Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

@chatho506 wrote:

well I've had 2 experiences with GSP and have not yet found anything positive yet. There seems to be no consistency in the import charges. One item might be 15% and the next is 19%. Another thing I've noticed is shipping was double normal transit time. Also canadian and USA made products shouldn't be taxed  the same as items made outside north america. Untill this changes I will be doing my purchases in Canada and China.

I don't really follow how you reckon that the GSP charges should be a flat percentage of the item's value.

If you purchase an item from outside of Canada with a declared value of $50 and you live in a province with 13% HST, the taxes charged on it (if they do get charged) will be $6.50.  Canada Post will add a $9.95 processing fee to that charge for a total of $16.49, or about 33% of the item's value.  A $100 item would be subject to $13 in taxes and Canada Post will still add $9.95 for a total charge of $22.95, or about 23% of the item's value.

Similar sort of idea with the GSP, although their charges are less transparent.

More information on the GSP import charges can be found on the terms and conditions page linked on every GSP listing:

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

I also don't understand why you feel that Canadian and US made items shouldn't be taxed the same way as items made outside of North America.  We pay the same sales taxes (GST/PST/HST) on items from stores no matter where the item's made.  A $200 leaf-blower made in Wyoming is still subject to the same taxes as one made in China.  Perhaps you're confusing taxes with duty?

Message 41 of 6,171
latest reply

I will not purchase from vendors using GSP. The only other thing I can do is hope a rival system to eBay emerges. Withsome of the policies and programs eBay has initiated, the space has been created and it might just happen.
Message 42 of 6,171
latest reply

Kalvin,

Another EBay sale lost. I was looking for a chrome differential cover for my Dodge Dakota. Almost all sellers of this item were using Global Express or alternates were too expensive on EBay. Went to Google, found another vender in Michigan outside EBay, they had exactly the product I wanted, ordered and shipped this past week with $25.00 UPS fee, no extra charges. I am extatic. Tick Tock, Canadian sales are disappearing...

My EBay account was opened in 2000, 13 years and I don't take slowly leaving EBay lightly. Cancel the Global Express plan before you cost your American sellers a considerable number of Canadian buyers.

Regards

Kirk

Message 43 of 6,171
latest reply

For the last year, eBay has been promoting its GSP to American sellers.  We have all read hundreds of negative posts about GSP (including dozens from the same posters).  Why do American sellers agree to use the program?

Here is how eBay promotes the program to American sellers:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram.html

Increase your sales by up to 15% or more!

*Approximately 13% of sellers who enrolled in the Global Shipping Program during November and December 2012, who had not previously sold internationally, and who enabled more than 80% of their listings with the Global Shipping Program experienced a 15% increase in sales 30 days after enrollment as measured against the 30 day period prior to enrollment. Individual results may vary.

Then eBay makes it sound easy:

The program takes care of customs forms, remits import charges pre-paid by your buyer, and gets the item to your buyer quickly, complete with international tracking

You’re protected from negative or neutral feedback resulting from your item getting lost or damaged in international transit. Detailed seller ratings for shipping and handling charges and shipping time that are below five won’t count against your seller performance standards.

Then eBay offers a link to other sellers success stories:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/sellingresources/ss_GSP_Beta_Sellers.html

Message 44 of 6,171
latest reply

It's smart, it's fast, and it's designed to help you sell to the world without the hassle of International shipping!

I hate it when people refer to the "hassles" of international shipping when most of the "hassles" are actually between a seller's two ears.

Message 45 of 6,171
latest reply

The GSP team will be on the .com's site weekly chat this afternoon (October 9) at 1:00 PM Pacific, 4:00 PM Eastern.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Global-Shipping-T...

Remember that constructive suggestions and comments are much more effective than ranting, no matter how much we hate the program (and god knows a lot of us do!)

Message 46 of 6,171
latest reply

There was a similar "weekly hour" about three months ago on eBay.com

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Global-Shipping-T...

As you can see, there appears to be little interest on the eBay.com site for the subject with very few questions or comments from American sellers.

And - as expected - the first question asked on that thread has yet to be answered three months later.

Message 47 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

There was a similar "weekly hour" about three months ago on eBay.com

As you can see, there appears to be little interest on the eBay.com site for the subject with very few questions or comments from American sellers.

And - as expected - the first question asked on that thread has yet to be answered three months later.

I remember that weekly chat. I don't expect that we'll get very many answers today either, maybe none at all outside of the usual GSP sales pitch. But we have zero chances of getting any if we don't ask questions.

Back when that first chat was held, US sellers weren't yet being enrolled in the program without their knowledge or consent. Maybe we'll get more participation from them this time. But even if we don't, I feel that it is important for the buyers' point of view to be heard (as long as all ranting is checked at the door). The GSP may be geared towards sellers, but they won't sell anything if buyers don't want to buy.

Message 48 of 6,171
latest reply

How soon  can we expect an itemized invoice from Pitney/Bowes ?

We can not use  the GST as an ITC if it is not listed on the invoice.

Also what is  the P/B GST/HST registration number ?

By law this number must appear on all invoices where GST?HST is collected.

Message 49 of 6,171
latest reply

At the risk of sounding like I am ranting allow me to say this.   For the most part I am ignorant of the GSP situation.  I read some of the posts in this forum and I can see where Ebay is aware that a problem exists.  What more can these posts add? 

For my part I questioned USA sellers as to the high S&H rates when I know via past purchases what would be a reasonable charge.  Each seller tells me they used the new GSP format.  I told each of them the S&H charge was excessive, that I would not be buying their item due to the high GSP charge.

So where do we go from here?

Message 50 of 6,171
latest reply

From another thread:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/update_faqs.html

Who should use the Global Shipping Program?

The Global Shipping Program is a great solution to streamline your operations if you’re currently selling internationally, your items have an average selling price of $50 or more, and you’re shipping parcels. It’s also the perfect way to get started selling globally regardless of the average selling price of your items.

I think that is part of the problem.  Many American sellers use GSP when they should not.

Personally, I view $100 (instead of the $50 suggested by eBay) as a guideline, not a number written in stone. Each listing must be viewed and calculated individually.

So, my question to eBay is: Why do you allow sellers to register for GSP when their average sale is below your suggested average of $50 and/or not shipping parcels? Without seller's education, everybody loses: seller loses - buyer loses - eBay loses.  It translates into: short term gain for long term pain.

Pushing and promoting GSP to American sellers without restraint is ill advised and will eventually backfire as many foreign buyers (including Canadians) walk away from eBay and shop elsewhere. 

Message 51 of 6,171
latest reply

"Increase your sales by up to 15% or more!"

Assuming that claim by eBay is correct and using GSP really increases sales for American sellers, why are all the extra costs paid by buyers instead of sellers who benefit from the program?

Message 52 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Assuming that claim by eBay is correct and using GSP really increases sales for American sellers, why are all the extra costs paid by buyers instead of sellers who benefit from the program?

What "extra costs" are you referring to, Pierre?

If a U.S. seller sends me an item by mail and it gets assessed taxes, the seller doesn't pay the taxes plus Canada Post's ten dollar processing charge.

If a U.S. seller elects to send an item by express mail or a commercial carrier when sending it by letter mail will do just fine, does that seller bear the extra costs incurred with their choice of shipping method?

Keep in mind that ultimately, any money eBay gets is from the buyers anyway.  Listing fees, final value fees, PayPal fees all come out of the money that buyers pay sellers in the first place. 

What do you mean by "extra costs"?

Message 53 of 6,171
latest reply

"What do you mean by "extra costs"?"

1) extra shipping charge as in many instances it will cost more overall to have a parcel shipped from the seller to PB and then shipped again from PB to the buyer than to have the same parcel shipped only once directly from the American seller to the buyer

2) handling fee charged by PB to handle the transaction where in many instances no handling fee would be charged if the American seller shipped directly to the buyer

My comments do not reflect taxes or brokerage as this is a totally different subject.

Message 54 of 6,171
latest reply

The way I see it, as long as the GSP is being used appropriately--and the vast number of complaints about the GSP on the Canadian discussion boards seem to stem from sales where it isn't--the shipping cost is actually quite competitive with that of the postal system.

If a seller should bear any costs associated with a GSP shipment, I say it should be the cost of getting the item to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky.  Listings where "free" domestic U.S. shipping is offered tend to have decent GSP shipping rates to Canada.  Some U.S. sellers who ship directly to Canada but who offer "free" domestic shipping are charging full shipping rates to Canada, thus padding their bottom lines.

Just found a listing for a Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone where "free" domestic shipping is offered.  GSP shipping price to Canada is US$15.45.  A listing for the same phone where the seller is charging $14.95 to ship within the US is $30.41.  Assuming a mailing weight of 300 grams (which is probably a bit low), First Class Mail International would cost $12.87 if the postage were purchased online, a Priority small flat-rate box (which may not fit a packaged Smartphone) would cost $23.95, and a regular Priority International parcel would be $35.65 (online price). Express would, of course, be even pricier.

Message 55 of 6,171
latest reply

"as long as the GSP is being used appropriately"

... and that is the problem.  Too many small value transactions are offered through GSP that simply do not make economical sense.  The program was not designed for those sellers or transactions.

Of course if one looks for relatively high dollar smart phones, it is easy to justify the program through possible lower shipping costs by PB.  But that is not what the average eBay purchase by a Canadian buyer is all about.

Message 56 of 6,171
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"as long as the GSP is being used appropriately"

... and that is the problem.  Too many small value transactions are offered through GSP that simply do not make economical sense.  The program was not designed for those sellers or transactions.

I've no quibbles with that point, but I'm afraid I'm having a hard time understanding your point about "extra" charges.  Yes, the GSP is more expensive than international letter post for small items, but I don't believe any shipping method can come close to the prices offered by Small Packet, First Class International, call it what you will.

I just don't understand how you figure the charges levied by the GSP for shipping small items are considered to be "extra".  The GSP shipping charges "is what they is" as far as I'm concerned.

Message 57 of 6,171
latest reply

"I just don't understand how you figure the charges levied by the GSP for shipping small items are considered to be "extra"."

Example # 1:

American seller mails directly to Canadian buyer in Canada:

Shipping charge (USPS) paid by Canadian buyer: $______

Example # 2:

American seller ships to Pitney Bowes Distribution Centre in USA:

Shipping charge paid by Canadian buyer: $______

Then PB reships to Canadian buyer in Canada: Second shipping charge paid by Canadian buyer: $_______

While the two shipping charges may be combined, the fact remains that two distinct payments need to be made to a postal authority and/or transportation company to pay for the first and second legs of the journey.

I suspect that in most instances - for relatively low value items - the total shipping costs in example #2 are higher than the shipping cost in example #1.  That is what I mean by "extra".

Message 58 of 6,171
latest reply

pierrelebel wrote

Here is how eBay promotes the program to American sellers:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram.html

Increase your sales by up to 15% or more!

*Approximately 13% of sellers who enrolled in the Global Shipping Program during November and December 2012, who had not previously sold internationally, and who enabled more than 80% of their listings with the Global Shipping Program experienced a 15% increase in sales 30 days after enrollment as measured against the 30 day period prior to enrollment. Individual results may vary.

I would think many sellers, GSP or not, would experience more sales during the Christmas selling season.

Message 59 of 6,171
latest reply

To me, an "extra" charge is a levy in addition to additional charges already in place.

If I fill up my car with 40 litres of gas from a Shell station charging $1.40 a litre, I pay $56.  If I then drive a half mile to Petro Canada and see that they're charging $1.38 a litre, I don't consider that I paid 80 cents "extra" for my gas at Shell.  I just paid 80 cents more.

The price is what it is.

As far as your observations on GSP shipping pricing go, a good example of a relatively low value item that's economical to ship through the program might be books.

A while back there were some posts on the .com site's International Trading board from a seller who listed a couple of books through the GSP, got complaints from a buyer, and relisted them without the GSP.  In this case, using a Priority flat-rate envelope was less expensive than shipping the books by First Class International.  However, with the GSP shipping charge added to the seller's $3.43 charge for shipping the book domestically by Media Mail, the total price--even with GST and the other "import charges"--was only 36 cents more than an untaxed mailed shipment.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/Major-Problem-with-the-eBay-GLOBAL-SHIPPING/td-p/...

Message 60 of 6,171
latest reply