Disgusted with eBay lately-Difficutly in reaching anyone by phone, and new payment confusion

shplad
Community Member

Hi everyone:

I'm venting. Since the pandemic, and even before, eBay has made it nearly impossible for me to reach anyone by phone to ask a question, or resolve an issue. The method of logging, in, going through the help menus (which seem to change every week) and finding a link, then waiting for a call that sometimes doesn't even come is frustrating. Then, I get to speak with someone who acts like she speaks good English but doesn't, on phone connection via VoIP with tons of delay on each end.

Now, I keep getting these emails about the new payment system telling me that I must link a bank account to eBay in order to make payments. I'm not going to do that. When I try to reach someone via IM, she knows nothing, and can't speak English.

Can anyone confirm whether it is true that I will be forced to link a bank account, or I won't be able to buy, because if that is true, I'm likely just going to do all my shopping elsewhere.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Disgusted with eBay lately-Difficutly in reaching anyone by phone, and new payment confusion

marnotom!
Community Member

Are you sure these emails are from eBay?  Check for obvious signs of a phishing scam, such as sub-par grammar or sloppy layout in the email, as well as links that lead to suspicious non-eBay-related sites.  (Preview the links, don't click on them!)

My understanding is that if you're a buyer, you shouldn't need to provide banking details to eBay in order to use Managed Payments.  You can just pay with PayPal as usual, or use other payment options available through the system.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Disgusted with eBay lately-Difficutly in reaching anyone by phone, and new payment confusion

Since you are a very occasional seller, don't worry about those emails.

If as marnotom! points out they even are from eBay. Your description indicates you are being asked for information that those of us in the throes of moving to Managed Payments were NOT asked when we started.

Managed Payments is a payment processor run by Ayden for eBay.

It has nothing to do with buyers.

Only busy Canadian sellers have been "invited" to join, although eBay wants to have all sellers enrolled by 2022, I believe.

The program has already rolled out in Germany and the USA.

Yes, when you are enrolled in MP you will have chosen a dedicated bank chequing account to use with it.

Your buyers (and you as a buyer) will continue to use credit cards and Paypal. MP sellers will also be accepting ApplePay and GooglePay.

Given that we were first invited through eBay Messages, those emails are even more suspicious.
tyler@ebay 

As you know if you click on the address of the sender you will see the real address. Unless that ends with ebay.com or ebay.ca, it's a scam.

In any case, forward them to eBay and ask if this is in fact from eBay.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

2022? I'm receiving messages saying I have to sign up by 23 February or my listings will be disabled. I don't like the idea of this new payment method. Apart from suspecting a money grab, I'm not happy with eBay (or a contractor) having details like my bank account and Social Insurance number.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Do NOT give them your SIN.

It's there because someone copy/pasted the US form. Giving your SIN is entirely voluntary.

It would be illegal of eBay to demand your SIN.

I've seen one report of a seller who could not add new listings until he had signed up, but his current listings stayed live.

I guess everyone else has caved.

I've been listing since August although I was told I should be all signed up by October.

I am old and cranky.

The rollout is over time. Any specific seller may be given a specific date, the whole membership of sellers much later.

There is also the question of whether the OP is actually dealing with eBay or with a scammer.

Are you getting Messages? Or emails? What is the actual address of any emails?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I can verify they DO send emails.  I received both.  Emails and a message on my account.  And I verified the sender.  "Action required: Update your account details" subject line.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Seems like A LOT of sellers got this Feb 23rd deadline - so watch the problems multiply in the coming days, and the inability to reach anyone at ebay if there's issues.

I toyed with the idea of delaying my MP signup despite my Feb 23 deadline, but i figured it was better to rip off the bandaid now while my sales are slower, rather than in the spring when things pick up.

However, payout failures seem to be ongoing - even months after originally linking and verifying your bank info, I think due to Ebay repeating the bank account verification after (what appears to ne them) making system changes.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply