been posted before but, I'm going to post it again. I am also sure ebay.ca is not going to read this as well.

Why not add a search parameter to the advanced search that will weed out sellers using the GSP?  It would be a hell of a lot easier than checking all the listings individually for seller that don't use it.

Just a thought.

Message 3786 of 6,171
latest reply

'Same thing has happened to me ' What same thing? Were you trying to respond to someone else's post? Click on Comment or Answer in that post.
**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 3787 of 6,171
latest reply

grosbuck
Community Member

I am living through my first GSP experience. Never again. The items are untrackable after they leave KY. I spoke directly with Pitney bows about my package and they were no help. The delivery dates are flexible within a week, the csr just said that the package could be delayed an extra 5 days, no reason given, and they did not know which carrier was going to deliver it to my dooR. The csr said that it was customs that made the decision on which carrier was going to be chosen and until then could not help in the delivery time frame.

This is unbelievable to get this type of service, or no service what so ever. 

Message 3788 of 6,171
latest reply

Do US sellers realize that they are losing sales and bidders with this Global Shipping that they insist on using? Wheres the sense in selling Hockey cards or Hockey sticks & skates to only US buyers that don't use or buy them? Why would you cut off the major part of your target customers? It's the Canadian market that buys these items not people in Florida, not people Texas and only a small percent of bidders from the Northern States by these types of things.So again I ask why would you cut off the targeted customers? It not only drops the values that have already been dropped by greedy sellers that under cut a baseline price that's already set by cutting off the very bidders that will drive the price up. This all makes about much sense as wiping your butt before you go to the toilet.

Message 3789 of 6,171
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately they are not bright as they don't know that there is a fantastic deal with E-Delcon via eBay Shipping with offers for reasonable postage rates with tracking number, much cheaper than GSP.  Most of them don't know about E-Delcon which was posted in eBay's announcement dated January 24, 2013.  It is nearly 2 years, yet they don't know about this fantastic deal!!

They claimed that they don't know how to ship outside and thought GSP is a good deal!!   I mean as if, they don't know how to ship them to Canada when in fact, their post offices to ship them worldwide?!  AS IF!!

I had to "educate" some US sellers about the deal and they were shocked and just love it and switched it to E-Delcon, no more GSP.  It seems that we have to "educate" more US sellers.

It seems to me that eBay harped too much about  GSP to US sellers than about E-Delcon.  It must be something about GSP that eBay just love it, possible because eBay is getting lots of $$$$ for final value fees on the hefty shipping cost via GSP.

Another sample about US sellers being not that bright is that they don't know they can use their monthly 100/100 or 500/500 or 2500/2500 on both sites for FREE!!  I can use my 500 monthly free listings on eBay.ca and another 500 monthly free listings on eBay.com.  One of my friends in US was shocked that she can have another 100 free monthly listings on eBay.ca as well as 100 on eBay.com.

That is US sellers for you!

Message 3790 of 6,171
latest reply

On top of that, the last couple of Items that Pitny Bowes  opened and inspected they damaged or did not repack properly. One item they cut a 8" hole right through the middle of the newly purchased USPS shipping box the seller packed it in and happened to also cut right through the original retail box of the collectors item that was inside the USPS box to see what was inside and then put their  letter in and used Pitny Bowes packing tape to seal the USPS box Instead of opening the box at the well glued ends that USPS uses. I have only seen this item ONCE IN 10 YEARS and now it is damage!!!!!!!!!!! loosing value. That just blows the whole idea buying a collectors item in the original box.

WELCOME  any damaged in transit items. All you have to do is make a Paypal claim for item not as described, damaged in transit, and you will get a full refund and keep the item, which mus usually have some value.  The seller will also keep their money for the item.

The more people who do the claims process for any items damaged on arrival, the sooner the GSP will either sharpen up on packing or abandon the whole idea.

Message 3791 of 6,171
latest reply

Bummer - twice this week I've had US sellers reject my request to use USPS instead of the GSP. Oh well, I don't need the stuff and I guess they don't need me to buy it...but I'll still keep those requests going, because many of my purchases were originally listed as GSP items. I think it's better to ask and be denied, than to skim over the items with GSP in their listings. Maybe our Canadian purchases don't amount to much, but those individual sales do matter to some sellers. I don't think they know how badly the GSP sucks, so contacting them before bidding is usually worth it. 

Message 3792 of 6,171
latest reply

Agree totally.  I won't even bother with a seller anymore who uses the G.S.P.  I hope Americans who refuse to just use the USPS loose business over this.  I'm just keeping more of my money in Canada now.  Thanks Ebay, from all of us **bleep** off Canadians.  And yes, we are quite capable of getting **bleep** off/mad.  Not all of us are the pushovers you believe us to be.

Message 3793 of 6,171
latest reply

Be careful what you ask a US seller too. I wrote one about an auto part for our 95 Mustang. I asked if they could use the USPS, and NOT Global Shipping because we are being charged fees that sometimes would not have to be paid if the item were shipped directly from the seller and marked at the value paid, or as a gift. Now, I was NOT asking the seller to mark the item as a gift. I simply stated a fact, same as many people jump out of airplanes for fun. Me saying that does not mean I am asking any of you to jump out of an air plane, right?

