Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

I will not buy from a seller that uses GSP ever again, because:

1- Tracking is a nightmare (slow to update, too many different places to have to check, too many different carriers not communicating efficiently)

2- Shipping is SSLLOOWW - I've received items from regular surface mail faster

3- Cost=might as well be paying for courier as the GSP rates are almost as high-cost.

I know that these points have been made and discussed ad-nauseum, though these are my two-bits worth as a long-time user (going on a decade) of ebay and a Canadian buyer.

Message 5361 of 6,171
latest reply

After my nightmare experience I have found I do not use eBay for anything anymore. The whole GSP experience was disgraceful and left me with a very low opinion of eBay as a whole for continuing to choose such an incompetent partner for their shipping. I don't know who is getting what out of this but it certainly isn't the customers getting good service.

The idiotic monkeys who repackage shipments at Pitney Bowes are liars, cheaters, thieves and concon artists. If this opinion makes them want to sue me then bring it on. I'd be more than happy to publicly shame such a despicable company.

The only words I have for Pitney Bowes are expletives and for partnering with such a despicable company eBay might as well get them too.

On the bright side they did give me a full refund and I got to keep the wrong phone since the buyer got my money and I got eBay's. Somewhere in Australia there is a guy who got my phone with my name on the back. Hope he likes it.

Negatives: Pitney Bowes repackages shipments which means they take the nicely packaged item from the seller and take everything apart including sealed boxes and put only the item in the box to save weight. In my case they swapped items in two different boxes either through incompetence, negligence, or malice. One went to Canada and the other went to Australia. How idiotic is that. My box showed up with the other guy's phone rattling around loose because they unsealed the packaging to save weight. Their actions prove what moronic asshats they truly are.

Positives: Someone somewhere is getting paid to keep Pitney Bowes around. That is the only answer that makes sense to me.

Message 5362 of 6,171
latest reply

Negatives: Pitney Bowes repackages shipments which means they take the nicely packaged item from the seller and take everything apart including sealed boxes and put only the item in the box to save weight.

This is nonsense but people seem to love the lie.

In my case they swapped items in two different boxes either through incompetence, negligence, or malice. One went to Canada and the other went to Australia. How idiotic is that. My box showed up with the other guy's phone rattling around loose because they unsealed the packaging to save weight. Their actions prove what moronic asshats they truly are.

It only takes the wrong shipping label to do this. It does happen, it does seem to be dealt with fairly reasonably. Sellers are quite capable of very poor packaging without blaming some other party.

Message 5363 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Negatives: Pitney Bowes repackages shipments which means they take the nicely packaged item from the seller and take everything apart including sealed boxes and put only the item in the box to save weight.

This is nonsense but people seem to love the lie.

From the numerous posts in these ebay.ca forums as well as on non-eBay sites with videos showing how the package was packed, I would believe the numerous reports as showing that some (not all) items are repackaged poorly upon inspection for contents and country of origin.

Is it a deliberate written policy by management to make packages smaller and lighter, who knows, probably not? Is is a practice by supervisors or works to process more orders, maybe? What management knows and what first level supervisors and workers do are two completely different things. Been there, seen that, in 40+ years of real work experience from the worker o the supervisor role.

it would not be the first time a large company has no idea what is going on nor deny know practices and say the opposite.

For any buyer buying through the GSP, the repackaging issue is a real one and has to be considered especially for rare items that cannot be replaced.

Message 5364 of 6,171
latest reply

Is it a deliberate written policy by management to make packages smaller and lighter, who knows, probably not? Is is a practice by supervisors or works to process more orders, maybe?

I can only say it is not official policy or normal practice at the UK shipping hub, unless all the staff from the site manager to the floor operatives all lied to me. The same woman is the manager overall for both the US and UK hub and she  also denied any policy of repacking to save weight or size.

This is not hearsay or speculation, I have visited the UK plant and spent some time talking to many of the staff including all the management team. Of course, no one has to believe me but I really have no motive to make it up.

Message 5365 of 6,171
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Is it a deliberate written policy by management to make packages smaller and lighter, who knows, ...................... ? 

One way to put that to the test would be to compare before-after weights (i.e.shipping costs) of items.

That is, is the actual cost of shipping before items are repackaged higher or lower than the cost of shipping after GSP processing?

If repackaging doesn't change the actual cost of shipping, then repackaging is done for some other reason.

If repackaging results in a higher cost of shipping, then repackaging is done for some other reason.

However:  If actual shipping cost is lower after repackaging, that is evidence that repacking is done to reduce the cost of shipping.

If the purpose of repackaging is not to lower the GSP's actual cost, then the number of packages with increased weight etc. would be the same as the number of packages with decreased weight.

I've received a number of items shipping via the GSP and almost all were re-packaged.

I know that because I communicated about it with my sellers (who were very upset about it) and/or the GSP informed me about it.

Buyers have already paid for shipping according to the way sellers packaged items, so that's a nice tip that the GSP has decided to bestow upon itself.

Very unethical.

Message 5366 of 6,171
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I've received a number of items shipping via the GSP and almost all were re-packaged.

I know that because I communicated about it with my sellers (who were very upset about it) and/or the GSP informed me about it.

I highly doubt that repackaging actually occurs, unless the original package arrives totally destroyed or has to be damaged for the item to be inspected. It would be an incredible waste of time to repackage items, for what would be marginal gains at best.

What possibly happens is that the workers at the hub simply put the item and packing material back in very quickly so that they can move on to the next package. So even though all of the original packaging is still there, it may not be distributed in a way that will ensure maximum protection for the item.

I also have to be skeptical of all those sellers who, confronted with photos of destroyed packaging, reply that "this isn't my packaging, I packed your item very carefully". No kidding! Do you honestly believe that a seller will reply "Oh yeah, that's my package, it really was that flimsy. Sorry!" LOL!

Message 5367 of 6,171
latest reply

The items are DEFINATELY repackaged.You can tell because they are taped up with gobs of tape that has the name "ebay"  printed all over it.

Message 5368 of 6,171
latest reply

Interesting 

269 pages spanning 3 years of negative comments and this ASSENINE program is still in place between Canada and the USA.

I think that it could be necessary for shipping off the continent of NorthAmerica (where things can go awry), but I strongly believe that Canada needs to be removed from the list of Global shipping destinations. Charging Brokerage fees for personal use goods under $1600 in Canada is in fact ILLEAGAL. Brokerage fees can only be levied if you are a commercial importer or if you are bringing in goods of high value (above $1600) such as cars, jewels and anything that is controlled or government regulated. 

I also feel its paying alot of empty lip service for an ebay forum Moderator to be assigned to opening the floor to a conversation on our opinions regarding this program and then 3 years and 269 pages later nothing has changed!!!!! I smell alot of horse manure and i say it stinks!

I DO NOT do business with GSP vendors 

Message 5369 of 6,171
latest reply

From:  http://www.thestar.com/business/2007/12/03/border_shipping_fees_spark_complaints.html

The Canada Border Services Agency, which is responsible for enforcing the Customs Act, says customs brokerage fees are unregulated and have nothing to do with how the government levies it [sic] charges.

Message 5370 of 6,171
latest reply

Quoting a 2007 article is a bit dated at 9 years old for many of the references in there. Ontario PST 8%, GST 6% and so on. Not a good reference since so much is out of date and this makes the reference not reliable since it is not current (1-2-3 years old).

But the point about brokerage charges being unregulated is probably still true. The charges are driven by the processing costs and competition rates most likely.

Message 5371 of 6,171
latest reply

I think that it could be necessary for shipping off the continent of NorthAmerica (where things can go awry), but I strongly believe that Canada needs to be removed from the list of Global shipping destinations. Charging Brokerage fees for personal use goods under $1600 in Canada is in fact ILLEAGAL. Brokerage fees can only be levied if you are a commercial importer or if you are bringing in goods of high value (above $1600) such as cars, jewels and anything that is controlled or government regulated. 

Just about everything about this from the spelling to the facts is wrong. Sellers can exempt Canada from otherwise GSP using sales, things can go awry anywhere; experience has shown  that this is just about as likely in North America as any other civilised country. Brokerage fees are not illegal and do not depend on any item value, they can be charged for items that do not attract any tax at all.

Message 5372 of 6,171
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Quoting a 2007 article is a bit dated at 9 years old for many of the references in there. Ontario PST 8%, GST 6% and so on. Not a good reference since so much is out of date and this makes the reference not reliable since it is not current (1-2-3 years old).

But the point about brokerage charges being unregulated is probably still true. The charges are driven by the processing costs and competition rates most likely.

Definitely agree about the article being dated.  Unfortunately, the (slightly) more recent sources I found were from webpages with customs information that were unofficial and I wasn't sure how reliable the information was.

From what I could figure out from those pages, though, that $1600 figure is the maximum limit for "casual" imports.  Anything valued over that is considered a commercial importation by customs.  This may be outdated information, though.

In any event, I think we're looking at a misinterpretation of customs regulations.

Message 5373 of 6,171
latest reply

mat7699
Community Member

I dont understand global shipping logic!

here is my tracking number UPAAA000000155036025

Message 5374 of 6,171
latest reply

It's called a 'hub and spoke' distribution system and is used by most shippers, including Canada Post and USPS.

If you saw the movie Castaway, there was a visual description of the system used by FedEx at the beginning of the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoke%E2%80%93hub_distribution_paradigm

Rather than having a single parcel move from the small town of North Troy, it went to Boston via USPS where it joined hundreds of other parcels moving to Erlanger KY and the GSP plant.

Then those parcels going to Eastern Canada were put on another truck, crossed the border at Detroit, and Canada Post took it to you in Montreal.

All those other stops ? It probably never moved off that truck while it passed through on a cargo manifest with hundreds of others.

Some of the parcels that it joined in Boston on their way to Erlanger went to Western Canada, some to Europe, some to Australia.

Message 5375 of 6,171
latest reply

Message 5376 of 6,171
latest reply

@themoneypennydiaries wrote:

http://business.financialpost.com/legal-post/ontario-judge-rules-against-ups-in-consumer-protection-...

This is what i am on about. Get rid of or fix the GSP program!

I don't like the gsp either but there's nothing illegal about it. In the article you linked to, the judge's concern was that the buyer's did not know ahead of time that there would be brokerage fees. Since the gsp charges those fees at the time of purchase so it is a different situation.

Message 5377 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello 'themoneypennydiaries', 

<<http://business.financialpost.com/legal-post/ontario-judge-rules-against-ups-in-consumer-protection-...

This is what i am on about. Get rid of or fix the GSP program! >>

Have you read your own posted article?  Were you able to see that it refers to UPS (United Parcel Service), the courier

company charging what many online shoppers believe to be sneaky, excessive and previously undisclosed fees.

It was an interesting article to read and I enjoyed it, -- but it has nothing to do with the GSP (Global Shipping Program).

Some folks also think those charges are excessive, but they are disclosed (to a point) before the buyer clicks to agree 

at the payment checkout, so no real surprises, at least not at that point.  

Between the two of them, when considering cost/expense only, - in my opinion UPS is far worse than the GSP.

Haha, that's not saying much. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5378 of 6,171
latest reply

The point is with UPS is that charges should be upfront and forthcoming. The problem with GSP is that I'm getting charged duties and tax on used clothing items. There is no duties or tax on used items in Canada and furthermore I live in Alberta where there is no provincial sales tax on even new items. GSP has attached duties and tax randomly even when ebay reps have confirmed that the seller has indeed clicked used as the condition of the item. Then, I pay double shipping fees to get the item. 

It's t's just not worth it. I always ask if a seller will ship to me directly using USPS and sometimes I get a yes but when I get no, I refuse to bid on the item. I find it appalling that the moderator hasn't provided answers or solutions to the concerns presented in this forum. 

Message 5379 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello 'coolcatcarm', 

<<The problem with GSP is that I'm getting charged duties and tax on used clothing items. There is no duties or tax

on used items in Canada >>

What in blazes makes you say that?  Anything with a declared value over $20 is subject to duties and taxes.  Both.

This link explains that and you would do yourself a kindness to have a look at it:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Have you never been to 'business' thrift store like Value Village?  You will pay GST at the checkout on all your used 

clothing, -- right here in Canada, even in Alberta. 

Duties, of course, are applied to items coming into the country, -- not to items already here.

When buying from outside Canada, any item made in a NAFTA country (Can, US, Mexico) is exempt from duty.

Some other items are, too, like camera equipment, but clothing from around the world?  Nope.  Here is a shopping

calculator you can use in advance of making an expensive purchase:

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator

<<GSP has attached duties and tax randomly even when ebay reps have confirmed that the seller has indeed clicked

used as the condition of the item.>>

That's because used goods are subject to both duty and taxes.  Do you think if you buy the Prada alligator bag as 

"used" that the government will not want duty and taxes from it?

Or how 'bout the Hermes Birkin croc bag?  Do you think you can get an allegedly 'used' one of those into the country

without paying charges?

Used goods are always subject to taxes and duties, -- depending on what the item is and where it is made:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pdt-pdt-eng.html#_s3

I'm not suggesting the GSP always gets it right, and there has been a lot of talk and speculation that they overcharge 

and apply charges where there should be none.  What I am saying is that no matter how irksome taxes and duties are

to Canadian shoppers, it is our government who is the cause of it.  

<<I always ask if a seller will ship to me directly using USPS >>

Great idea!  If you are always sweet and kind in your request  (skipping the economics lesson) and simply ask the 

seller to use USPS First Class which is a tracked (Delivery Confirmed) fast and reliable service, -- you will get very 

few refusals.  

Another thing, -- if you usually buy low cost items, those coming through the post are often waived through and no 

charges added on.  This is because it costs more to collect a small amount than the amount collected.

But any amount over $20 can incur these fees, -- and Canada Post charges $9.95 to process the paperwork when 

your item is assessed.

<< I find it appalling that the moderator hasn't provided answers or solutions to the concerns presented in this forum. >>

It's not the job of the moderator. Smiley Happy   But I think I know what you mean, -- someone from ebay.  The thing is, the guys

whose job it is to field questions about the GSP or other things ebay are not the people who implemented the program.

There really is nothing Canadian shoppers can do except ask to have the items mailed directly with USPS, and avoid 

listings that are GSP.

Always first check to see if you can find what you want in Canada (under Item Location on the left side of the page), 

otherwise skip those listings which say,

Customs services and international tracking provided  

when scrolling through listings.  Those are the GSP items, so pass them by if you don't want them and find other sellers 

not using it.  

It takes a bit of time and effort to find the best items for the best value ("best value" is not necessarily the lowest price)

but when you are spending your money, you must first help yourself by learning about charges, what you can expect, 

what is expected of you, and how to conduct your shopping to get the most out of it.  

Message 5380 of 6,171
latest reply