GSP currently has $0.00 import fees for a $200 item...

So what happens?  If I win and they add duties, am I allowed the cancel the order?  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If it is an auction its possible that there will be import fees shown as the price goes up.  When you click on the shipping tab in the listing, does it say 0.00 import fees or does it say import fees shown at checkout?   

If it is a buy it now listing and not an auction, you can click on add it to your cart to see if anything is added when you look at your cart.  If there are import fees, you can delete it from your cart if you don't want to buy it.  Normally if you are looking on .ca at a buy it now listing it should have the import fees showing in the shipping tab if there are going to be any...they shouldn't add them. 

What type of item is it and does it say where it was manufactured?

If you want, you can give us the item number so that we can look at the listing.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

GSP doesn't add duty.

It adds import fees which they will use to pay duty (if any), sales taxes (always) and their own small service charge.

But these only show if you are shopping on eBayCanada.

And they will vary with the price of the item- which is why they don't show on auctions where the price is still to be determined.

They will also vary with your province, again, sales taxes.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Are there listings for similar items that also have no import charges attached to them?

If so, your import fees will likely be added to the shipping charge instead.  If this is an auction listing (you refer to "winning" it), this could be problematic if you're hoping to pay the shipping charge as stated in the listing prior to bidding, as it could go up.

But we do need more information on this listing to give you more informed advice.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Well I dug into the GSP user agreements and after seeing this clause I realize I'm not buying this anyhow;

You alone are responsible for any customs duties, taxes, surcharges, fines, penalties, or other charges which may be imposed on you by customs or tax officials after a GSP Item has successfully cleared customs and been delivered to (or made available for pickup at) the delivery address specified by you or the collection center near you that is designated by Pitney Bowes.

In other words, we're going to charge you duties but if Canada decides to charge you more or twice, that's your responsibility.

thanks for nothing lol
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

For what it’s worth, I’ve never seen on the discussion boards any clearcut examples posted where this has happened when everything has gone by the book.

Instances where buyers have had to pay customs charges upon receipt of an item forwarded by the GSP seem to be cases where the seller actually sent the item directly to the buyer instead of to the forwarding hub in Kentucky.

Actually, I lied. A weird situation along those lines was posted here a couple of weeks ago. I’ll see if I can bump it up.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply