Curious about seeking resolution through PayPal.

I need your help to make a decision.

I bought a medical instrument(under $20) from a "reputable" seller  .

The seller sent a wrong item, I contacted him  and asked for a refund  and was not interested in a replacement, he agreed to his mistake and told me he would normally send a replacement but since I already showed no interest in that ,he also offered  a full refund and keep the item as well.

Here's my mistake, I was so impressed with his aknowledgment of his mistake (and his full cooperation /standing behind his word/product and service) , I thought if anyone needs a second chance it would be him so I told him the following:

If he could assure me that he would send the right item and ship it using the same method as the last time (took 7 days,Shipped on 2/4/21, received on 2/10/21) , I would accept his offer of replacement.

Then I received a  bogus tracking "Deutsche Post tracking " that shows an item was handed to their post office on a date that  Is totally wrong,  the date the item was handed over to their PO was 4 days befor I even asked for refund/replacement.

I kept checking the tracking and there's no movement at all, told him what was happening and reminded him that the deal was to send it the same method, his response was that he did except he used  actual stamps on the packet.

Anyhow I think considering the wrong date on the tracking and no movement whatsoever on the status, I think I have been had.

Now if I file an "item not as described", with eBay, I may loose the case even though he originally agreed to a refund without me shipping the wrong item back. mainly because I agreed to  a replacement instead of a refund.

On one hand I say to myself ,just forget it, don't bother getting your $18 item back but the fact that I was taken as a fool bothers me.

My other option is to wait acouple of weeks so it will be a month and with ( most  likely)  no change in the status , I could go through PayPal   resolution but don't know if PP would still want me to send the item back.

My question to you is, what would you do ? PP or eBay to get this resolved?

To me it makes more sense to go through Paypal. but in your experience do you think I would need to re ship the original item? will it be at myexpense?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ken.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Curious about seeking resolution through PayPal.

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay can’t say “no” to your claim if you don’t file through them. I’d say file with eBay first to try to avoid the possibility of having to pay for return shipping and take things from there.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Now if I file an "item not as described", with eBay, I may loose the case even though he originally agreed to a refund without me shipping the wrong item back. mainly because I agreed to a replacement instead of a refund.

No.

Your communication with the seller is not part of a formal Dispute.

(Also "lose". If you "loose" something, you set it free. If you"lose" you will never see it again.) (I worked as a copy editor. This is one of my bugaboos.)

Open a Not As Described eBay Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You have only 30 days from delivery for this.

The seller will be required to send you return shipping(or to agree that you do not have to return the item) and when the tracked parcel arrives, to refund you.

Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement.

If the 30 days have passed, go to Paypal.

You have 180 days from Payment for this. You could do it today, but...

Their Resolution Centre is at the top of the PP account page under Tools. Again, do NOT accept the offer of a replacement.
You will be told by PP to return the original item with tracking. When it is delivered, you will be refunded.

Tracked Package International starts at $31.55, so go with eBay first.

You can also open a chargeback with the credit card you back your PP account with. Card policies differ, but again, go for a cash refund, not a replacement.

It is also possible, that the seller has shipped without tracking, and gave you the false number to keep you happy while the shipment is in transit.

Sketchy, but....

If it has not arrived by Day 28 after the original delivery (near eBay's deadline) open the eBay Dispute.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you both for your replies, I am pleased that two of the most respected members here took the time to help me out with my inquiry.

I will wait as long as possible to see if the item arrives , then I will file INAD with eBay. it sounds like the the route to take.

Femmfan, it is very possible that I know the difference between lose and loose, just could not find the button to edit my post but at any rate, thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Don't get me started on "jibe" and "jive".  😎

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Update:

It was the right call to file an item not as described witheBay so I did that and the seller within a few hours refunded me without asking for the old item back.

If the replacement order does not get lost and actullay shows up leter on , I will return the refund,he already knows that.

Thank you both again for your thoughts  and  opinions,   as always you were right.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply