Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

"regarding when buyers and sellers see total fees,"

Ben - you may have misunderstood the comment.

My question has to do with actual breakdown of charges by Pitney Bowes as to actual amount of taxes being charged based on what specific rate and what taxable amount and what exact fees are being charged.

At this time we get a total which may incorporate brokerage fee with taxes (and duty if applicable) is some instances (when tax is chargeble) and the PB fees is incorporated with the shipping charge when no tax is payable.

In addition, Canadian laws specifically require Pitney Bowes to provide a detailed invoice with the charges and their GST/HST registration number.  This is not optional.  Every other forwarder charging and remitting Canadian taxes must do so.  USP does it, Fed-Ex does, DHL does it, Canada Post does it, etc...

For more factual information, please check the Canadian government website:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/bspsbch/itc-cti/nvc-eng.html

Message 101 of 6,171
latest reply

In case you are not aware of it, Canadian businesses (registered with GST/HST) buying on eBay do REQUIRE the GST/HST registration number and the exact amount of taxes paid to claim Input Tax Credits (ITC).

ITC do not apply on duty or brokerage fees. Registered businesses need the exact amount of tax.

Message 102 of 6,171
latest reply

This is the biggest money grab rip-off I have ever seen. On a $100 pair of shoes with $20 shipping, you ad another $30. Saying it's import charges?!?! Sorry but the import charges on an item like this would be $10-$12, and thats if they even choose to ad it which they usually don't if it's a small item $100 or under. WORST CASH GRAB EVER, THANKS FOR RIPPING OFF ANYONE WHO DOESNT LIVE IN THE U.S.A.!! But I expect this from your country. How does everyone feel being out of work everyone! Overthrow your government!!

No profanity this time, so i don't get in trouble! 😉

07dcollette

Message 103 of 6,171
latest reply

Hey kalvin

Read this one; I made another purchase tonite, nope not on ebay. I refuse to pay an extra 25%, instead my $215 was spent on a private site "Bass Pro Canada".

I guess ebay doesn't get it, buyers understand money hence money talks, by keeping this horrible GSP you are driving buyers away.

So that's another $215 you've thrown away by not eliminating GSP.

Message 104 of 6,171
latest reply

From what I can see, Bass Pro collects duty and taxes in a manner similar to the GSP.

Message 105 of 6,171
latest reply

1) prices are in US$

2) brokerage fee applies to all shipments to Canada

3)

CANADA
Duty and Taxes
Duty and Taxes
Duty and TaxesDuty and Taxes
  •  For Canadian orders, in addition to duty, we collect PST and GST, and HST (as applicable).  See below for provincial details
    • HST applies to packages destined for the provinces of British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Ontario.
    • PST and GST applies to packages destined for the provinces of Manitoba, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
    • GST applies to packages destined for the provinces of Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon Territory.
    • Check with your local agency for applicable percentages.

• When you place an order with Bass Pro Shops, you authorize our designated Canadian customs broker to act on your behalf as the Importer of Record with the Canada Border Services Agency (Customs) and the Canadian Revenue Agency to customer to customs clear your merchandise and pay all duty and taxes as applicable.  Amounts collected for duty and taxes are accepted by us on your behalf for the customer broker to pay on your behalf.
Message 106 of 6,171
latest reply

@chimera148 wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Obviously there is a major technical problem (bug) with that listing! The question is: where is the mistake?  Is the listing actually offered through GSP or is the information below added by mistake?

The seller has had completed listings with the GSP and wants out.

Maybe this type of listing, with no shipping and import charges shown in Canada, is part of the reason buyers are getting surprised at checkout and complaining here that the charges aren't showing up till they have to pay.

Many buyers have reported being charged import fees much higher than what should be allowed for any taxes and/or duties. Some buyers may well be correct. 

This auctioned item shouldn't have any taxes or duties charged, being under CAD20.00, so i wonder how the import charges are calculated. The shipping costs are bad enough.

HIGH IMPORT CHARGES ENDED OCT 14.JPG  

Message 107 of 6,171
latest reply

You should inform yourself before you post, you shop online and pick up in store, in my case Vaughan, ON

Message 108 of 6,171
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

You should inform yourself before you post, you shop online and pick up in store, in my case Vaughan, ON

From the Bass Pro website's page on the Vaughan store:

All internet and phone orders ship from the USA and are billed in US Funds.

You're still going to be paying the fees and taxes that you seem to wish to avoid with the GSP.

Message 109 of 6,171
latest reply

@chimera148 wrote:

@chimera148 wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Obviously there is a major technical problem (bug) with that listing! The question is: where is the mistake?  Is the listing actually offered through GSP or is the information below added by mistake?

The seller has had completed listings with the GSP and wants out.

Maybe this type of listing, with no shipping and import charges shown in Canada, is part of the reason buyers are getting surprised at checkout and complaining here that the charges aren't showing up till they have to pay.

Many buyers have reported being charged import fees much higher than what should be allowed for any taxes and/or duties. Some buyers may well be correct. 

This auctioned item shouldn't have any taxes or duties charged, being under CAD20.00, so i wonder how the import charges are calculated. The shipping costs are bad enough.

HIGH IMPORT CHARGES ENDED OCT 14.JPG  

When there is a buy it now price on an auction, the import charges are based on that price. I believe that they are adjusted if the item sells for less thab the BIN price.

Message 110 of 6,171
latest reply

What I'm seeing on this site is very reminiscent to what have happened to other site and companies.

They got as much money as they could before pulling the plug.

?????????

Message 111 of 6,171
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@chimera148 wrote:

@chimera148 wrote:

When there is a buy it now price on an auction, the import charges are based on that price. I believe that they are adjusted if the item sells for less thab the BIN price.

Message 112 of 6,171
latest reply

pjcdn2005 wrote

When there is a buy it now price on an auction, the import charges are based on that price.

Would you have a reference to the information ?

Message 113 of 6,171
latest reply

Just bought my first item that ran through this GSP (or Pitney Bowes). If I wouldn't have needed the item so badly - I would have skipped buying. Import charges on a $40 USD USED camera part? Come on - seriously? In our province there is NO provincial sales tax on used goods. I'm cynical as well about how much actually goes to Government of Canada coffers. I'll be giving the heads up to several other ebayers i know - as in I am quite ticked with this new ambigious money collection service. Yes, i read all the variables that CAN go into the import charges. But I'm guessing that the biggest chunk is a handling fee that Pitney Bowes and Ebay are collecting. Not amused. I will be avoiding the GSP as much as I can. If you are a seller using GSP, well don't be surprised if it takes much longer to sell to Canadians.
Message 114 of 6,171
latest reply

@northmak69 wrote:
Just bought my first item that ran through this GSP (or Pitney Bowes). If I wouldn't have needed the item so badly - I would have skipped buying. Import charges on a $40 USD USED camera part? Come on - seriously? In our province there is NO provincial sales tax on used goods.

Assuming you're right about that (I don't live in Saskatchewan), it looks like you were charged US$1.95 in GST and US$3.71 in various customs clearance fees.  If that part had been sent by mail, you'd have to pay the GST owing plus C$9.95 to Canada Post if Canada Border Services had stopped it and assessed taxes owing on it.

Message 115 of 6,171
latest reply

I DONT BUY ANYTHING BECAUSE OF THIS LISTED GOBAL SHIPPING. Who is running ebay anyway .Dont you know they require duty upfront when the post office doesnt. Dont you know sellers dont know how to change it when you buy an item so they cancel the transaction.Dont you know it is the only invoice that ebay will allow you to print off even if you also list USPSAT THE END OF THE TRANSACTION.

Message 116 of 6,171
latest reply

Used camera parts are taxable in Saskatchewan as are most used goods.

From the Saskatchewan government website:

What is Provincial Sales Tax (PST)?

The Provincial Sales Tax is a 5% sales tax that applies to taxable goods and services consumed or used in Saskatchewan. It applies to goods and services purchased in the Province as well as goods and services that are imported for consumption or use in Saskatchewan. The GST is excluded in calculating the amount of PST payable.

The PST applies to the purchase or rental of new and used tangible personal property. The following services are also subject to PST: telecommunication services, cable television, telephone answering services, accommodation, repair or installation labour, legal services, laundry and drycleaning services, security and investigation services, credit reporting and account collection services, real estate commissions, commercial building cleaning services, accounting services, engineering and architectural services, veterinary services, computer services, employment placement services and advertising services.

http://www.finance.gov.sk.ca/commonquestionsPST?Anc=e5f80742-9ab3-416c-88c4-f9aa1da73998&Pa=fb1c459c...

It should be noted that most used goods are taxable in all provinces federally and provincially (except AB)

Message 117 of 6,171
latest reply

I have just been gouged by PitneyBowes' & eBay's Global Shipping fiasco.

I bought 2 items from 2 US sellers.

Each charged me a total of  the cost of the item AND shipping.

Pitney Bowe's imposed a whopping 74% ON TOP OF  one total.

They added 37% onto the other total.

Both for so-called "shipping".

Neither article arrived any more quickly & efficiently than the many other items I've bought before Pitney Bowes arrived on the scene.

My sellers received none of this extra money .

WHO IS GETTING IT?

I attempted to resolve this through PayPal but failed. Not surprising since it's not their problem.

I will not be buying from American eBay shops until this extortion ceases. This is too bad because they are run by decent people.

Furthermore, I am an excellent customer.

I'm hoping that the Pitney Bowes Fiasco will give a huge boost to Canadian stores !

I've already gone through my list of Saved Sellers, deleted all the US ones , & added to the Canadian ones since I discovered some great new ones I hadn't known abot before.

I really question whether it's worth trying to contact eBay about this whole matter since they are notoriously difficult to reach,of their own volition, I suppose......

Message 118 of 6,171
latest reply

"74% ON TOP OF  one total."

How much (dollar and cents) were actually charged?

Message 119 of 6,171
latest reply

US $13.86 was added by Pitney Bowle to a total of US $18.75.

The other sale was US $39.48 .

$22.34 was added to this total .

Total of $36.20 taken from me.

Message 120 of 6,171
latest reply