Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

Re: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Here's my trick, it might apply to your purchases or not :

I mostly buy video games online.

Lots of my favorite sellers also have brick and mortar stores with dedicated websites and dedicated e-commerce platforms and they (obviously) handle international shipping themselves since GSP is specifically an ebay racket.

So here's what I do when the sellers use GSP :

1. Ask seller to ship through regular means. Some can, some can't, some refuse, some don't even know what I'm talking about. That's okay.

2. If seller refuses or cannot, hop onto their website if they have one and place your order there instead. They will also combine shipping 99% of the time.

Done.

So you search for things to buy on ebay, but you buy them from their B&M stores instead. It's better for everyone, the store makes more money since no fees for them, and you get cheap shipping. Bookmark the store pages if you plan on being a returning customer and that's it. No GSP.

Sometimes there are B&M stores you don't know about who carry the items you want, that's why you still start with an ebay search.

EDIT : typos.

Message 5741 of 6,171
latest reply

nikkow
Community Member
The global scam program
Message 5742 of 6,171
latest reply

nikkow
Community Member
Ah the gobal scam program eh!
Message 5743 of 6,171
latest reply

cflfan
Community Member

There is nothing good about this program if you are a Canadian buying from the USA. I have stopped buying from the USA as Global Shipping is a big rip off. It cost twice as much to ship plus most items there is no duty to pay. Global shipping charges it anyway and rips people from Canada off.

If American sellers want to sell to Canadians they should get out of the program, but I do not think they know how much it is hurting there selling

Message 5744 of 6,171
latest reply

@cflfan wrote:

There is nothing good about this program if you are a Canadian buying from the USA. I have stopped buying from the USA as Global Shipping is a big rip off. It cost twice as much to ship plus most items there is no duty to pay. Global shipping charges it anyway and rips people from Canada off.

If American sellers want to sell to Canadians they should get out of the program, but I do not think they know how much it is hurting there selling

Why do you think there's no "duty" to pay?  Have you considered that taxes may be payable on the item if it's valued at over twenty bucks Canadian?

Message 5745 of 6,171
latest reply

Why do you think there's no "duty" to pay?  Have you considered that taxes may be payable on the item if it's valued at over twenty bucks Canadian

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've never considered it in, say....about 14 years of buying on Ebay before the GSP.... ;-). Canada Post did slip up once...back in 2008....and actually charged me $5.00 duty, or something...which I got reimbursed for later....

Message 5746 of 6,171
latest reply

@towertreasuretrove wrote:

I've never considered it in, say....about 14 years of buying on Ebay before the GSP.... ;-). Canada Post did slip up once...back in 2008....and actually charged me $5.00 duty, or something...which I got reimbursed for later....

Not trying to be pedantic here, but it's Canada Border Services that assesses and charges any taxes and duty owing on a postal import.  Canada Post is just stuck with collecting those monies, and they charge ten bucks for handling the payment.  The official tax and duty-free limit is C$20, but they don't assess every single item that comes their way so often people are getting away with purchasing items worth considerably more than that.

More info at:  http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html

The GSP, on the other hand, has taxes and duties paid by Pitney Bowes.  The "import charges" are your way of paying Pitney Bowes back, plus any processing fees for getting the item through customs.

The system isn't perfect, but it really can't be when Pitney Bowes doesn't have the merchandise itself at the time it calculates import charges.  Where do you feel that the GSP has been way off in its calculation of import charges?

Message 5747 of 6,171
latest reply

I thought it was kind of amusing that eBay sent me an e-mail asking me to sign a petition to raise the Canadian $20 duty/tax-free minimum for e-commerce purchases, while at the same time they support this stupid program that charges all these extra fees for Canadian buyers.  I know, different programs, etc. ... it just struck me as funny.

I'm dismayed to see GSP spreading to the UK... and so many more USA sellers using it all the time.  I suppose it's better for my budget, because there have been quite a number of items I'd have bought if they weren't GSP (or if the sellers had agreed to use USPS, assuming they bother to reply).

One of the most annoying things is the default shipping on small items, which seems to be one of the more expensive options available.  For example doll clothing -- Barbie size -- which would easily fit in a small envelope and maybe even go letter mail (?) will have a shipping cost of, say, $20.  For a $4 item.

And no, I just don't buy.

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a "change.org" type petition somewhere asking for the abolition of GSP.

Message 5748 of 6,171
latest reply

@3islanders wrote:

I thought it was kind of amusing that eBay sent me an e-mail asking me to sign a petition to raise the Canadian $20 duty/tax-free minimum for e-commerce purchases, while at the same time they support this stupid program that charges all these extra fees for Canadian buyers.  I know, different programs, etc. ... it just struck me as funny.

I'm dismayed to see GSP spreading to the UK... and so many more USA sellers using it all the time.  I suppose it's better for my budget, because there have been quite a number of items I'd have bought if they weren't GSP (or if the sellers had agreed to use USPS, assuming they bother to reply).

One of the most annoying things is the default shipping on small items, which seems to be one of the more expensive options available.  For example doll clothing -- Barbie size -- which would easily fit in a small envelope and maybe even go letter mail (?) will have a shipping cost of, say, $20.  For a $4 item.

And no, I just don't buy.

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a "change.org" type petition somewhere asking for the abolition of GSP.

It's not so much that an increasing number of US and UK sellers have adopted the GSP for their international sales as much as it is US and UK sellers who have not specified international shipping information in their listings are getting the GSP automatically applied to their listings by eBay.

If you ever do ask a US or UK seller to consider relisting their item for you without the GSP,  I'd say there's a pretty good chance that they won't know what you're talking about.  eBay doesn't give sellers a heads-up about being opted into the program, relying on them having read the relevant portion of the user agreement for this information.

If you're accustomed to having your items shipped from the US or UK as letter mail (First Class International / Small Packet), the GSP will seem pricey.  The GSP's pricing is structured to be competitive with parcel post.  If you check USPS "Priority" rates for small items, you'll find that they're quite pricey, too.

As for the chances of eBay turfing the GSP anytime soon, I'd say the chances are pretty slim to none.  They'd likely have to dissolve a contract with Pitney Bowes for its operation, for starters, but more importantly, the word from them is that they consider the GSP to be quite a successful program in that it's increased international sales a fair bit.  Besides, the GSP is now available to about 100 different countries, many of them with more problematic customs and/or mail systems than Canada, so the GSP may be a viable alternative for buyers in those countries.  And in the big picture, sales to Canada don't make up an overwhelming proportion of eBay sales by any means, so eBay can likely tolerate a lot of griping from us about it.

And that griping seems to be largely about the "import charges" that some users feel are being unjustly charged by the program, hence the campaign to raise the tax/duty-free limit on casual imports as well as experiments to see if burying the "import charges" in with the shipping charges makes GSP items more attractive to Canadian buyers.

Message 5749 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm a bit new to the GSP, but not to eBay.

It seems that the GSP has the effect of charging double shipping. As well it means when I'm searching through items when I see something at a price I like with reasonable shipping, there is a seemingly randomized amount of extra fees on top. It makes navigating the site almost impossible because the final price can be often much higher than the price you see in the search list.

The GSP places eBay at a disadvantage to amazon and walmart which have free/low cost shipping, so that is where the bulk of my online purchases are made. If you scrapped the GSP you might have a shot at competing. If not, at least add the GSP amount in to the shipping or as a separate amount so we can see the price of items without having to click through on each one.

Message 5750 of 6,171
latest reply

Are you browsing with a mobile phone? 

It should be a lot cleaer with a PC or laptop.

Message 5751 of 6,171
latest reply

This GSP has  been almost been beaten to death, particularly from the Canadian side.  Most US sellers do not know the high cost for Canadian buyers when sellers use this service.  Most say that they use the service to protect themselves from those nasty Canucks who scam them.  Of course, this never happens in the US, does it.  Bunk! 

We  b & s coins.  As I am into Canadian coins only, I advise US sellers that Canada is the largest market for Canadian coins and they are missing out on a very large market as we all hate that dreaded GSP and explain why.  A vast number of these sellers don't even know how their coins got listed in the GSP program to start with and don't know how to get out of it.  They feel that once the buy has been made, they cannot change the shipping terms --- well, that is not correct at all.  It is really quite easy to opt out after the buy has been made (but not paid). 

Of course, the biggest problem in our hobby is that we could be buying a coin for $5-20; and then the GSP kicks in making the coin purchase ridiculously high.  I usually advise potential sellers that our 100% feedback score is proof of our integrity and honesty.  This usually at least creates dialogue.  We sell the same way as we buy ----- under $40, no tracking if the buyer displays 100% feedback (minimum of 200). 

Whether any of this information is new or not, or if it can help anyone with the GSP, I won't be replying to any inquires as I am fed up with GSP and won't be discussing it again --- hope it dies !!!!

Message 5752 of 6,171
latest reply

SAhe global shipping program is horrible. Tracking from USA to Canada stops in the USA and never continues. Your order goes around in circles for at least a week. We have switched most of our online buying to Amazon.

Message 5753 of 6,171
latest reply

Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 5754 of 6,171
latest reply

The program is a rip off and simply a way to take more money out of the pockets of buyers who do not live in the USA. It delays the recite of items purchased and has no benefit at all to Canadians as most items purchased from US sellers would come into Canada with zero or virtually nothing extra to pay. I have never pad to pay anything in the way of extra taxes or duties from items bought on ebay from any country, and especially from the USA. Unless it is impossible to do otherwise, I only buy from sellers who DO NOT USE this rip off program. It only gives Pitney Bowes (and possibly ebay) a way to line their pockets with money they others wise would not have. By the way, Canada Post only charges $9.00 CDN to clear a parcel if it should happen to be a very expensive sale where taxes would apply.
Message 5755 of 6,171
latest reply

I "might", once, have had to pay some duty or tax on a package... I have a vague recollection that it might have happened but don't remember any more.  So, like, once, EVER.  

I can't really add anything else except for a tactic I've just seen which might give some of you a chuckle.  Someone in the USA sent me a gift; she put the actual value on it and it was $195 (eek) and on the customs label by the total she wrote "GIFT -- PLZ DON'T TAX".  Woman LOL  They actually didn't, but I thought it was so funny that someone thought doing that would help.  Like those charity and advertising envelopes that have things printed on them like  "Postmaster!  Important documents!  RUSH!!"  I'm sure that works too.

Message 5756 of 6,171
latest reply

By the way, Canada Post only charges $9.00 CDN to clear a parcel if it should happen to be a very expensive sale where taxes would apply.

Well, actually it's $9.95.

And that is in addition to applicable duty and more commonly sales taxes.

An item valued over $20CDN (~$16USD) is supposed to be assessed for duty and sales tax.

Couriers and freight forwarders like the GSP are legally bound to do the assessment.

They charge a fee for this. GSP charges about $5.oo, which is less than Canada Post.

BUT

The intelligent public servants who run CBSA and Canada Post decided it was pennywise and pound foolish to assess imports when it the assessment would cost the taxpayer more than could be collected.

So.

Most low value and lightweight parcels are ignored by CBSA. Your public service at work - intelligently.

Which is why many Canadians do not realize that the duty free allowance is only $20.

Message 5757 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm not sure if someone ran into this problem with GSP but...

I bought something from seller and they shipped through the GSP program.

Turns out the seller shipped out the WRONG ITEM to me.  The seller is OK with the return, but Pitney Bowes only refunded me the "import taxes" portion of the payment.

Who do I chase for the missing amount?  I can try asking the seller but I doubt that they will do anything about it since they want me to fight ebay for the amount back.

Will ebay refund the original amount?  Anyone have experience on this?

Thanks

Message 5758 of 6,171
latest reply

This seems to call for an item not as described case opened by you against the seller.

If the GSP had been responsible for sending the wrong item (switched with some other buyer's item at the GSP depot) it would be different but it seems from what you write that the seller knew they had sent the wrong thing.

It also seems that the seller is non co-operative, so working with them is not possible, hence the formal claim.

The seller is responsible for return shipping. I am somewhat amazed the GSP refunded anything.

Message 5759 of 6,171
latest reply

So, after paying $15 usd on a five dollar purchase because of the gsp, my order has been lost. I was refunded my money but the seller says she will never sell to Canada again. Thanks for that, ebay. Fewer options for us on both sides of the border.
Message 5760 of 6,171
latest reply