Anyway, this "seller" reported me to ebay, and ebay actually had the gall to warn me about it? Honestly, even with the wording that I used, you should not in any way expect that I was asking anything illegal to be done! Not only that, it made me feel as though ebay, and this seller, automatically assumed me to be a criminal because I wanted to save money & time! Am I being punished because I don't want to use their super duper awesome GSP? (Sarcasm). Yes, I think so! I have been a user on ebay since the first year ebay came out. (Not with this account, I used to buy from a partnered account in the past, until I realized it was much better to have my own,and with my new address, etc etc.) This particular seller is only on ebay since January of this year.

So, be careful my international friends. If you ask about a different shipping method, you will automatically be branded a criminal by cranky sellers, and by Ebay. If I am allowed to post the content of my message to that seller, or that sellers ID, please let me know, and I will. If not, I will err on the side of caution.

You'd think ebay would have asked me what I meant, or even given me the benefit of the doubt, considering that I have a clean track record, and impeccable feedback. Perhaps I was simply being scolded for not wanting to use GSP. Anyway, from now on, I will use other sites for my purchasing needs, and never come to ebay again, once I have settled up with the few items I am waiting to receive. My leaving might not be noticed by ebay, but I'm fairly certain I spent thousands on ebay, and many other international buyers have of course done the same, and more.

Thanks for a disgustingly horrible experience ebay bullies.

Anyone with recommendations for a site that does not treat it's users like criminals, please message me privately. I am now looking to spend my online shopping budget elsewhere.

Message 3794 of 6,171
latest reply

"If you ask about a different shipping method, you will automatically be branded a criminal by cranky sellers, "

I do not see it that way.

There is nothing wrong asking a seller if he is willing to ship directly through USPS instead of using GSP.

By suggesting "mark as gift" is what caused the problem.  Your intent may not have been to suggest marking as "gift" but that should simply not have been mentioned. It is against eBay policy.  Period.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html

"Note: It's illegal to falsify customs declarations or mark an item as a "gift" in order to avoid customs fees. If a buyer asks you to commit customs fraud, report it to us.>

Message 3795 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, for the clarification. I am fully aware of what is, and what is NOT allowed. Though sincerely, thank you for clarifying. I chose the wrong words, simple as that. Like I said, mentioning something happens, does not mean I am asking someone to do it. My point was that in no way did I ask this seller to mark anything as a gift. I simply asked them if it were possible to use a shipping method other than GSP. All they had to do, was say no.

Again, to clarify I DID NOT ASK THE SELLER TO COMMIT CUSTOMS FRAUD! I would never ever do that!!!!!!!!! For gosh sakes, the wrong words were used. I guess I should stop talking about wanting to buy a new car, lest every seller in the universe thinks that means I actually want one from them, or that I am asking them to actually bring me one.

Message 3796 of 6,171
latest reply

ETA: I am just disappointed in ebay. You would think that after all this time, and my great history, that it would count for something. I'm not perfect, but I'm certainly not running around trying to commit customs fraud either, and certainly not over $10!!! I just didn't want to pay more for the shipping and fees than for the item itself. I am not just buying things on ebay to get them cheaper, sometimes these items are not available where I live. I guess I will shop on the competitors sites from now on.

Message 3797 of 6,171
latest reply

@mickeypowpow wrote:

ETA: I am just disappointed in ebay. You would think that after all this time, and my great history, that it would count for something. I'm not perfect, but I'm certainly not running around trying to commit customs fraud either, and certainly not over $10!!! I just didn't want to pay more for the shipping and fees than for the item itself. I am not just buying things on ebay to get them cheaper, sometimes these items are not available where I live. I guess I will shop on the competitors sites from now on.

It's definitely your decision as to where you want to shop and I can understand why you are bothered by this. However, it seems that the seller misunderstood you and reported to ebay. It's quite possible that the seller didn't even realize they were registered with the gsp as ebay often does that without a seller knowing it. So the seller may not have had a clue what you were asking and just assumed that you wanted them to do something wrong. I'm just guessing of course.

I know that this situation isn't the norm and it is unfortunate that it happened. I imagine that ebay takes reports like that at face value and just sent you the usual form letter. It would be impossible for them to investigate every report like that and as far as taking your 'record' into account...it looks as if your feedback is just for buying (other than one selling feedback) and buying feedback is always 100% so they can't really judge by that.

Anyway...as I said, it's your decision although it is unfortunate that you would judge the whole site by one incident caused by a miscommunication.

Message 3798 of 6,171
latest reply

I know some US sellers can be very sensitive to the wording, because they've told me that they're asked to mark 'gift' all the time - and I didn't even ask them - they volunteered this info after I requested USPS because it's cheaper than GSP. Maybe they thought I was trying to save every penny, lol? So now I don't mention cost at all, or get into the whole GSP **bleep**storm. If they can accommodate my request for USPS, then I'll buy the item. If not, who cares? So far I haven't seen anything that I can't live without 🙂

Message 3799 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree. U.S. sellers are very sensitive about being asked to mark something as a gift.

The import/non taxable limit for gifts is only $60 yet some people seem to think that it is limitless. Personally, I think that a customs officer is more likely to look more closely at a gift, especially if it has a business type label on it.

Message 3800 of 6,171
latest reply