Concerns about a seller.

I recently contacted a seller before bidding on any of his products to inquire about combined shipping.  I informed him that I would be bidding on 3 items in total.  He quoted me a combined shipping total and told me to let him know when I was done bidding.  The items that I was bidding on all ended on different  but consecutive days.  After winning the first two items, the seller sent me an invoice.  I continued to bid on the third item and won it on the third day.  I send an email shortly after winning the final auction informing the seller that I would need a new invoice to reflect the third purchase.  Four and a half days went by before I received just an email from the seller letting me know that he had been out of town on a family emergency and that he would send a new invoice right away so that I could make my payment for the items.  It's now been almost 24 hours since the email and still I have not received any other communication.  I don't know if this means anything or not but I noticed that over the weekend the seller had changed his profile name and the name of his store.  I am growing very weary about this seller and have serious concerns about sending him almost $80.  I have no idea what recourse is available to me as a buyer.  I have never had any issues on eBay before.  If anyone has any information, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in advance for your time.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Concerns about a seller.

A bit more information is required to ascertain the situation.

Could you please provide the listing numbers of the three items you purchased.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

The seller has finally sent the new invoice but has now decided to change the original agreed upon amount for shipping of the 3 items.  The item numbers are 251364062960, 251365335264, 390686174247.  I did send the seller an email inquiring about the new shipping costs.  I really feel like I'm being taken for a ride here. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

"Four and a half days went by before I received just an email from the seller letting me know that he had been out of town on a family emergency and that he would send a new invoice right away so that I could make my payment for the items. "

That statement appears to be untrue.  Checking what the British seller recently listed, we find new listings on Oct 30, Oct 31, Nov 1, Nov 2, Nov 4 and Nov 5.  If he had time to list new items, he had time to send you an invoice.

As far as changing user name and store name, that is not a problem.  The new user and store names reflect the type of items the seller offers on eBay.  He has changed names several times before.  Not a big deal.

The real problem appears to be his inability to give you the shipping charge first agreed upon.

You have options:

1) wait for the seller to lower the shipping charge to the agreed upon amount

2) pay the higher amount if you feel the transaction is still worth it for you.

3) advise the seller you do not wish to complete the transactions considering the increased shipping charge.

By the way, had you checked the sellers feedback prior to placing your bids?

Good Luck

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

That statement appears to be untrue.  Checking what the British seller recently listed, we find new listings on Oct 30, Oct 31, Nov 1, Nov 2, Nov 4 and Nov 5.  If he had time to list new items, he had time to send you an invoice.

It is possible the items were listed before OCT 31 to start at later dates to spread the finish times. Just saying.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

Everything is possible and we can always find excuses for others. 

However, checking "feedback left for others" also sees daily activity by that seller.  Yes, of course, that could also be automated but... at the end of the day... one must come to the most logical conclusion taking all the information available into account.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

I did take a look at the feedback before bidding on the items.  I figured he was a fairly safe seller because of such a high rate of positive feedback.  I didn't realize that I could check on the feedback that he has left for other buyers.  In the period of time that he was apparently away tending to a family emergency, he left feedback 12 times for other buyers.  Plus he was able to change his name during that time frame as well.  He has yet to respond about the over charge for shipping.  I'm really beginning to think that it might be smarted to try and cancel the transaction.  I'm guessing that I would have to notify ebay about this?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

"it might be smarted to try and cancel the transaction"

Buyers cannot cancel transactions.  They have two options:

1) they pay

2) they do not pay

Buyers can ask sellers to cancel transactions.  The procedure is for the seller to send eBay a request to cancel.  eBay then contacts the buyer to confirm cancellation.  Once done, the seller gets refund of his FVF.

Neither buyer or seller can leave feedback once the transaction is cancelled.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

I actually called eBay customer service and then sent an email to the seller requesting to cancel the transaction.  He was very quick in sending me a new invoice with the proper shipping costs but made no mention of my request to cancel.  Now I guess I either take the chance and finish the transaction or refuse to pay and have it look bad on me.  So much for protecting the buyer's intrests I guess. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

@candysweet26 wrote:

I actually called eBay customer service and then sent an email to the seller requesting to cancel the transaction.  He was very quick in sending me a new invoice with the proper shipping costs but made no mention of my request to cancel.  Now I guess I either take the chance and finish the transaction or refuse to pay and have it look bad on me.  So much for protecting the buyer's intrests I guess. 

In fairness, you did get what you wanted, which was your agreed-upon shipping rate.  What else do you need "protection" from?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

After everything, I honestly have no desire to take a chance with this seller.  I am just going by my gut instinct about having any further dealings with him. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

That is your decision to make. 

I hope you understand and realize that if the seller files three claims against you for non-payment, they will stay on your eBay record.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

I certainly don't expect you to do what I would do in your position ,(here comes the  BUT) ,but if I didn't feel comfortable with a seller who tried to pull a fast one on me only to be forced by ebay to cancel ,but instead he  still does what's most beneficial to him, if I were to deal with this situation,I would not pay and ask him to follow as ebay directed him to which is to cancel the transaction.

I would not worry about a black mark on my record,I am the one with money,therefore I have the power to shop from who ever I feel is not out to pull a wool over my eyes.

Shopping from this seller is asking for more problems.he has given you every reason not to buy from him ,you shouldn't ignore your gut feeling and  proceed to buy just for the fear of a black mark in your record.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

@patken123 wrote:

I certainly don't expect you to do what I would do in your position ,(here comes the  BUT) ,but if I didn't feel comfortable with a seller who tried to pull a fast one on me only to be forced by ebay to cancel ,but instead he  still does what's most beneficial to him, if I were to deal with this situation,I would not pay and ask him to follow as ebay directed him to which is to cancel the transaction.

I would not worry about a black mark on my record,I am the one with money,therefore I have the power to shop from who ever I feel is not out to pull a wool over my eyes.

I don't get the sense from the buyer that eBay forced the seller to do anything.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Concerns about a seller.

You are right,I got the impression that the OP got the idea to offer the seller to cancel after she contacted ebay:

I actually called eBay customer service and then sent an email to the seller requesting to cancel the transaction. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply