Fraudulent Sellers

Over the course of several months I have purchased two (2) Android TV Boxes both from different sellers and they have both turned out to be fraudulent. I am now in the aggravating process of having to claim back the funds etc. So after waiting months I still don't have what I wanted. I ended up getting the same product from Amazon for only a few dollars more and within a week of ordering. It should be noted that both products were ordered from China. eBay needs to really start cracking down on these frauds and to offer faster shipping options as they are really falling behind the eight ball in terms of competition. I can honestly say with these fraudulent transactions coupled with the snail mail shipping I am not giving eBay any consideration when shopping online anymore.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Fraudulent Sellers

mcrlmn
Community Member

The majority of the Android TV boxes and other media streaming devices sold on eBay and Amazon are knockoffs and junk.
I used the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player for years, streaming from my PC, Netflix, and etc to 3 rooms in my house.
I've since replaced them with 4K Firesticks and added additional apps such as Mezzmo, etc.
I'm very impressed and satisfied.
Keep your eyes open. They are frequently on sale.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
You got what you paid for.
For the umpteenth time, only buy electronics from endorsed or certified sources.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

This worries me

I am now in the aggravating process of having to claim back the funds etc.

when combined with this

Over the course of several months

EBay has a good Money Back Guarantee, but it starts On Delivery and lasts only 30 days.

Did you open an Item Not As Described Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page?

If you did the seller is required to send you  Return Shipping and when the tracking shows delivery to refund you.

Or he can refund without requiring the Refund.

Did he send Return Tracking? Did you ship the TV Boxes within five days as eBay also requires? Does the tracking show delivery?

If you followed those steps, you will be refunded.

Did you miss the 30 day deadline?

You are also covered by Paypal's Buyer Protection Policy, which starts on Payment and runs for 180 days.

Unfortunately, PP requires the Buyer to prove that the unwanted item has been returned to the Seller.

Did you return the boxes with tracking? I know international tracking is expensive. Time is important so using Surface shipping is a bad idea, even though it is cheaper. There are deadlines.

If the tracking shows the items have been received, you will be refunded.

You are also covered by the chargeback policy of the credit card I hope you back your PP account with. Card policies differ, so call the 1-800 number on the back of the card to enquire.

And as always, read the feedback.

An Asian seller with less than 99% positive feedback is sketchey.  Read the actual negs and neutrals to see if there are patterns (poor quality, counterfeit, poor communication, non-delivery, etc.)

Other sellers can be reasonable at 98% positive.

Anything lower than that is a Bad Seller.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

Same here by the time runs out and ebay gets off there butt to protect the buyer the money and time has laps and we as buyers get screwed they Ebay has to come up with a better idea this waiting 60 days for the resolution **bleep** to come up is crap if the email no longer works and seller has no items listed there in the wind there something wrong I bought NEW Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation Smart Speaker with Alexa- Heather Gray.I believe as long as ebay is collecting a fee from the seller listing that's good for them and take a blind eye saying we do everything to protect buyer

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

An Asian seller with less than 99% positive feedback is sketchey.it should be Ebays  responsibility to remove them and the resolution is just that waiting 30 60 90 days for Ebay to get off there ass and do something  for a seller to screw up by that time ebay does anything the seller changed emails and joined ebay under a different name and to do it buyers should be able to open a investigation anytime we feel we are getting screwed  and watch there item through tracking if the item hasn't moved in 30 day guess what its not going to but we as buyers have to wait for time to run out with the resolution **bleep** this item hasn't move since nov17 2018 ebay have a look email doesn't work and seller is no longer listed with ebay but here I sit waiting for Jan31 2020 so I can make a claim sounds stupid yup Ebay rules Ebay said  An Asian seller with less than 99% positive feedback is sketchey. THEN REMOVE THEM DONT SIT BACK AND WATCH. Buyers shouldn't have to do Ebays job  sent a message about NEW Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Generation Smart Speaker with Alexa- Heather Gray

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

If the sellers email is no longer working and seller page comes up as not registered ebay should be on top of this but me waiting 60 day`s to start a investigation is insane by the time Ebay get off there *** and looks into it time has laps and its to bad for the buyer As a buyer we should be able to report emails that don't work don't get answered and page that are no longer registered on ebay then doing the blind B/S wait for them to do there job and protect buyers this is the 3 time now Ebay An Asian seller with less than 99% positive feedback is sketchey Anything lower than that is a Bad Seller. Then( REMOVE THEM) its not rocket science why is this my job it should be there especially from China One more thing Ebay do your job and protect buyer`s
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

It is the buyer's choice to order items out of China.

There are choices and it is up to the buyer to do their research for potential purchases BEFORE ordering out of country. Cheaper does not always equate to being the best choice.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

seller with less than 99% positive feedback is sketchey.i

But.....

EBay doesn't use Feedback to assess seller's account. Nor do they use DSRs.

This is because so few leave FB at all, it's just an historical artifact left over from the 20th century internet, when shopping online was exciting and scary, not as it is today, how we buy toilet paper.

For example, on one of my accounts, fairly new, I have left four times as many FB for buyers as I have received. I've had that account for nearly two years and still don't have 100FB. (It is 100% positive, however.)

What eBay looks at is Disputes, Claims, particularly settled ones, and also at Defects.

However, like buyer cancellations, settled Disputed are kept private. In neither case, does eBay publish information, considering , I guess, that those transactions never happened.

So first.

Look at the time for Delivery.

If it is more than 30 days from payment, pass on purchase.

Mark the delivery window on your calendar.

When the last estimated date passes, you have 30 days to open a Dispute and a Claim.

The seller has five days to respond, which means basically, to refund.

What this means is that the customer has to take responsibility for his decision to purchase from that particular seller.

There are few things outside of the Collectibles categories that are unique on eBay. Rare, hard to find, even expensive, but rarely unique.

but here I sit waiting for Jan31 2020

As mentioned by other posters, Paypal allows Disputes to be opened on Payment, and the window is 180 days.

The eBay transaction number is part of the PP invoice you paid.

And say that the scammer seller is Not A Registered User. That usually speeds things up.

Note that opening a PP Dispute means that eBay will not consider a later Dispute if the PP Dispute fails because: double dipping. But PP will consider a Dispute if the eBay Dispute fails.

You are also covered by the chargeback policy of the credit card you use to back your PP account. Policies vary.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Fraudulent Sellers

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 9 of 9
latest reply