Duties and Taxes when buying sneakers from the U.S. in Canada with the Authenticator?

bam3312
Community Member
Hi there, I am looking to buy some sneakers that are from the U.S. through the Authticator program. I am from Canada and wondering what kind of or if I will be hit with duties and taxes. Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Duties and Taxes when buying sneakers from the U.S. in Canada with the Authenticator?

With the new NAFTA you can import goods with a value up to $150Cdn without duty and up to $40 without sales taxes from the USA or Mexico.

And with the Trans-Pacific Partnership this may also work if the sneakers are made in one of those thirteen member countries. (China is not a member.)

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

With the new NAFTA you can import goods with a value up to $150Cdn without duty and up to $40 without sales taxes from the USA or Mexico.

And with the Trans-Pacific Partnership this may also work if the sneakers are made in one of those thirteen member countries. (China is not a member.)

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
I haven’t had any experience myself with the program, but given the values of the shoes the Authenticator program deals with, your best bet if you decide to make a purchase is to expect that they’re going to be hit with customs charges when they reach Canada, and be pleasantly surprised if they’re not.

Pretty much like anything one buys from outside of Canada, really.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Alright thank you!
Message 4 of 4
latest reply